close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

GSSF Tip #14-35

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by BCarver, Jul 17, 2003.

1. BCarver

BCarver CLM Millennium Member

This week's tip is being hosted by Bobby Carver.

Question: I've never had the pleasure of shooting in the rain. Are there any special considerations? I've heard red-dots look like starbursts...

Bobby's Response:

Shooting in the rain definitely challenges the shooter and their equipment. The most important approach to such "undesirable" conditions is to use logic and be safe. Here's the considerations that you should keep in mind:

1. If you are shooting targets that have been covered by plastic to protect the paper target from the rain, "Focus" upon the center of the target as your aiming point. Since you will not be able to see the target rings, you will need to aim for the center of the target. Remember, the X ring is the center of the target horizontally and vertically.

2. To avoid your grip from slipping, you will want to keep the grip of your Glock as dry as possible. If you are carrying your Glock in a holster, lay a piece of clothing or a plastic bag over the grips to keep them as dry as possible. (I carry a large plastic ZipLoc bag in my shooting bag for instances like this) If you are carrying your Glock in a bag or gun rug, use the plastic bag or rainwear to cover your Glock while it is in the safe position and not handled, laying on a table.

3. Keep your hands as dry as possible.

4. Try to keep your shooting glasses from fogging up or from rain drops. Use a handkerchief or a tissue to keep them dry. REMEMBER SAFETY: Don't remove your shooting glasses while the range is hot or someone is shooting. Get an okay from the Range Officer if you are on the line and need to wipe clean your glasses.

5. If the ground is muddy from the rain, your stance "could" be effected. Take extra caution to maintain a steady stance. You may find that it is easier to "widen" your stance to get a stable stance.

6. If you are shooting a red dot sight, you may be forced to use "both eyes open" for sighting and shooting if your lens are wet. You will be able to see the target with your nondominant eye and the red dot with your dominant eye. Reduce the brightness of the dot as low as possible to reduce the "starburst" effect.

Even though the weather will cause you some interruptions during your match, it's been proven that once you hear the sound of the start signal, your subconcious mind will take over, doing what it is accustomed to, focusing on the red dot or front sight and directing your trigger control, etc.

Unfortunately, we don't always have the best conditions when we shoot in competition. I use to get real nervous if the light was not "just right" so that I could see the scoring rings on the 20' and 25' targets so I began training on targets that had NO scoring rings. Now I don't care about the light, I'm shooting for the center of the target and not at an aiming point.

Due to the durability of the Glock, rain and other weather conditions will not compromise the performance of the handgun, only the shooter, if they allow it.

2. 40blaster

40blaster

A problem I have had is with score keepers and calling scores. RO's don't like to work in the rain any more than I like to shoot and several times I have caught errors in calling hits and in writing scores and make sure the score sheet is not smeared and stored properly. I have seen forty points added to a clean run on the plate rack (after the score sheet was signed and turned in).

3. G7

G7 Mostly Metric

Thanks, Bobby! Some excellent points to think about. I think I need to add a couple of exercises to my practice schedule.

And some stuff to my Match Bucket.;)

Thanks, again.

4. Jakk

Jakk Millennium Member

I keep a large trash bag folded up in my shooting bag. When it starts to rain, I have something waterproof to put my range bag and related gear into.

5. councilman24

councilman24

Where did/do you get targets without scoring rings?

Terry

6. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Just turn a cardboard D-1 around backwards--you can hardly see the rings.

7. BCarver

BCarver CLM Millennium Member

Terry,
    I turn my targets with the back toward facing the shooter. Depending upon the source of your targets and the depth of the cut on the scoring ring, the back of the target does not show enough of the perforation to be visible unless you are standing in front of the target.

If you have the time and the source of cardboard, you could cut your targets from a large box, thus having no perorations or scoring rings.

If I can be of any other assistance, please let me know.

Thanks,
    Bobby

8. councilman24

councilman24

Bobby,

Duh, turn them around.;J My only excuse is it's monday.

Terry