close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

GSSF Youth Participation Questions???...

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by ohyousooners, Jan 19, 2010.

1. ohyousooners

ohyousooners

I'm new to GSSF and looking to participate in two events for 2010. My 13 year old son has expressed interest in getting involved too. The rules indicate youth participation, however, I have a couple of questions...

1) Is there a minimum age to be a member of GSSF and compete in the GSSF events?

2) How does the member Purchase Certificate work for people under the age for legal handgun purchase? My desire is to secure a Glock 17C for my son for use in GSSF competition. Is it possible for the Purchase Certificate to be used by a Parent so a Glock 17C could be purchased?

Thanks for any help on the matter.

2. James5m

James5m

If he can hold,shoot,reload and exhibit proper gun safety and handling, He can play with the big guys.

As for the Purchase Certificate. He will NOT receive one until he reaches the age of 21. That means that Dad's going to get the 17C with his certificate.

You know as a junior shooter your son can shoot a long slide or C model in Civilian or Master stock division

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010

3. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

a C model would seriously LIMIT the categories he could shoot.

If you go to gssfonline.com and click registration each category has the pistols that may be used in it.

4. Jon_R

Jon_R

My 14 year old Daughter will be shooting the Orlando match with a G17. She already does USPSA and IDPA so safety shouldn't be an issue as long as we know what the GSSF procedures are.

From looking at it there is no reason to put a holster on. Just leave it bagged and take it out and load when told to. When done with stage clear it bag it and move on.

5. James5m

James5m

What I'm saying is Jim is that he can shoot a Long slide or C model in a division that doesn't allow them. (ie Am/Civ Mst stk)

The way I see it he can use a 17C and shoot it in AmCiv/Comp/Master stock/Unlimited.

Taken from the current rules section 170.90
    Junior (<18) competitors may also use “C” and “long-slide” models (G-17C, 17L, 19C, 20C,
    21C, 22C, 23C, 24, 24C, 31C, 32C, 34, 35) to shoot in the Civilian or Master-Stock divisions.

6. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

ok, the restrictions would only be on dad.

7. ohyousooners

ohyousooners

Thanks for the heads up everyone. My son is excited about this possibility. I have received word from GSSF that confirms what has been posted here.

However, dad has learned that he can drop a non-compensated Glock 17 barrel into the Glock 17C and use it anywhere a standard Glock 17 is permitted.