close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

GSSF Tip #11-35

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by BCarver, Jun 16, 2003.

1. BCarver

BCarver Millennium Member CLM

Host of topic Question #11: Bobby Carver

Topic Question #11: Red Dot Control you know follow the bouncing the dot. got the grip got the gun now what ?

Controlling the red dot’s jump or bounce is dependent upon 8 factors:

1. The scope mount used
    2. The positioning of the sight
    3. The weight of the sight and the mount
    4. The power factor of your load versus the recoil spring
    5. The grip
    6. The stance
    7. The vision of the shooter
    8. The transition distance from target to target

Since this topic is related to GSSF shooting, I will respond to the topic with details related to, but conclusively, to GSSF shooting.

The scope mount used:

No matter what model or brand of scope mount that you use, the mount must hold the sight steady as a rock. The mount should be very rigid on the frame of the gun or slide if you are using a sight mounted on the slide. Without being bias, since I manufacture scope mounts, I will leave my comments as stated regarding the mount.

The positioning of the sight:

Controlling the “bouncing ball” or red dot requires many factors tuned to reduce the red dot’s bounce upward when the firearm fires and the muzzle rises. One of the most important is balance. If you are shooting a light weight mount and a light weight sight, you will get less balance control to counter the muzzle’s rise. On the other hand, if you position your sight forward, it’s weight will counter “some of” the recoil’s muzzle flip, thus allowing the dot to come back to it’s original position faster.

The weight of the sight and the mount:

The weight of the sight and the mount can serve as a buffer the same as the positioning of the sight. The more weight, the more mass to be used for balancing the firearm’s muzzle rise. Keep in mind, though, too much weight will cause the muzzle to DIVE, thus requiring the shooter to raise the muzzle after each shot. The goal is for the muzzle to come to rest in the same position after each shot is fired.

The power factor of your load versus the recoil spring:

The strength or power factor of your load will determine the amount of jump by the red dot, too. If your load and recoil spring are “tuned”, the muzzle should not jump much, thus the red dot will not move much and the muzzle will come to rest in its original position, allowing the second shot to be fired with the red dot on target. Whenever I find the correct load that shoots accurately and functions my Glock without any problems, I then “tune” my recoil spring on my U/L gun. I will use a lighter spring as needed or clip coils to get the right balance so that the red dot does not bounce too high and comes to rest without requiring my to raise the muzzle. If you have a stiff load and a strong spring to counter your recoil, the muzzle will flip from the spring’s tension, slamming the slide forward. A “tuned” recoil spring will reduce the amount of dot jump.

The grip:

Of course we all know the importance of the grip but let’s not fool ourselves; none of us are strong enough to hold your Glock tight enough to keep the dot from jumping. I recommend that you hold your U/L Glock with the same tension and strength as you hold your stock Glock. Develop a consistent grip for all models. If you grip either model too tight, you will decrease the effectiveness of your trigger control rather than improve the jump of the dot.

I try to hold the U/L Glock so that my trigger finger is relaxed and my right hand (I’m right handed) is relaxed and just riding the grip. Using my left hand, I wrap my fingers around the grip, overlapping the fingers of my right hand and lay my thumbs along the side of the frame, pointing in the direction of the targets. I sometimes lay my thumb against the dust cover, in front of the trigger guard. I try to keep all of my fingers and arms pointing toward the target with the Glock as my pointer.

The stance:

A balanced stance using a wide base is important to all types of shooting. It contributes to the control of the dot, too. When you take a wide stance, with shoulders square and either the left foot or right slightly to the rear of the other, your pivot and your transitions will be smoother. One advantage to a wide stance, slightly leaning forward, is that your body absorbs the recoil better.

I use a modified isosceles stance. I have my shoulders square and my feet are shoulder width apart with one foot about a half foot to the rear of the other. My knees are relaxed, not locked, and I push the Glock out, turning my elbows in. The reason that I turn my elbows in is because it the rotation of your triceps will stiffen your wrists avoiding jams from a weak wrist.

The vision of the shooter:

If you are near sighted, you may be able to see the dot easier than if you are farsighted. I recommend that you shoot with both eyes open, using the right eye, if you are right handed, to look at the dot and “never take your eye off of it”. Use your left eye to look at the target. If you have “tuned your Glock”, taken the right stance and have the right grip, you will never lose that dot. Remember, only pull that trigger when the dot is where you want the bullet to hit.

The transition distance from target to target:

If you are shooting targets 1to 2 feet apart with double taps, the distance is more critical and the dot has different characteristics versus shooting plates that are 18inches apart with one shot. In order to train your eye and hand to react accordingly, you should practice different transition distances from target to target.

I watch the dot different when I’m shooting plates versus shooting Glock M or 5 to Glock.

=======================================================
    Managing the dot requires mechanical, physical and mental preparation. We can only minimize the dot’s jump with our mechanical and physical steps described, we must know where the dot is going to go and where it is going to stop requiring the mental preparation and subconscious trained reactions.

I hope that this brief response to your topic question has answered some of your questions. Be safe, have fun and “keep your eye on the red dot”.

Thanks,
    Bobby Carver

2. MFinch

MFinch Guest

3. BCarver

BCarver Millennium Member CLM