Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
5,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Challenge #1 here
https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/gt-dryfire-ccw-challenge-1.1819822/

Challenge #2 here, but not well participated in.
https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/gt-dryfire-ccw-challenge-2.1821310/#post-28677396

Challenge #3
Let’s try 7 yards, hands below belt, facing 180 degrees from target with your normal carry gear from whatever concealment you’d wear to Walmart. On random beep, turn and dry fire one shot to a sheet of copy paper torso high.

In order to lock down a time, you have to be able to do it three times in a row (prevents lucky shot). See previous challenges for details.

@pgg00 @jr24 @Green Dragoon @PrescottGlock @yep380 @arkdweller22 @xls177 @Tanger

·
Registered
21,454 Posts
I didn't even see challenge number 2

·
Registered
8,093 Posts
Should have time tomorrow, wife is off on a cut shift and I've already got reloading time green lighted.

Reactions: -JCN-

·
Registered
8,093 Posts
Can I comp 3 tenths for not shopping at Walmart?
Have not stepped in a Walmart in quite a few years. My wife is a Target loyalist, worked for them for a number of years.

·
Registered
47 Posts
JCN
I hadn't heard of that Commander timer before looks pretty nice.
How well does it work and will it really pick up dry fire reliably?

·
Registered
8,531 Posts
Challenge #1 here
https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/gt-dryfire-ccw-challenge-1.1819822/

Challenge #2 here, but not well participated in.
https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/gt-dryfire-ccw-challenge-2.1821310/#post-28677396

Challenge #3
Let’s try 7 yards, hands below belt, facing 180 degrees from target with your normal carry gear from whatever concealment you’d wear to Walmart. On random beep, turn and dry fire one shot to a sheet of copy paper torso high.

In order to lock down a time, you have to be able to do it three times in a row (prevents lucky shot). See previous challenges for details.

@pgg00 @jr24 @Green Dragoon @PrescottGlock @yep380 @arkdweller22 @xls177 @Tanger
I'll do this today JC and report back.

·
Registered
5,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
JCN
I hadn't heard of that Commander timer before looks pretty nice.
How well does it work and will it really pick up dry fire reliably?
@sciolist has one too, maybe he can comment.

My normal use patterns and experiences are as follows. I can specifically test things for you if you have questions.

Live fire:
  1. I still like my wrist mounted Shotmaxx for simple draw drills (quick to see and reset) and especially for running and gunning practice where I don’t have to have something extra on my belt or bouncing around.
  2. I really like the Commander for its ability to port times to the PractiScore app. I’m only an “A” class shooter, not a GM like @sciolist so I still am learning the speed to accuracy trade off at different distances. With the Commander, I can set up a classifier or practice stage and it will send the times to the app for easy HF calculation. This is most useful to be able to see draw and reload times at a glance on multi-string stages.
Dry fire:
  1. Most shot timers that pick up dry fire can do it... if all you’re doing is pulling the trigger. If you’re drawing and changing magazines or running... I’ve found that all those noisy things get counted by the timer too. So I don’t normally use timers in dry fire in that way.
  2. When doing dry fire, I prefer something like the “dry fire” app on Android that you can set it to do reps and you just try and clear the par time. That to me seems more efficient for practice where I’m going for reproducibility and not trying to get a single best time.
  3. If you were trying to do something like a single best time with draw or magazine change, then the iTarget laser app is good. But it is a single shot thing, I think. I don’t know if it has capability to track multi hits on a string (which you would need a reset trigger for).
  4. Dry fire string practice, the most reliable way of tracking each shot I’ve found is with gas blowback Airsoft (can be done without pellets) and the Shotmaxx which can pick up the recoil impulse as well as the noise to track a shot. I can get split times and such from something like that.

In reality, for dry fire I usually only use par timers as I have a pretty good internal clock calibration for a 0.17 split vs a 0.34 one.

·
On the Border
15,282 Posts
I'm very happy with mine.

I don't use dry fire gimmicks, just conventional practice. For both dry and live solo, I use the timer on my belt at 12:00. For production with a 30" waist, you pretty much need to do the closure in front. So the timer fits into the joint offset.

I bought Arenas' belt clip, took off all his brackets and made a single piece of kydex to work like Double Alpha's belt clip for the 7000.

The main thing I was looking for with the Commander was the larger final time readout, for vid's and working majors. The 7000 is really too small for those applications.

In addition to these 2, I've used the PP1 and PP2 pretty extensively. I trashed my PP1 dropping reloads on it at 12:00. The Commander is more intuitive/less complex than the 7000, but still retains all the features I want, notably multi-par.

I like the PP1's simplicity and readout size, but it lacks the more sophisticated features and settings. I like the PP2's backlight, but strongly dislike its interface.

