close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

GSSF preparation?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by markofva, Oct 4, 2011.

1. markofva

markofva

What are some things a beginner can do in preparation for a GSSF match?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

2. mike g35

mike g35

Practice your shooting and ask other more experienced shooters questions about things you don't understand. Also read the rules over and over until you know them front to back. Remember also that you are posting this on the absolute best place on the web to get information on the GSSF from other shooters. There is a wealth of information here if you know where to look and/or who to ask.
    (I am not the guy to ask by the way, I am still learning also)

3. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

1. Get some NRA-D1 targets from Target Barn or Speedwell. They come in paper, heavy paper and cardboard. I use cardboard with appropriate pasters to cover the holes.

2. Get a timer. I use a Pocket Pro I.

3. Study the three primary courses of fire for GSSF and try to simulate them. 8In paper plates will do for The Plates.

4. Practice 1 shot at 10 yards from the low/ready position. Work with a timer to develop your speed. The first shot is very important, and the sooner you can get on target and fire accurately, the better you will do.

5. Practice controlled pairs at 5, 10, 15, 20 & 25 yards, keeping all shots in an 8in circle.

6. Practice engaging all targets in a smooth left to right or right to left sequence, shooting each target as they appear in your sight line. The 5TG, left to right, normally would be 5, 15, 25, 20 & 10 yard targets.

7. Shoot an indoor match to practice shooting under pressure. The upcoming GSSF indoor series in Roanoke cost just $15.00 and requires 50 rounds of ammo.

4. PM720

PM720

I would second Danny's suggestions. He has been doing this a while. I would probably add dry fire at home. You don't want the sights to move when you pull the trigger. Remember accuracy, not speed is more important in GSSF. Misses add time so shoot steady but accurate. I like to focus on the longer ranges as that is my main weakness right now, especially 25yds. Don't be afraid to ask questions here. There is a tremendous welath of info here. I don't post much but I am in here everyday reading. I went from a 456 best at my first indoor match in Aug to a 482 in Sept using information I learned in here. Hoping to break 490 at the last one this month.

And the SINGLE most important thing is to HAVE FUN!!!

Scott

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  5. ede

ede Bama's Friend

i'd say none of the above. relax and have fun, try not to worry about your performance, anyone elses performance, how stupid the ROs are or how stupid the other shooters are. pay attention to what the other shooters do, not how they do it. don't be afraid to ask questions or to say I'm new and don't have a clue. then again Danny might be right, he's got a lot more experience than damn near anyone here.

6. SARDG

SARDG

I beg your pardon? :tongueout:

7. ede

ede Bama's Friend

my mistake, i should of said present company excluded.

8. GlockinNJ

GlockinNJ

This, right there.

I mean, definitely practice and be safe, but in the end, it's a fun day of shooting so don't forget to enjoy it. To quote the RO who was watching me miss plates as fast as I could pull the trigger: "Do you think you are going to win? No? Then relax and slow down."

Great advice.

9. calmolly

calmolly

Agree (except for the RO part :)...just have fun and be safe! I went to my first match recently and had a blast...I didn't really practice any of the stages before, just being accurate and smooth...and I didn't embarrass myself with my results, learned a whole lot, and had a great time . Now I'm hooked and have a better idea what it is all about so my practice is more focused.

BTW I'd only been shooting a few weeks when I went.

Good luck!
    Molly

10. njl

njl

If you have access to such a range, try to get some plates practice.

If you don't have access to a plate rack, but do have access to an outdoor range, you can rig up a simulated plate rack using paper plates...affixed to cardboard or hung from a horizontally stretched tight string. The plates seems to be where the newer shooters have the most trouble / spend the most time. They're my favorite/quickest stage.

If you can get some D1s, practice shooting (really acquiring a proper sight picture) on them at 20-25yds. At that distance, you almost certainly won't be able to see the scoring rings. You have to just know where they are, and aim for their center.

11. misunderestimated

misunderestimated

If you have never competed, My recommendation is to get to a range with some one who has. Have them give you the range commands so you are more comfortable with them

Shooter do you understand the course of fire ?
    Well do you ,if you don't let them know they will explain

Shooter would you like to take a sight picture ?
    I always take a sight picture,it reminds me to RELAX ,BREATHE, TUNE IN,

Shooter load and make ready
    Load a magazine and get in a low ready position

Shooter ready
    Ready (get ready for the timer to ring) and take your shot on the buzzer

the hardest part of this is showing up at the first match,the rest is easy

12. mike g35

mike g35

There ya go!!! DannyR is the person to ask about any and all of your concerns. He helped me through my first match and I had alot of fun because of it. FUN is the operative word here. Don't get to carried away by competing, you most likely won't win your first match. Just focus on having fun and being safe.

13. mike g35

mike g35

And by the way, pay close attention to number four on Dannys list. Your time to 1st shot and your transitions are extremely important for cutting seconds off of your score.

14. njl

njl

I think most new shooters are far more concerned with missing than with good match times. At least I know that was my biggest fear going into my first GSSF match. When it was over, my time was not great, but I had no misses and didn't leave any plates standing. Worrying about time came later.

15. Cruiser1

Cruiser1 Still Alive

I have not been able to do any meaningful practice for my first match in Pensacola. At the range I shoot at all the target stands are fixed and in no way simulate any of the GSSF standard setups and no steel of any kind. So I am just going to show up, try to figure out what is going on and try to hit all the targets. Speed is not an issue. Somebody has to be tail-end Charlie so all you top dog shooters don't have to worry about me screwing up your records. My only hope is that I can win one of the free drawing prizes. Hopefully I can keep it all about having fun and not get all stressed out worrying about the outcome.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

16. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

I think worrying about finding an actual plate rack to practice on is unnecessary. I've only gotten to do that once/twice in the last 2.5 years, and still routinely shoot 16-18 seconds (all 4 strings). I've shot one string in low 3s for single string and a 15.50 as my lowest overall. Say that only to say: believe me... it's not my plate rack times that prevent me from taking first place, it's usually my sub-par 5 to Glock times. I need to get those so I'm shooting 5-6 second strings with few penalties, instead of 8 seconds with 10 penalties. Ugh.

Anyway, here's how I practice plates at an indoor range:

• I have 8" circle targets printed on an 8x10 piece of paper.
    • Put two on the cardboard backing, one on far right other on far left.
    • I always practice going from the low ready position to that first shot on target, that's one of the most important skills. do that for awhile
    • I then will add transitioning from that first target over to the second.
    • Really... the other 4 targets on the rack would be the same: shoot one then transition to the next. You don't actually need all 6 to get pretty decent at it.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  17. mike g35

mike g35

Good point Ron, I DO shoot at real plates but I am also getting ready to use your method, except I AM going to shoot 6 targets. I got an email from a friend who told me to make cardboard plates and attch them to a 2x4. Seems like a better idea than lugging heavy steel targets everytime I go to the range. (but i do find the ping quite satisfying:supergrin:)

18. triggerjerker

triggerjerker

I think the only way to break watching the plates fall is shooting steel.

19. markofva

markofva

Thanks everyone.

20. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Retired

Ignore capitalization as well :tongueout:

OP, speed comes later, accuracy should come first; then you try to find a winning balance of the two. The adage "You can't miss fast enough to win" still holds true.