close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

GT contributor question

Discussion in 'Announcements & Support' started by repete34, May 24, 2003.

1. repete34

repete34 In God I trust

I bought a barrel from cheeks and wondered when or if my user name would get the GT contributor logo?

2. Short Cut

Short Cut PatrioticMember CLM

Buying a barrel from another member in and of itself doesn't constitute a donation to GT. However if you donated funds by mailing a check or forwarding money via paypal to Eric that would make you a GT contributer. If you've not done this but like to click on the word "Donations" at the top of the page. This will describe the donation process. After making a donation it may take several days for Eric to be able to update your profile with the contributer logo.

Personally speaking I do think that it is money well spent because it keeps this site in operation and allows us to share information as well as items for sale. I contributed last year when Eric first allowed donations and again last Monday because Eric can use the funds to keep this high volume site operational. Feels good to help out. :)

3. repete34

repete34 In God I trust

I uderstand that a purchase from another member will mean nothing in the contribution dept. But the proceeds from the said purchase were to go to GT as a donation. I don't want to cause any problems. I I could afford to give money to the site I would. But I make less than 20,000 a year and can hardly afford my families to habits... living indoors and eating regular. I save for some time to purchase the barrel from cheeks so it could be a donation. I could have bought one from someone else. If it won't show up... no problem... it was only a question.

shor cut,
    It is good that you can afford to donate to the site, good for all the users. Should I not use the site because I have not donated or do I need to get your permission?

4. Short Cut

Dude, don't get defensive I'm just trying to answer your question and the line of people that are stepping up to do so is pretty short. I can only go by what you wrote in your first post. I'm not Miss Cleo, ok?

I don't know who cheeks is or what he/she did with the proceeds from your purchase. Although it isn't customary or required that any part of the proceeds from transactions generated in the market place ads go to this website.

Some folks that value this site and have the ability at this point in time to contribute do so in order to help ease the burden on the site's owner. However GT is a free forum and contributions to date have been purely voluntary but do us all a favor and check your attitude at the door.

I've done what I can do here.

OUT

5. Glock'r

Glock'r Remember

So then, where's your "GlockTalk contributor" icon?
    I had tried contributing before but got an error message. I PM'd Eric about it and also started a post about it. Eric never bothered to answer me so I figured he really didn't care about contributions any more and I never bothered to try again. This is a great site with alot of valuable information and I would like to help keep it going but if the site's "owner" doesn't have the time to address issues with people trying to help out, what are we supposed to do?

Glock'r ;c

6. Short Cut

After my initial contribution last year the icon was added to my posts it stayed there until the second request for funds to which I didn't participate. I imagine that the icon will eventually be added again after my most recent contribution and that will be nice but it's not the reason why myself, or I'm guessing most folks, choose to contribute and it's only just been one week since I last contributed.

I certainly would never speak for Eric or any of the moderators but I do have experience working closely with the owner of another popular forum. This other site is high volume though not as busy as GT. The owner of this site is getting between 100-200 emails every week. On top of that he gets a staggering amount of Private Messages.

We all would like to be timely in returning the messages we receive but when dealing with that kind of volume it is overwhelming to even read every message let alone to respond to them all.

If a business was receiving that many emails and was falling behind on answering them they could hire additional help to keep up with the volume. The problem is different for a non-profit website like this where the owner and moderators already are saddled with ever growing responsibilities yet continue to donate their time and effort.

My only suggestion would be to try to contribute again now that the contribution page is working correctly or, depending on the issue, try to contact one of the other moderators if Eric hasn't been able to follow up with your message. Hope it works out for you.

7. jtetterton

jtetterton I'm the shizzit

I'm not trying to be an *** here.. but.. I tried to donate as well.. I sent PM's, Emails, and posted in a thread started by another member who had the same problem.. I didn't get a reply :-\.. So, I spent my extra money that week on something else...

This IS a great site, but if the people in charge don't stay on top of things, it won't continue to grow..

J

8. AmeriGlo

AmeriGlo

Eric,

I hope you are still taking new advertisers. We'd like to 'contribute' by purchasing a banner. Please contact us.

Thanks,

Rick
    sales@ameriglo.net

9. Short Cut

Hey guys I heard it through the grapevine that Eric is in the process of moving to another state. Just wanted to give you a heads-up so you'll know why he's been unavailable.

10. reptiman

reptiman Go Ducks

A lot of people that donated didn't ask for the icon. I donated to help keep the site up, not to get an icon or awards.