close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

GSSF range officer?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Eagles1181, Dec 17, 2004.

1. Eagles1181

Eagles1181 Flying High

OK,
    I have a post going about if there is a GSSF shoot near Houston, and was told we lacked RO commitment? What is required to be a Range Officer and is anybody here from the Houston area (or near by) that is a Range Officer that would be willing to sign up? Thanks, I would love to get the ball rolling on this, but need somebody to show me where to start.

Eagle

2. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

If you have the range and host club that is willing to provide the needed RO staff to run the match contact Mr. Chris Edwards at GSSF and he can fill you in on all the particulars that must be done. They currently have nearly all the new 2005-2006 match schedule confirmed but it is a good time to get the ball rolling and maybe be set for the 2006-2007 season.

Good luck on your venture. If a match can be scheduled in the Houston area I know several of the nortorious Florida Gang that would surely attend.

3. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

It should be OK really... the Dept of Homeland Security won't require you to staff checkpoints at the LA border. :joker:
    Wish you luck, tho'. The more events there are around, the more I get to travel when the big 'R' comes along. ;f
    (988 days, but who's counting)
    ;T

4. Don At PC

988 Days!!!!!!!!!!! Talk about cruel and unhumane treatment. Of course I was at that point once-------just can't remember when it was. ;f ;f ;f Wig; Didn't you know that "The Florida Gang" IS the Homeland Security for Florida??????;P ;f ~2 ~2

5. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

;z Well obviously, since you guys are "on the job" in FL (not to mention that delightful practice trailer you made everyone jealous with) you can go anywhere you want. I could swear there was a provision in HR-218 to let you guys attend any GSSF event you desire, as long as you had fun. ;f

and, yeah, that is a horrible number but it's a better number than it was yesterday.
    ;T

6. Don At PC

Roger that WIG19. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you and yours. We are heading to Ohio early Monday morning to visit the "Outlaws" for the Holidays.

7. G7

G7 Mostly Metric

Not a lot is REQUIRED to be a range officer, however there are at least 3 "levels" of RO.

1) Target paster. My wife does this at GSSF matches. No experience required.

2) Score scribe. Good familiarity with GSSF rules needed.

3) Score sheet "Stack-master". Great knowledge of GSSF rules AND procedures needed.

4) Timer. This is the actual RO. Needs all the above, plus the ability to deal SAFELY with new shooters, and pleasently with experienced shooters. NROI, NRA, IDPA, etc certification would be nice.

5) Chief RO. Administrator. Knows who is able to do what. Allocates volunteers appropriately. Tracks where everyone is.

6) Match Director. Provided by GLOCK, this will be Chris Edwards, Scott Gilbertson, or David Sevigney.

For numbers, maybe sjstill can update me, but at Indianapolis in 2004, we had 40 to 45 volunteer RO's.

YMMV. Good luck. Make it happen !!! :)

8. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

Likewise to all of you. I'm currently logged on from my sister-in-law's machine in Quad Cities (IA/IL border); Sunday forecast is 1°, with a high of 9°.
    Layers, y'all, layers. Safe trip, eh?
    ;?

9. Littlerock

Littlerock

I think the first step would be to find a range that had a IDPA,IPSC or NRA club. These clubs more than likely will be able to fill the RO quota. Eagles1181, thank you in advance for getting the ball rolling on a HOUSTON shoot.

10. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

First step, call GSSF and find out if they intend to add anymore matches. Some of them like to stay home once in a while.

Step two, ask GSSF what they want in ROs and how many they feel you need. ;)