close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

GT Florida Hog Hunt?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by redskyzatknight, Feb 26, 2003.

1. redskyzatknight

redskyzatknight Glock S&W Kahr

anywhere in the state. public most likely but if you have some land and want to clear a few hogs thats great too. i'd pay a few bucks to access private land.

2. noway

noway

Take alook at Boar Outdoor sights, Big Cypress Indian reserves & Ron Guide services, they all offer cheap economical hunts.

If you find any private landowners that offer up a small fee let me know. I ran across a listing in the Palm Bch Post and SunSerntinel for hunts around the north east (IIRC) of Okeechobee in St Lucie/Martin counties.

add: The cheapest hunst will be on free public land such as the WMA. This I plan on doing at Dupui or Corbett WMA both right along HWY 710 in far west Palm Bch county.

3. Fireant

Fireant

noway,

If you can lay your hands on one of those adds with a number could you pass it on to me? The northeast part of Florida is at my back door. I'm always looking for a nearly free place to hunt hogs.

Thanks

4. redskyzatknight

i think noway was talking about a western part of PBC, in s.e. Florida. i'm in n.e. florida. www.floridahunting.org has all public hunting areas in the state. i was just seeing if anyone had info. on any private land or if anybody wanted to go out to some public land to take a few. noway - any more info. you have would be appreciated as i have read about your hog hunts a few times. by the way, my Mom lives in PBC and i'm down that way about twice a month.

5. noway

noway

I can't help you for hunts north of Martin county but do some research on the floridagame and whatever websites you can find. I found out alot of information and knowledge is gained from talking around. So find a hunting club, gun range, fish & bait shop and talk around.You will be surprise of the information these folks have.

The cheap way to go ( hunting license and WMA permit ) is to try the FWC WMA hunt grounds. Granted you're overall chances of harvesting a hog is slim and not gaurantee but it is the low cost alternative and fun. To give you an idea, the 2 hunting ground mention eralier bagged over 150 hogs during general gun.I have no figure for bow/muzzloading so if you do both season you could widen the chance of getting a hog. I'm have been thinking about buying a horton crossbow setup just for getting alonger hunting period per year (bow followed by general gun ).

redskyzatknight;

Don't have one of thoose ADs in front of me but they start to come out prior to the begining of early duck season, So keep you're radar and scope up. One guy was offering $150.00 hunts for hunitng on private land right around PBC/Martin line near Stuart. I think some special hunting is going on right outside of South Bay and Belle Glades. I'm still looking into this. Next time you down south contact me if you're going to be in town for awhile.

They ( hogs ) are out in the field "you" just have to find them.
    Good luck.

6. redskyzatknight

thanks noway. i'll drop you a p.m. next time i'm down there.

7. noway

noway

Contact me prior to coming down to PBC area and I can maybe help you get one of these.

8. redskyzatknight

;f can't wait! nice one there. talk with you soon.

9. hapuna

hapuna Trusted Member

So I was wondering is there a large difference in taste between a wild boar and a feral pig or regular pig???? And do you guys eat these?

10. noway

noway

yes & yes

Wild hogs have less fat overall and more muscle thus their meat is more coarser than let's say a domestic pig. The meat naturaly isn't as juicey as a piece of meat bought form you're "store".

The meat can be over cooked turning a fine piece of cut into a hard jerky like type of meat. So one has to be more cautious on how they cook the meat.

I personally beleive you should icecold water soak the meat with vineagar applecider and then prior to cooking a good marinade. I currently have a few pieces marinading right now in a home brewed Mojo seasoning constructed from sour oranges, lemons, cumin, sparse amount of sage, fresh ground blk pepper, chopped garlic, and kosher salt.

Can you say " Yum Yum!"

11. davesglock30

davesglock30

i'm up for a northern/central florida hog hunt! i just got a 2002-2003 florida hunting regulations handout from the local tag office and it has a listing along with a map showing where they are all at of those places where you pay to hunt. it has a brief rundown of each place including land area in acres and general prices and how many days the hunt is. there are alot of them in the $50-75 range.

12. bvmjethead

bvmjethead

That's a nice sow ya got there. I need to come on down and hunt some wild pig myself.

What did ya shoot her with?

13. m65swede

m65swede

Actually, wild hogs have less fat and less muscle than their domestic counterparts. These modern pigs have muscles popping out all over the place! The wild meat is often more flavorful because it comes from older animals than farm raised pork. Check out the boar below (from a local producer):

Swede

14. noway

noway

{and less muscle}

What do you mean less muscle?

That seems hard to believe since watching my grand dad raise hogs as domestic hog farmer and comparing these to the wild hogs out in the fields.

(e.g)

A domestic hog standing in a pen 24x7 getting feed cornfeed and everything else vrs a hog running around 24x7 eating whatever it can find. I would think the wilder hog would have more muscle due to it getting it's "work out" more than a porky the pig in a stall on some farm.

On the subject of age have anybody ever check out the hog teeths to get the estimated ages of games taken in the field? if yes whats the oldest hog have you taken?

15. m65swede

m65swede

I know that is hard to believe, but is the truth nonetheless. If you butcher a wild and a farm raised pig of equal live weights and compare them, here are the results: The farm pig will have a higher % of muscle and fat while the wild pig will have higher percentages of hair, hide, bone, guts, etc. Muscle is not dependent on excercise but rather on genetics and diet. The farm pig holds the advantage in these areas.

Farm pigs weigh about 3# each at birth, and normally reach a market weight of 250# at 5-6 months of age. The best ones do it in 4 months!

I would suspect that any attempt to age pigs by examining the teeth would prove inconclusive. Herbivores such as sheep, goats, horses, deer, etc. can be aged with good success, but pigs are omnivores. They eat meat, grass, vegetable matter, acorns, and root crops. Most of their teeth are permanent like ours, but they have canines that continue to grow throughout their life. We bring in our mature herd boars every year or so and cut their tusks with bolt cutters. Those SOB's fight each other; trimming the tusks minimizes serious injury.

Don't know how long wild pigs can live, but farm pigs can reach 7-10 years old.

Swede

16. noway

noway

Surprising information, I'm still lacking beliving this info on the muscle %.

Also the wild vrs domestic hog meat taste is effected by the age but more so due to the fat that's marbling ( hope I'm using the technical name ) into the meat from their diet and the feed additives that are given to them. This is waht gives the meat it mositure, juices and flavor. A typical store bought pork has more fat that highly effects the taste that we are so common with vrs the wild hog has little or none of this. And I'm not talking about the fatty trim around pork chops and butterfly cuts, but the inter fatty substance in the pork meat.

Some will also say for the boars that the castration of males like any wild/domestic animal enhances the meat tastfulness due to the testostrone being elimnated. My granda would castrate all his piglets prior to 2weeks due to the sow milk is high in anitboties and will decrease the chance of infection. A castred hog just like a rooster and bull, all taste better (imho)