close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Gssf Tip #8-35

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by BCarver, May 25, 2003.

1. BCarver

BCarver CLM Millennium Member

This week's tip #8-35 is being hosted by Tony Clemens.

TOPIC: What order do you shoot the targets on Five-To-Glock?

Tony's response to this topic is:
    Personally, I’ve always shot the targets on Five-To-Glock from left-to-right. We read and write that way, so it always seemed more natural. As with the plates, I tried right-to-left, but it didn’t result in better, or even equal, times, so I stuck with left-to-right. Everyone is different, though, so I suggest you try both directions and stick with whatever direction feels more natural and results in the best times.

One thing I sometimes see competitors do, that I do not recommend, is shooting from near-to-far or far-to-near. If this is done, the shooter sweeps the same “dead space” between the targets several times during each run, wasting valuable time. Also, the distance between the targets is greater when they are engaged in this order. Whether you decide to shoot left-to-right or right-to-left, shoot the targets in the order that your muzzle covers them. Less gun movement is required to engage the targets as you come to them, resulting in less time elapsed.

Shoot at a pace that your sights dictate. As in every shooting sport, do not break the shot until your sights are adequately aligned to achieve the desired result. A typical Five-To-Glock run will start off with fairly quick shots at the beginning, slower precise shots in the middle, and fairly quick shots to complete it. Shots at the 20 and 25 yard targets will take a more precise sight alignment than the 5 yard target. Take whatever time is necessary to get the required sight picture that will result in an accurate shot. An accurate 15-second run with no time added is better than a 5-second run with 15 seconds (or more) added for points down resulting from a lack of adequate sight alignment and careful trigger control.

The Five-To-Glock stage contains the only shots in a GSSF match that are 25 yards away – make sure they are accurate shots!

Posted by Bobby Carver for Tony Clemens.

2. 40blaster

40blaster

Take a sight picture, of each target, before loading.

3. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

I like to go right to left leaving the 5 yard target for last. The 5 yard D-1 is as close to a "gimme" as there is in GSSF. Shooting the other targets first leaves you with a fast "gimme" at the end of each string. Shooting the 5 first can let you get into a rhythm that is hard to break, i.e. too fast. I find it better to start slow and end fast rather than the other way around, slowing down can be hard to do. ;) Another item is when using light reloads in an open gun with a scope, is that you're moving away from your ejected brass, helping to avoid malfunctions. That may not be important to everyone but it can be to the faster shooters, right TJC? Of course if you're "Factory Ammo Tony" it's not so likely to be an issue. ;f

4. TJC

TJC "No Compromise" Millennium Member

Another item is when using light reloads in an open gun with a scope, is that you're moving away from your ejected brass, helping to avoid malfunctions. That may not be important to everyone but it can be to the faster shooters, right TJC? Of course if you're "Factory Ammo Tony" it's not so likely to be an issue. ;f [/B][/QUOTE]

It certainly was a consideration when I was shooting those really "wimp" loads for sure. I bounced more than one casing off my gun when I tried to shoot left to right. It doesn't take long to catch up to 2-3 empty casings when shooting 2.2-2.5 runs on the plates. ;f ;P
    Your gun is also recoiling up/left. So when the gun goes up and left, if you drop it straight down you are on the next plate. No need to really even look much. Red dot on white and squeeze. Your eyes are already on the next plate and so on.
    but different things work for different people. ;e

5. coyote 30

coyote 30 COYOTE HUNTER!!

After experimenting I have found that left to right works best for me on 5 to Glock. My reasons are that I am left handed and it feels more natural starting on my left side. Also by starting with the 5 yard target I shoot my first round with the longer trigger pull and the rest of the string with the short reset of the trigger. I am more accurate with the short reset of the trigger and by shooting the "give me" target I get that first round out of the way on an easy target. I just concentrate on slowing down on the 20 and 25 yarders and try to get on target before sqeezing off a round.
    My times and accuracy have both improved a lot since going left to right. I had tried going far to near and right to left but am now sticking to left to right. Bruce