GSSF & the G38

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by DannyR, Apr 4, 2005.

1. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

GSSF has always been a sport for "out of the box Glocks." Just bring your Glock and some ammo and have a good time. Well, that does not apply to G38 owners. The G38 may not be used in Major Subcompact Category because Mr. Glock calls it a compact pistol and not a subcompact pistol. If you bring your G38 to a GSSF match you have the following options:

1. Load 8+1 in the furnished G38 magazines and take a 30 point penalty in the 5 To Glock, and accept a 2 shot disadvantage in the Glock M and Plates stages.

OR

2. Purchase one or more G37 magazines at about $20.00 each (my estimate) just to be competitive with all other entries in Amateur Civilian, Amateur Guardian, Competition, Master Stock and Unlimited categories.

If you exercise option two and purchase only one G37 magazine, it will sure slow things down while reloading at each stage. If you purchase four magazines, you will have spent an additional estimated $80.00 just to shoot the match and be competitive. Hmmm, starting to get real expensive.

Perhaps the stages should be scaled back to 9 rounds maximum for those same categories, with the 5 to Glock only requiring one shot per string at the 25 yard target.

Perhaps the G38 should be prohibited in GSSF Competition, which might adversely effect sales.

Perhaps the G38 should be allowed in Major Subcompact Category afterall.

Perhaps Glock should ship new G38's with two G38 magazines and either two G37 magazines or two #7151 bases.

I have no answers to the dilema.

I plan to use my G38 at Anderson because it is more fun to shoot than any other Glock I've ever owned. Maybe I can slip on some #7151 bases and make my capacity 9+1. Maybe GSSF should sell #7151 bases at the matches.

2. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

Model 27s came with 9 round magazines. They shot at a disadvantage unless you had model 22 or 23 magazines. Maybe you can convince GSSF to have loaner mags at the matches for 38 competitors. There can't be that many of them out there yet. The competitor could just leave their drivers license, take 2 or 4 magazines and gets his/her license back when they bring the magazines back.

I sincerely hope they wouldn't change the entire course of fire for all models just for one model, that would be overkill don't you think?

You are using 37 magazines in your 38 aren't you?

3. DannyR

My solution would be rename Major Subcompact Category the Reduced Capacity Category, with only G36, G38 and G39 pistols eligible. The G29 and G30 may already shoot in any other category without purchase of attitional magazines. It's not like we are inviting the G38 to dominate a pistol awarding category.

G27's may be loaded 9+1 with factory furnished magazines and shoot the 5 To Glock without any handicap.

Perhaps instead of loner magazines GSSF should give and install #7151 bases on all magazines used by members shooting a G38.

4. 9mmdude

9mmdude

I have to agree with Fireglock. Renaming one category to accomodate one model seems like overkill. To promote the GAP calibre maybe GSSF needs to add a category unique to the 38 and 39.

If a reduced capacity category is added for the 38 should the 19 crowd be allowed to download to 8 rounds and compete in the category also? The argument would be it is the same size gun.

I like your original solution to use 37 magazines or change the baseplate to increase capacity.

5. Rusty Phillips

Rusty Phillips Moderator Millennium Member

I think there's enough people on both sides of this to beat this thing senseless if we really wanted to.

I dont really care to argue, but if it comes down to a vote I say

let em shoot the 38 as a 6+1 in major sub

AND

let em shoot the 38 in AmCiv with G37 10 rounders or extended floorplates.

If the G36 guys are afraid of gamers in majorsub they should be complaining about all of the G30's in the class and not the handfull of G38's.

6. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

^c Agree. I plan to get a G38 just 'cause I like the concept as a carry package. But can't see catering another category. If that happened and I was one of those guys whose 1 & only cherished Glock was a stock G34, still stuck with either Comp or UL I'd be ticked. :)

7. Custom Glock Racing

Custom Glock Racing I did it first. Millennium Member

Actually I just ordered a 36 to build a a major sub gamer gun to replace my gamer 30, I still think its a better platform for that division.

8. ede

ede Bama's Friend

seems like a no brainer to me, less than 10 round capacity it's a sub reguardless of the size of the frame. guess i'm feeling a bit screwed over buying a 38 after seeing it listed as legal for major sub only to find out later it's not good for much at all, far as GSSF matches go.

9. DannyR

EDE,

I was told by Mr. Chris Edwards on March 16 that it would be legal in Major Subcompact Category. Since then GSSF has changed it's mind. I share your disappointment.

10. 9mmdude

9mmdude

Danny,

If you were told that then it should be honored. Hopefully, they will reconsider. Good luck,

Steve

11. casullman454

casullman454

hey on the gssf site under registration the form has the 38 under every class but mager sub. all you need are 37 mags. I am geting my 38 wed i have no prop useing 37 mags i have a 37 i will use at the match

12. Rikki

Rikki Pathetic Loser

"I think there's enough people on both sides of this to beat this thing senseless if we really wanted to."
    +1

I looked in the rule book and I can't find in there ANYWHERE where it says "Glock's gotta offer a shooting class for everything they make".
    Things are really gonna get stinky if they roll out a carbine this Fall.

At least you guys know when the Matches are close to you.I'm STILL waiting on a full schedule-I have to schedule my time off.

I'm finding it ironic that the ones that HAD been telling us how unfaltering GSSF is, and to be patient, and to be good little GSSF'ers
    are now getting mis-information from Glock Staff, and can't find a class they like offered by Glock...
    Where's that paxil "saltblock" when we need it?

13. sniper1moore

sniper1moore

Rikki,

+1 I really agree with that last paragraph.Shoot Safe Shoot Often,Ken

14. Doug Smith

Doug Smith

Danny,
    Looks like GSSF has somewhat of a problem as far as honoring prior commitments/statements. Perhaps if all of us raise this issue with the powers that be and let them know that we won't stand for it, this might change. I was always taught to never make a statement I couldn't honor. I fully expect the same of those I do business with. If GSSF isn't capable of doing the same, perhaps they should see their support evaporate until they learn the rules that real men or organizations live by.......like HONESTY and STANDING on your WORD.
    Understanding that I'm a tad peeved at this organization anyway......this is still the correct way to do business. As this makes twice that I've SEEN this behavior from them within the past couple of months, I for one won't doing any business with them till they change their ways.....just my .$02.
    Doug

15. Glockman67

Glockman67 #29 Supporter

Not to read too much into this, but it could just be something where it was played by ear the first time, then overlooked when it came up again the next; a minor mishap.

I'm sure they'll fix it up come Anderson.

gman67

16. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

Do you mean change the eligability of the 38?

17. DannyR

Nothing to fix. GSSF has made their official decision, and that's it for the 2005 season.

18. Glockman67

Glockman67 #29 Supporter

Oh well.

Ya win some, ya lose some.

gman67