close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

GSSF Safety

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Glockrunner, Mar 28, 2007.

1. Glockrunner

Glockrunner HOOYA DEEPSEA

Would taking a sight picture after loading and making your firearm ready to shoot a stage be considered a safety violation?

I saw this occur twice at the last match and when approached with it one shooter stated that it was common practice. I can't find it anywhere in the rules...

This activity continued throughout the match and was never called by the attending RO's. Am I out of line here?

2. ede

ede Bama's Friend

it would be to me if i were the RO. seems like a no brainer if you want to take a sight picture you do it unloaded. my range commands are:

do you understand the course of fire
    take a sight picture if you need to
    load up and make ready
    shooter ready?
    standby
    beep
    if you're finished show me an unload gun
    slide forward
    snap it
    bag it

3. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

of the Glock representive-at the match-like Cris or Scott.

At any match I've been at it has been "you may take a sight picture with an unloaded gun"

Then, load and make ready.

4. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

I see this as well, but think it would be interesting to get some clarification. I'm betting many people (especially those shooting from well-established muscle-memory) like to reaffirm their grip and posture after actually making the gun hot so that they launch as quickly as possible toward the desired first-round POI following the beep. Although the commands are clear, it seems to me more of a procedural issue rather than safety (if the gun is in a safe direction). The preparatory commands for commencing the stage should not even be started until the range is cleared wet (or hot, as you prefer). Something I see occasionally that is a safety-issue is finger on trigger at ready position.
    :shame:

Think I'll shoot a note to GSSF this AM and ask Glockrunner's question.

:patriot:

Sidenote: Ed's sequence above is what I normally encounter (and pretty much expect to hear) although there should be an implicit "Shooter acknowledges ready/not ready" in between the question and "Standby". The occasional RO who places no punctuation (or breathing) in their speech is just something one deals with by politely informing them to do so.
    :)