GSSF Tip #26-35

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by BCarver, May 29, 2005.

1. BCarver

BCarver CLM Millennium Member

In an effort to complete the GSSF Tips section, a new tip is being provided.

GSSF tip #26 hosted by Bobby Carver

What's the best method to use for the "new" GSSF start position?

I have received many emails from GSSF competitors asking me this question. In an effort to summarize some of the tips that I have shared with others, I'll list what I believe are the some important principles to consider using the new start position.

The new start position is defined as, "firearm held in hands with muzzle pointed into berm, no higher than parallel to the ground or lower with the competitor's elbows touching rib cage."

The former starting position, with firearm lowered at a 45 degree angle, allowed the shooter to lock in their shooting arm and shoulders so that whenever you were given the start signal, you could easily raise the muzzle and you were locked into the your shooting position. The "new" start position may not allow you to lock in until you have extended your arms and locked in your elbow. I recommend the following:

1. When you are given the command to "take a sight picture with an unloaded weapon", take that opportunity to position your feet and using the "new" start position, push the firearm toward the first target that you will shoot and then swing to the last target. If you feel that you are strained, reposition your feet to allow a stable shooting position on the last target.

2. Make sure that your grip is stable and that your trigger finger is outside the trigger bar with easy access to the trigger as soon as you are given the start signal and your firearm is on target.

3. Look at the target, where you want to shoot and remain looking at that spot on the target, while you are resuming your start position.

4. Since you can hold the firearm muzzle parallel to the ground, you may find that position will allow you to smoothly push your elbows from your side forward to the first target.

You may find that the "new" start position is a smoother more consistent start method than previously used. After some practice and "muscle memory", you will successfully execute a quick and accurate first shot.

I'll look forward to seein you on the range,
    Bobby Carver

2. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

The tips will never be complete when you & those like you continue to share. Thanks so much for the insight. I've found that, with practice, this "new" position works fine and doesn't seem to create nearly as much pre-shoot tension. Another gentleman I practice with sometimes has used the "new" GSSF stance for awhile quite successfully so I was comparing both over the winter. Looking forward to using it at Oakdale. Only thing I do different (maybe) is that for something like the 5TG while I keep focus on the first target I'm going to shoot, I set up my stance such that when practicing swinging thru, I'm most stable when shooting the 25 yd target, typically the one which can ruin my day if I let it. Oakdale or the next practice at Six Flags over Minnesota will tell what the impact to a match time will be.

I hope someone with the magic permissions will snag your post by itself and fold it in with the other stickied tips. Thanks again sir!
    ;?

3. BCarver

BCarver CLM Millennium Member

WIG19,

Thank you for your grateful words. DannyR has always taken the "Tips" and added them to the sticky so that all of them are kept together.

Your approach to the 25 yard target in 5 to Glock is "right on target":) If shooting left to right or right to left, your straight ahead position, facing the 25 yard target, should be your most stable. I can tell that you will do well at your next match. Good luck and "be safe".

Best regards,
    Bobby Carver

4. Front Sight

Front Sight Front Sight

BCarver
    Thanks for taking the time to offer your tips.

5. Lawman223

Lawman223

I actually like the new start position. I used it today at Roseburg this weekend. I take my sight picture on the target, then slide back into the start positition. Keep the gun as high up on the chest as you can, gun pointed at the targets. I tripped the trigger a bit before planned on Glock the Plates, okay I was basically still in the ready position and still hit the plate. Had some very quick starts from this position.