GSSF Rules

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by njl, Feb 12, 2015.

1. 4Rescue

4Rescue Where ever I go, there I am...

Thanks for the response mate. I thought it stood out more that I'd flattened the front-strap but it's probably because I know my guns and I mistakenly assumed others could see the modification. I wondered about the backstrap too, that at least I could simply remove, but any Glock I'd want to run in GSSF (esp. my 10mm's which I've been really interested in trying out) have the same frame mods so... Guess I'm up a creek in that respect or maybe I've now got an excuse to go a little more wild with my Gen 3 to make it more competitive... Hmmmmm, I can hear my check-book whimpering in the corner and the wife's already sensing something and giving me skeptical looks LOL. Again, thanks for the info and response.

I still don't get the logic behind that rule, but at the same time I can't even imagine trying to sort out every individuals "issues". I will say though that if you're going to allow an aftermarket part to be used and modify the grip of the 26 (the grip sleeve for the 17/19 mags), that a simple case of an "at the RO's discretion" in terms of frame/grip mods wouldn't be a terrible idea, although again, it creates an unknown and from match to match you'd not necessarily know what the answer would be. I'm certainly the minority in that most who do frame mods seem to go much much farther but my pistols are both EDC/"working" pistols and are very stock aside from the removal of the finger grooves and a factory "-" connector. Alright, blathering over and again, NJL, thanks for the clarification.

Cheers

Blue

2. njl

njl Crusty Member

Grip sleeves on longer mags in a subcompact are actually not (fixed typo...meant not, realized I'd typed now) allowed last time I checked. You can use 17 mags in a 26 or 21 mags in a 30...but not with any sort of grip extending sleeve. I've done just fine shooting a 30SF/30S with 21 mags and no sleeves.

Leaving things up to the discretion of the RO would work badly. You'd have no consistency. So many RO's are range members volunteering to help run the match, but have no interest in GSSF and don't know the rules, see previous comment about no consistency :)

It will be interesting to see what happens with future Glock models/generations. i.e. if you believe some of the pics that have been posted, the M's and Gen5's may have done away with the front-strap finger grooves. In that case, how does your grinding off the finger grooves give you a competitive advantage over other "stock" Glocks?

I hate to suggest breaking rules...but so many RO's are unfamiliar with them, and so many first time competitors are as well, you might get away with shooting those guns outside of Unlimited (particularly if the latest offerings from Glock lack finger grooves...not counting the 42 and 43 which have their own division).

I don't think I've RO'd a GSSF match and not had at least one or more shooters come to my stage with a non-stock-legal gun to shoot AmCiv. I've seen magwells (long before certain types were allowed), rail-mounted flashlights, and even slide mounted red dot sights...all trying to shoot AmCiv. Usually, they're new shooters who look like they've spent more time customizing and accessorizing their pistols than practicing with them, and letting them slide in AmCiv is a non-issue.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
    4Rescue and SARDG like this.

3. PM720

PM720

Per GSSF recommendations I just make a note on the scoresheet of any illegal modifications and let them make the final call.

hrt4me and SARDG like this.
  4. wlkjr

wlkjr

Usually the best course of action, plus pointing out the offending modification. Being very nice in the explanation usually works wonders with the shooter's attitude also.

Seale Team, Sherlock Glock and SARDG like this.
  5. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

I just say it does not seem right and summon the GSSF match director to make the call.

6. dhendrickson1

dhendrickson1 Old USN Fart

I have a question regarding the Definition of "Master". Back in the mid 80's I was considered an "A" class shooter in IPSC. Now this was 30 years ago and until this year, I had not shot an IPSC competition since 1987. Would I still be required to register as a "Master" at a GSSF match? The only GSSF match I shot in, I scored at the lower end of the spectrum.

7. njl

njl Crusty Member

If I understand correctly, USPSA A class is just below Master. If you'd made it to USPSA Master, you'd have to shoot GSSF as a Master.

8. njl

njl Crusty Member

Revisiting this, now that it seems relatively official, Gen5 Glocks do not have finger grooves. I wonder if GSSF will change their official stance/"stock Glock rules" to allow for removal of the finger grooves, or if in the pre-match RO briefing, we'll be told to let that slide.

Full disclosure: The only finger-groove-less Glocks I've shot are Gen1, Gen2, and the 42/43. I much prefer the later generations with finger grooves...so I'm not about to take a grinder to any of my Glock frames.

9. wlkjr

wlkjr

Why would it now be legal? It is still a modification to a stock gun.

SARDG likes this.
  10. njl

njl Crusty Member

Because it provides no competitive advantage over other stock guns (which can now be bought without finger grooves). That's why I suspect, even if the written rules aren't updated, the RO briefing might be.

I suppose following that logic, it should have been allowed all along, since Gen1 & 2 had no finger grooves. So, maybe nothing will change.

4Rescue likes this.
  11. DanaH

DanaH

T
    This is an interesting situation. He was classified as Master 30 years ago. Since that time he has not competed in the competition in which he was classified as Master. Considering the time lapse can he still be considered at the skill level? This seems to suggest the need for a review of the existing rules and allowances made for a certain length of time since qualifying for the title.

SARDG likes this.
  12. vicvan901

vicvan901

Well I have Vickers tactical slide stop on my G43. Does that boot me out of Stock?

13. Mr Meeseeks

Mr Meeseeks

Technically, yes. I bet an armorer at a match would give you an OEM one.

14. vicvan901

vicvan901

Fiddle stix but thanks.

15. wlkjr

wlkjr

Since it gives no competitive advantage, most ROs won't say anything. In the RO meeting we are told to make a note of any aftermarket parts and advise the competitor that he could be moved to the Unlimited Division. Unless you are in the top 10 it probably won't be a big deal.

16. G35major

G35major

Will the new 19x be allowed?

17. wlkjr

wlkjr

Not sure but I would assume it could be used in any division that a regular 19 is allowed.

Gloctapus likes this.
  18. G35major

G35major

Yeah i just looked, and it said nothing about the 19x. i hope so, i might use it for my carry gun, and i don't modify carry guns at all.

19. MajorD

MajorD

Any stock glock should be fine in the appropriate class ( regarding 19x) you could use it in am guardian or civilian, competition and unlimited

20. PM720

PM720

Or Master Stock. :)