close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

gssf practice tips

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Klassic, Oct 14, 2011.

1. Klassic

Klassic

what are some of you guys doing at the range to prep ahead for gssf matches, what kind of exercices, techniques etc

i have a while before the matches roll around to my tri-state area (pa,nj,de)...

2. SARDG

SARDG

The only practice I get is the weekly practice of 2 of the 5 disciplines I shoot and on a good month, 4 actual matches - Steel, IDPA, Bullseye, Pins. Steel [Challenge] appears to be the biggest overall help to me, and the bowling pin match every month is a bit like the GSSF plate rack.

I bought some D-1s a month ago to set up with our range poppers, but haven't gotten around to those yet. Three (including me) of our club ROs/Instructors are GSSF members, but not quite as dedicated to it as I am. I'm dragging them to Clearwater, however.

3. ede

ede Bama's Friend

nothing, but my scores reflect it.

4. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

yeah, you are real slow at the plates :eek:)

5. Klassic

Klassic

i'm going to purchase me a used g19 for gssf and keep my g23 as a carry gun but so far this week alone i've put 200 rounds down range just working on basic shooting techniques, i need to perfect everything and get in all in to muscle memory, tomorrow before work around 11am i'll head to the range and fire off another 100 or so...

6. SARDG

SARDG

Yeah, how come for all the practice I get, I ain't no good? :)

7. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

see what Ed charges for lessons

8. Klassic

Klassic

and where can i find this "ED" at?

9. Front Sight

Front Sight Front Sight

sardg

Have you tried using snap caps when you practice? They will tell you a lot. Also don't put any pressure on the grip with your little finger. And don't change your grip once you start to shoot. Let us know how you are improving.

10. ede

ede Bama's Friend

i'll be on the Plates both days at Pensacola. Make sure you tip the RO (me) and you'll walk away with a good score, and maybe not even have to fire a single round. BamaTrooper excluded, I already have his score sheets made out and he didn't do very well.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
  11. SARDG

SARDG

Uh, thanks. Got to say, I don't do much dry-firing - to much time at home just typing away on GT I suppose. :whistling:

I'd say I use a natural and equal pressure with my pinky as the rest of my strong hand fingers, then surrounded by the same type of equa-pressure (on the gun) with my weak hand wrapped around my strong hand. And I'm not one to 'milk' a grip if that's what you mean. My trigger finger is basically operationally independent from the rest of my grip.

Guess I'll see if I can eeck any improvement out of the Pensacola match.

I went to get new glasses today (after 6 years...). Wouldn't it be 'funny' if my my recent shooting woes were simply vision related? :crying: Due to the complex script, my Lenscrafter "Glasses in 1 hour" will be ready in 7-10 days. What the...

If the glasses fail me, it's time to hire Ed with a large tip. Now to find a corrupt M and a 5 RO. :) You originally from Chicago Ed?

12. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Klassic,

Try practicing controlled pairs at 5, 10, 15, 20 and 25 yards, keeping all shots in an eight inch circle. Get in touch with the folks at Pistol People. They have some fine GSSF shooters.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
  13. Klassic

Klassic

i'll give them a call tomorrow afternoon, thanx

14. ede

ede Bama's Friend

he moved to get closer to BamaTrooper. I hear he's considering a name change to BamaEd to be more like BamaTrooper.

as for improving your game if you can find a range with Action Pistol it would be a great way to prepare for GSSF since GSSF is a modified Action Pistol match.

15. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Retired

16. SARDG

SARDG

Hey Bama - meaning to ask about your latest avatar... Is that an AMC AMX? Is that what your department drives now or is that your beater/drive to GSSF matches vehicle?

17. PM720

PM720

Looks more like a Javelin to me.

18. mike g35

mike g35

Klassic there is a wealth of information on here about practicing and the answers to any other qusetions can be found on here as well. Trust me...I asked them all:tongueout:. All joking aside the answers you are looking for are here, learn to use the search option (wish I had did that at first) and do not be afraid to ask questions. Remember even the highly experienced shooters on here (which I am not) were new once.

19. SARDG

SARDG

Ed says Bama was born a Master.

20. Klassic

Klassic

sure hope bama_trooper really isn't in bama, cause that would be one hell of a drive for some marksmen lessons...