IMG_2151.JPG
IMG_2152.JPG
IMG_2154.JPG

·
Registered
8,531 Posts
OK.....I ran my drills. My time is 1.70 seconds.

I used the same rig as before:
* HK P30L
* Raven Tactical OWB Kydex holster. Strong side just forward of 4 o'clock.
* Cover was my flannel shirt. Even though I wear it unbuttoned, I still find it smoother and faster to lift the shirt my offhand. With jackets, I brush the jacket back with my strong hand. A flannel shirt isn't heavy enough to "swing" back when trying to brush it it backwards.

Once again with this drill, I started at 2 seconds. I went down to 1.9 from there and then to 1.8. I got stuck at 1.8 for a bit completing the trigger pull right at the 1.8 mark. I thought that was it, but then I did 10 more draws at that speed, then 1.75 and finally stopped at 1.7.

I stopped at 1.7 because although I was pulling the trigger in enough time and I had good front sight acquisition, it was still more of a flash-site picture. I felt like if I was firing actual live rounds, I would have like a bit more time on the front site before pulling the trigger. I guess I would like to be more "deliberate".

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
I tried it. Once I can get some ammo back in my bag, I'm gonna try it actually firing live ammo (turn first then draw.)
I think I did it a few times. Maybe four in a row? Had to stop- the timer was getting on everyone's nerves!
Good drill that covers what always plagues my shooting: all the things I need to do in order to connect, but not enough time to remember to do them. It's like riding a unicycle while juggling!

·
Registered
8,531 Posts
I tried it. Once I can get some ammo back in my bag, I'm gonna try it actually firing live ammo (turn first then draw.)
I think I did it a few times. Maybe four in a row. Had to stop the timer was getting on everyone's nerves!
what was your time?

·
Registered
8,093 Posts
OK.....I ran my drills. My time is 1.70 seconds.

I used the same rig as before:
* HK P30L
* Raven Tactical OWB Kydex holster. Strong side just forward of 4 o'clock.
* Cover was my flannel shirt. Even though I wear it unbuttoned, I still find it smoother and faster to lift the shirt my offhand. With jackets, I brush the jacket back with my strong hand. A flannel shirt isn't heavy enough to "swing" back when trying to brush it it backwards.

Once again with this drill, I started at 2 seconds. I went down to 1.9 from there and then to 1.8. I got stuck at 1.8 for a bit completing the trigger pull right at the 1.8 mark. I thought that was it, but then I did 10 more draws at that speed, then 1.75 and finally stopped at 1.7.

I stopped at 1.7 because although I was pulling the trigger in enough time and I had good front sight acquisition, it was still more of a flash-site picture. I felt like if I was firing actual live rounds, I would have like a bit more time on the front site before pulling the trigger. I guess I would like to be more "deliberate".
Apart from my EDC X9 IWB, the same.

1.7 with enough of a site picture to not feel like I'm doing damage to my habits by rushing further.

Got a few under 1.6 but it was pretty awful, accuracy wise.

·
Registered
8,531 Posts
Apart from my EDC X9 IWB, the same.

1.7 with enough of a site picture to not feel like I'm doing damage to my habits by rushing further.

Got a few under 1.6 but it was pretty awful, accuracy wise.
that EDC X9 is a nice piece. I saw your post when you got it and I've shot a friend's of mine. I may try this challenge again today with a 1911. Maybe I'm faster because of the SAO trigger but, maybe I"ll be slower because of the safety and since I don't practice as much with it.

·
Registered
8,093 Posts
that EDC X9 is a nice piece. I saw your post when you got it and I've shot a friend's of mine. I may try this challenge again today with a 1911. Maybe I'm faster because of the SAO trigger but, maybe I"ll be slower because of the safety and since I don't practice as much with it.
I noticed when really trying to go fast, like sub 1 sec (still not there, but it's a thing I've been trying a bit) on #1 the safety finally started slowing me down. At range when I'm actually getting a sight picture I don't have an issue as I get the safety off when my sights start hitting the target as part of my grip.

·
Registered
5,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I really like these drills for practicing with normal clothes and gear. It’s amazing how small ergonomic changes in clearing cover gear can really reduce hang up and improve efficiency.

Glad people are playing!

·
Registered
81,204 Posts
I've always dry fire trained with my CCW clothing and gear.
Smooth is fast, accuracy is final.

·
Registered
8,093 Posts
I've always dry fire trained with my CCW clothing and gear.
Smooth is fast, accuracy is final.
Me too, most of my range time is in CCW clothing and gear as well. I don't compete so I really only have the one skillset to work on. Apart from basic marksmanship of course.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts