GSSF Questions

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Glocker45, Sep 11, 2007.

1. Glocker45

Glocker45

I am thinking about attending the GSSF match this weekend in Brighton Michigan, but I have a few questions. I have never shot in a match before and am a little worried about my skill level. While not new to handguns, I usually shoot jugs and am not in the Rob Leatham league if you know what I mean.

Secondly, what equipment is needed for a match? I have a belt holster, plenty of ammo, and a few extra mags for my 19. I have read over the rules and see nothing about mag holders and whatnot. Is it anything like IDPA where you need x amount of mags and specific holsters/mag holders? It looks like most of the stages have multiple strings.

Basically I am totally new to the match scene and would like to try it out. Any suggestions or words of advise?

2. shadow_dog

shadow_dog Hilljack

No need for a holster or mag holders. A range bag/case is all you need. As far as mags, 4 total will be enough. That is what you will need for the plates. The other 2 stages only require 3 mags. Bring about 150 rds of ammo. You can reload the mags at the mag loading area between the stages.

Good luck, don't worry about your time. Enjoy the experience the first time out.

Wish I could go. I am scheduled to work and can't get off. P's me off, Brighton was a match I was looking forward to. Oh well, I am going to be at Conyers for sure.

3. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

You have what you need.

Put it in a bag if you want to.

There are no mag changes in the middle of a string, no drawing, no running from target to target.

Tell the RO (range officer, one of the guys in the yellow shirts that say range officer ) that you are new.

You can watch the safety video on line or when you get there.

Have ear and eye protection, sign the release.

Watch for a while at each stage until you get the idea, ask questions.

Think about accuracy! not speed! You can not miss fast enough to score well:supergrin:

Don't worry about your score if you can hit a jug you won't be last.

You will have Fun and meet lots of nice people.

And if the past experiences of lots other people are any indication you will be looking for your NEXT match.

Say hi at the match. Lethal

4. glockess56

glockess56 CLM

Well, the others have told you how to do it and they are right and I can't add anything new. You don't have to be as good as Rod Leatham and he doesn't use Glocks, anyway! Heck, if I was that good, I wouldn't be working for the state of Ohio tonight on third shift, I'd be touring the country shooting. I probably wouldn't be at Brighton, either. I'll be at Brighton on Sunday and will answer your questions or do what I can. Just look for a woman in a red hat and a shirt that says Indy Glockers on it. However, when I go to Michigan, I wear my Ohio State hat!

Just have fun that day and you will see that it becomes an addiction. You'll meet many new friends that you can talk to or who posts on GT. Glad you're coming to Brighton for a match. Welcome!

5. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Glocker45,

GSSF is a low pressure, family oriented, newcomer oriented fun shooting match. Although very easy to shoot, it is very hard to win. You will enter in Amateur Civilian Category. There is normally a table at each stage and you will stand directly behind it when shooting. The Range officer will tell you when it's OK to take out your unloaded pistol and magazines. He/She will then tell you to load and make ready, and which time you load your pistol and assume the ready position. You wil then be asked "Shooter ready?" You may respond with a head nod, then wait for the buzzer to start shooting that 10 or 11 shot stage. The timer stops after each string is completed. After the last string wou will be asked to unloade your pistol, show it's cleared, and then holster or bag it.

Tip of the day: Lean into the table when shooting.

6. Norske

Norske Millennium Member

Scott (one of the GSSF Rangemasters) says that he has had an 8 year old boy and a 9 year old girl shoot a GSSF match, a 92 year old man shoot a GSSF match, a blind man shoot a GSSF match, and a quadraplegic (paralyzed from the neck down) man shoot a GSSF match.

Therefore, if you are older than 8, younger than 92, are not blind, and are not paralyzed from the neck down, you have no reason to be nervous going into a GSSF match for the first time!

:supergrin:

7. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

Glocker45,
    A bunch of us from the North country will be at Brighton to shoot first thing Saturday morning. If you'd like to hook-up we can perhaps help squire you through what's needed and certainly make sure you get signed up for the New Member pistol drawing, as well as tag along with us to the stages.

I sent you a PM with my direct email; let me know if Saturday AM works out. :)

Don't worry about keeping up with us either; there will be 6 of us and we're not moving real fast. (Some because of age, some just because of easy disposition, and some because they don't normally rise before noon anyway...)
    :rofl:

Drop me a line.

:patriot:

8. Glocker45

Glocker45

Everyone, thank you for your responses. I feel much better at giving this a go on Saturday.

WIG19, thank you for your offer, I will see about meeting up with you there.

9. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

Tim, sent you a second PM; emails back to you are getting bounced.

:headscratch:

10. gary newport

gary newport

Sometimes Rob DOES use a Glock! Check Danny's hall-of-fame thread. Among the top Stockmeister (Master Stock) teams therein honored is one from the 2001 Mesa, Arizona match. The team consisted of: Bobby Carver (no surprise there), Matt Kartozian (again, no surprise)...and Rob Leatham! TGO shot his Glock pretty well that day.