close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

GT Math Teachers

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Woofie, Apr 27, 2012.

1. Woofie

Woofie Disirregardless CLM

Do we have any high school math teachers on board? I just agreed to tutor a young lady and I'm trying to figure out what topics are generally covered in Algebra 1 so I can get organized.

Any help is appreciated.

2. SPIN2010

SPIN2010 Searching ...

Laws! Laws! Laws! Teach those first and you have a much better path. Don't even get the math book out for two weeks (or until the laws can be recited by the pupil).

3. Woofie

Which laws? It's been fifteen years since I took Algebra 1.

I remember learning distributive and commutative properties. What others am I missing?

I know I sound ignorant in math, but I'm really not; I'm just ignorant in teaching math.

4. NIB

NIB

The one thing I always see people struggling with is the Order of Operations or PEMDAS.

5. cgwahl

cgwahl Sheriffs a near

http://www.khanacademy.org/

He doesn't have a specific Algebra 1 section, but he does have an Algebra 1 examples from some book. So might be able to use that and pick and choose from the other areas.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  6. glockaviator

glockaviator

A Tutor. That usually means they are taking a course. Just use the course book and homework. Have the student do the homework and bring it to you and work on the problems the student doesn't understand. Review the teacher's lectures with the student so they understand them.

7. Woofie

She goes to my old high school and has my old math teacher. Let's just say that using lecture notes won't be useful.

8. NOLA_glock

NOLA_glock Shrug Life

9. Haldor

Haldor Formerly retired EE.

Except she is going to be taking your old math teachers tests. She needs to be preparing to pass his tests.

10. Z71bill

Z71bill

Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
  11. glockaviator

glockaviator

You want to teach your tutor student using the same techniques that he or she is getting from the course at school. Not teach some other way of doing the problems. You need to use the school course as an outline. It's done that way because it makes sense and works. Algebra 1 covers a lot of territory and there are different ways of solving the same problems. Make sure you teach the student the same way as is being taught in the course. Very important.

Also, it's usually best if the student doesn't tell the teacher he has a tutor. It always seem to work against the student when the teacher finds out. Not easy for the student to keep it secret. It's not because it's wrong, it's just that...it always seem to work against the student, thats all.