close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

GSXR 750 vs Turkey @120+

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by DeLandSkyjumper, Aug 5, 2006.

1. DeLandSkyjumper

DeLandSkyjumper Play'naNewGame

Just the short version. Refer to the title and pics.

Like the title says and the pics show. I hit a big *** turkey yesterday morning out on one of our country roads. I passed the chic in front of me at 114, btw we were already over the posted speed limit when I decided to go around her and just stayed on the gas. I backed off for a few seconds because of an oncoming vehicle that had rounded the turn a ways down the road, when I noticed it was a pick up I rolled back on the gas and a few seconds later is when the turkey came out of the woods and onto the road. I held my line, stayed tucked in and rolled on the gas more hoping to beat it or at least just have it graze me (also brasing for a direct hit just in case), well as it turned out, I think it took flight at the last second and the rest is history. The bike took on a severe wobble and was able to recover it without going down. It banged up my hand pretty good, chipped a bone in my thumb, all my nuckles are sore as crap and noticed this morning, from my index finger to pinky are swollen and I think I messed up a tendin or 2 in my hand, something the PA at the hospital mentioned I may have done and the Xrays wouldn't show it. Btw, after he came thru the fairing/windscren, he ended up glancing off my lid, the smudge marks are still on it.

I've got some fix'n to do before I mount it again. Hopefully it won't be too long.

People, WEAR YOR GEAR!!!!!!So what if it is hot, I'm in FL, ride every day in a leather jacket, pants, boots and a lid. Even though I was haul'n *** and didn't go down doesn't mean that something can't happen to you or me at slower speeds around or under the posted speed limit and make us go down. I got bashed from a fellow member here on another board because I was speeding and like I told him, I bought the bike to ride. At the time I went around her, it was open road and I was gonna have a little fun. Yeah, I hit a turkey, messed my bike up and my hand, but i'm not gonna live the "what if" bit.

Dress for the crash, not the ride!!!!!

2. DeLandSkyjumper

Notice the feathers? Like 1 of the guys at my dealer said today, good thing he didn't hit my front brake dead on.

3. DeLandSkyjumper

Wonder if he said "AFLAC" rite before I clobbered him?

4. gruntmedik

gruntmedik Honk Honk CLM

Glad you came out better than the turkey. :supergrin:

5. D25

D25 The Quick

Wow. Good save. Glad you're OK.

6. DeLandSkyjumper

gruntmedic and D25, it was close. I don't think I woulda walked away from that had I gone down.

I ended up speaking with the woman and the couple in the truck and both mentioned from what they saw, they were amazed I kept the bike up. The couple in the truck went back down to where I hit the turkey to gather what parts they could find from my bike and told me that he was in 3 pieces and was DOS (my words), I think they reported him dead on the side of the road.

7. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

Hmm...where have I seen this before?

Internet's a small place afterall, eh?

I'll spare my comments this time around. ;)

8. DeLandSkyjumper

:) StAugGixxer is DeLandSkyjumper. It's all cool.

9. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

If you were in freefall when that happened, you could still say that turkey "stole your air" from under you when he went low on the dive......... ;)

:cool:

10. DeLandSkyjumper

yeah, but what would piss me off more is if he stole my air on a high speed final.

11. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

That happened to me a few times in Quincy...... :shocked:

:cool:

12. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

What? You mean you didn't map out your ride by driving first through the area with your car to ensure that no turkeys would be crossing the road? You didn't ride at EXACTLY the speed limit or less? You didn't look far ahead to plan for your route? You didn't do the Jedi mind trick on the foul fowl?

No wonder the safety nazis were out to murder you.:clown:

13. Twisted10

Twisted10

14. BCM

BCM

WOW! glad your here to tell the tale, were you on a straight section of road when it hit? good on you for being able to keep it up and ride it out, that bike looks trashed! were you running a steering damper?, if so, it had to help with the tank slapper.
    I'll twist it up on the road as well when no one is around, but thats why I went racing and try and do track days, to get my aggression out on the track, because you never know whats coming at you on the road. Are you going to put a feather above your gauges as reminder?

15. bac1023

bac1023

I'm glad you're OK. It could have been much worse.

16. DeLandSkyjumper

BCm, yeah, it was a straight stretch of road where we collided. Just glad it didn't happen in a turn cause I don't think I'd be here. Yep, running a stock dampener and I definately think it aided in keeping the bike up.

Funny you mentioned about not knowing when something will comeout on the road. I weighed my options when I left my docs office and decided to avoid a busy commute back on the interstate and the thought of wildlife did cross my mind again since I was coming back along the river and open counrty. Smooth ride all the way up and back until I got with in about 2 miles of the house. No, but I am putting turkey killer on the wind screen.

17. BCM

BCM

Offical (living) member of the TK club, have pictures to prove it! LOL
    I came on, read your story, next day took my Duc for a quick store run, and I'll be damned, not a 1/4mi. up the road, an adult hen and at least 10, yearling, about 1/2 adult size chic's just getting ready to head across the road, only doing about 40mph, saw them in plenty of time, grab the clutch, blipped the rev's and stopped them in their tracks. Even going slow, damn they do have good camo.
    Nothing like yours, stay save, keep the 180 degree personal radar on!

18. DeLandSkyjumper

Dang BCM, you coulda been set for the next few holiday season's.

:supergrin:

19. TimP

TimP 1 Proud Infidel

Delandskyjumper: I can hear it now. "You guys aint gonna believe this ****...... :)

Glad your ok buddy.

20. NHGLOCKSTER1

NHGLOCKSTER1 Una-Stamus!

ya know, nobody else is saying it, but what the F#*k were you thinking going that fast? Im sorry to have to be the one to tell you, but you're a dumbass. Ive been riding a lot of years, and i have no respect for sportbike riders (or any riders, for that matter) that think that just because thier bike can go 180, they can too. im not even going to begin speaking about the wheelies. enough, already. we bikers have enough people looking at us through a microscope trying to shut our sport down. ok, im stepping off the soapbox now