GSSF Rules

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by njl, Feb 12, 2015.

1. DiverSpear

DiverSpear Will work for primers

Trust me as an RO you can spot the difference between metal and plastic as it pertains to a magwell. Just look at my avatar you can tell that it's metal I RO'd this year's Orlando match and saw a great deal of stock (modified) guns. We just let them run because after you saw them shoot, it didn't matter.

2. Sherlock Glock

Sherlock Glock Lifetime Member

I have fat fingers, can I sand off the finger tips, so It is just like the gen 2 glocks. Will that be illegal for regular civilian ?

3. njl

njl Crusty Member

Nope. Frame mods such as grinding off the hills of the finger grooves would only be allowed in Unlimited.

4. kdm2

kdm2

OK, here's one I always wondered about. Can I swap my stock 34 barrel into my 17 and shoot civilian?

5. njl

njl Crusty Member

Yes...but why would you? AFAIK, you can similarly swap your 19 barrel into your 26 and shoot subcompact...but again, why? The longer barrels really aren't going to make a difference in accuracy, and don't do anything for your sight radius. You'll probably get a little velocity boost...but since GSSF has no power factor floor, why? I guess they do add a tiny bit of weight.

6. HAIL CAESAR

HAIL CAESAR Senior Member

So you can't even undercut the trigger guard? I was getting Glock knuckle so bad I wouldn't shoot the gun. Doing the slight modification made the gun much more pleasurable to shoot.

7. njl

njl Crusty Member

It's fine in Unlimited. Permanent frame mods are not allowed in the rest of the divisions.

8. HAIL CAESAR

HAIL CAESAR Senior Member

So I rounded the triggerguard a bit so my finger wouldn't kill me... And now I can't compete with it...

How silly!!!

Sherlock Glock likes this.
  9. njl

njl Crusty Member

They gotta draw the line somewhere...or you'll have people competing with 21s with grip reductions making them look like doublestack 1911s.

10. Kalison

Kalison

I would like to know this as well. The rules are a little muddy on XS Dots. It technically is a notch and post... but, I don't know if they are considered "patridge".

Personally, I think it will give you quick acquisition, but at the cost of precision that my defoor sights can give me.

11. Brent917

Brent917

Not muddy at all, the rules specifically mention the express sights and say they are fine.

12. Kalison

Kalison

Thanks, Brent. I wasn't sure express sights was a blanket statement or specifically calling out a brand.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

13. Hornetx40

Hornetx40

The silly part is not knowing the rules before modifying a gun then complaining that the "Rules" are silly. GSSF is a competition...that means there has to be some kind of rules

TaxThat, Taroman, PM720 and 1 other person like this.
  14. Rusty Guns

Rusty Guns

Where it is called a level playing field sounds like a good thing.
    I have not filed, ground, or sanded my frames, but understand where someone might sand the trigger guard.
    One thing I have seen, and at the Orlando Shoot a few years back, heard two RO's talking about.
    Reloading shells to the minimum power to cycle the slide.
    They were both bragging how low powered helped get back on target.
    Is that a level playing field?
    I don't reload, and still shoot in the top 1/3rd of the group.
    I haven't shot for several years, but thinking about getting back into it. Just wondering about low powered shells and what others thought about it?

15. SARDG

SARDG Florida's Left Coast

There is no power factor minimum in GSSF, and the PF for rounds that reloaders are developing may also be purchased on the open market, so yes... it's within the rules, and a potential level playing field.

Shooting in the top third is impressive - but Masters and others looking to excel at this sport look at the top three, not the top 1/3. I would likely have never made Master without my own reloaded ammo, though there are Masters on here who shoot only factory (and high PF stuff) and obviously do quite well.

See Rule 50.00 for GSSF ammo info.

16. njl

njl Crusty Member

It could be worse. Some people show up at the match oblivious to the rules. As an RO, I've had people shoot AmCiv with magwells (before they were permitted), and the worst was a guy who was there to shoot Unlimited and AmCiv, and thought he could use the same gun for both...can't remember if it was a 17 or 34, but it had a slide-mounted mini red dot sight.

We've talked about this in the GSSF forum here. Reloading (light) is one place where you can get an "unfair" advantage. I suspect GSSF management just figures it'd be too much of a hassle to enforce a power factor floor or inspect each competitor's ammo to make sure it's factory. I haven't even bought a box of factory pistol ammo since about 2008.

OTOH, at least one of my amateur wins was at a match where I'd let my guns get too dirty, and my minor PF 185gr .45acp ammo would not cycle the guns...so, after experiencing ejection failures on the first string of the first stage, I unloaded all my mags that I'd loaded the night before, and shot the entire match with my "backup" ammo, which is 230gr FMJ loaded to major PF. Lower recoil ammo helps...but the nut behind the trigger is still by far the most important piece of the puzzle.

17. njl

njl Crusty Member

Does any commercial loader sell 185gr .45acp that only runs in the low 800s? :)
    It makes a 21SF feel like you're shooting 9mm.

18. SARDG

Oh..... that's right... you're that .45 guy. :supergrin: How ya' been, njl? I'm sure you're right - no 45 commercial powder puff loads like you load 'em up.

I'm a little skittish about posting around here anyway, as some things may have changed in GSSF since I last shot a match about 3 years ago. I just happened to get a notification in my Inbox about this old subscribed thread and thought I'd post so people know I ain't dead - yet!

19. njl

njl Crusty Member

Yep...reloading for Heavy Metal / Major Sub is the backdoor way to make master :)

Don't joke about the not dead yet thing. A friend of mine from the local gun club started doing that several months ago. He was found dead in bed a few months ago.

20. SARDG

I never did finish developing a good .45 load. I remember you posted your recipe a few years back, but I was trying to work with VV powders and you use some other stinky alternative. :)

I was always quite content to be a real competitor in Guardian or AmCiv, and accidently made Master where I am not truly competitive. Bummer. But much of that success (if you want to call it that) I have to attribute to my (9mm) loads - that I always kept to 125 PF anyway, for IDPA and reliability.

Uh, thanks for the warning about death and yet.:faint: