GSSF Point Series

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by dking1, Aug 5, 2007.

1. dking1

dking1

Here's some food for thought:

If GSSF wants to increase interest/participation/revenue throughout the events (outdoor or in) would they consider adding a points series for each class or even region? Have all interested parties throw in $10 each class with the end of season points leader taking home some type of hardware (Plaque or certificate depending on the number of participates.) A lot of people are traveling a lot of miles to shoot at a lot of events. It seems like even more people would do so with only a little more motivation.

Maybe I'm crazy or I'm speaking out of turn so tell me what ya'll think.

:motorcycle:

2. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

I honestly don't see how the very small crew that runs GSSF could possibly run such a program. They have their plates full now just trying to keep a full match schedule. They have very few weekends free to unwind.

Just my .02 and I am not trying to put down your thoughts. :thumbsup:

3. dking1

dking1

Interesting point, manpower is aways an issue. I think my proposal would not require much more effort than the current team scoring though. Whatever score you shoot gets put into the point series data. It should be as simple as adding the criteria to whatever software they currently use. (Assuming GSSF uses some type of software.)

Thanks for the feedback!:wavey:

4. ede

ede

interesting idea. without putting alot of thought into it i think the way NHRA does the sportsman points series would work well and be applied to divisions as well as nationally. the way NHRA does it is to take the best 5 events for a driver. GSSF could do the same and take the best x number of scores and total them up with the lowest being the winner. as for manpower the points series ought to end in the winter when there are fewer matches and staff isn't on the road every weekend. i think the biggest problem to over come would be to get shooters to take part in it. how many GSSF shooters compete in more than a couple of matches a year and how many matches would you need to shoot to in to make a points series meaningful?

5. FESTUS

FESTUS Guest

Darin I belive this has merit.I'm personally at the point of my Life to make some changes with the way I spend my money on recreation,the incentive of driving 800 miles one way now is over-rode by the TIME and MONEY spent in improvement and satisfaction versus closer local matches....The Incentive of a greater return might be a selling point,don't know,looks like GSSF has some things to chew on,as I see it we have three markets here 1) Masters who are challenging each other to reach/beat the number one poll..2) newcomers that are testing to see how far they can go....and 3) the top 20 Amateurs that are trying to enter that Master Class.....

I believe the state of Static Existance will not suffice and we will see more changes....so far I believe the changes were neceassry for survival.....I now myself have been exposed to other Gun Games and am appreciating the Local Philosophy versus the Road Warrior attitude that I have demonstrated.....sorry that is getting old and the cost does not return as much satisfaction. :thumbsup:

6. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

only make it to 1 or 2 matches a year no incentive for them.

This idea sounds like an office pool-something that management doesnt have to deal with.

7. glockess56

glockess56 CLM

I don't know how they would work it, but it might have some merit. I'm sure they could do some point system, not so much on how many matches one attends, but maybe how many events one shoots?

I think they should have a category you pay maybe $10 for and take the best score for the match in G to 5, G-M and plates and add that together. For example, maybe in AM. Civ I had a 17.00 on plates, in MS I had a good 5 to G and so on. How many times do we say, "If I had had that score in xxxx, it would have been great!" This would be a fun thing for maybe a plaque, like team, and only if one chose to enter it. Just a suggestion. I know they're swamped at GSSF and I don't know how much extra time this would cause, but it's just a category like, maybe HIGH FEMALE, etc. Only, this one would cost the particant.

8. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

concur
    and done by numbers of divisions shot I can probably guess a couple of the winners right now. :supergrin:

I could see a hosting club doing something like a side-pot for its members, like a big-bass pool in a fishing tournament. I can't envision GSSF doing something additional for awhile, regardless of format.

:patriot:

9. Norske

Norske Millennium Member

GSSF would have to track who is "in" and who is "out" of the "Series" and just WHEN they got "in" the "Series".

Then, track the "Series" participants versus "non participants" at each and every match.

Then of course, you would have people who were not "in" during earlier matches INSIST that GSSF go back and include their previous scores.

Different people would be shooting different matches. Especially now with the alternative Courses of Fire, no two matches are exactly comparable. Therefore, no two person's "points" would really be directly comparable.

GSSF would have to administer the $'s that came in for the "Series" as well as the "points" themselves.

The scoring of GSSF matches is the LOWEST number of aggregate seconds of all three match stages. Therefore, "winners" would have be based on an average of their "point times" per DIVISION per MATCH (per NON COMPARABLE match) that they attended.

GSSF would also have to lay out a lot of bucks to have their admin/scoring system altered to do all of this.

10. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

:DonnaEveryMondayAM: :badpc:

:patriot:

11. dking1

dking1

Maybe my posting was mistaken. My goal wasn't to give Donna and Team more work. (God bless that group, they've always been nothing but pleasant and helpful!) My goal was to start a discussion in which new ideas for promoting the GSSF events. Like Festus said, with the price of gas and ammo these days we are all having make choices on how we spend. If GSSF could throw a bone for those people on the fence about traveling to multiple matches it may help. As for the logicist. Heck, that's merely a simple computer program tweak away from being...you type in the numbers, check box "A" for series participant or leave blank for non-participants and let that little box of wires do the rest.

Again, I am grateful for the program that GSSF is promoting and plan to attend 4 matches (shooting 3 classes min. each) this year. Paraphrasing the late, great Bo Schenbeckler "change is constant, you're either getting better or getting worse, it's your response to change that decides your fate."

:cheers:

12. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

dking1;

Not putting down your idea and appreciate you giving some thought of ways to improve. Having said that I still stand by my comment that the current GSSF Staff is too small to add anything to their workload and this would do that no matter how you look at it. As a side note I personally would not be interested in this system and would not participate. Of course I am only one person and everyone else would make their own choice.

13. ANeat

ANeat Got Pb?

It sounds good but what would concern me is price and requirement for return.

Or to put it another way, say at the begining of the year I commit to the point series. How many matches are required after that? 3? 5? Are we talking a combo of indoor and outdoor?

If Im commited to the points series and something comes up where I cannot shoot the required matches then what??

Personally I try to shoot every opportunity I can, prizes or not, match or not.
    If its a match great, Bullseye, USPSA, GSSF, its all fun:thumbsup:

14. FESTUS

FESTUS Guest

15. Pat S

Pat S Millennium Member

Not to hijack you topic:

But personally, I'd like to see them revisit their Lewis award system of the past. I think it created more incentive to attend for everyone from a beginner to veterans of the matches. It also I believe increased the incentive to shoot multiple classes.

Pat S.

16. Norske

Norske Millennium Member

:badpc: :badpc: :badpc: :badpc: :deadhorse: :deadhorse:

17. FESTUS

FESTUS Guest

Well Pat it looks like someone finally understood my point....most games have some grade and handicap...often we dismiss things and try to sway opinion and call past issues as moot.....I believe the Lewis System HAD/and Still has merit ......it's only a deadhorse if those shut their eyes and ears to what the MARKET WANTS and thats YOU... Pat.... and everyone else the CONSUMER.......I would suggest that all that feel the merit should submit more positive comments....otherwise changes will be based on comments shared while breaking bread after matches.:supergrin:

18. FESTUS

FESTUS Guest

Actually the HORSE IS ALIVE and WELL:horse: :horse: :horse: :horse:

And looks like there are more and are growing....hmmmm:supergrin:

I remain FESTUS the HORSE WHISPERER>

19. Pat S

Pat S Millennium Member

Festus,

I went to the match over in Montana this year and it was the first one I've attended in a couple of years. They dropped the Idaho match in Coeur d' Alene a couple of years ago and back then they used the Lewis system. I didn't realize they'd changed the rules until I saw the final results come out and started researching it. I actually thought I was going to be into a little money until the finals came out---boy was I wrong. I wonder what motivated the change? This was never discussed on the GSSF website or in any publication I've read? Economics I guess, perhaps they weren't getting the return on their investment? Time will tell whether they made the right choice.

Pat S.

20. glockess56

glockess56 CLM

High ho Festus! Gee, I never got to thank that masked man. Yes, Festus and Pat I agree with you and I definately agree the horse is not dead, but alive and running (I hope it's a Mustang and comes my way, in red or black!). I too, placed in my first GSSF match (Indy, 2004)and it kept me coming back. It wasn't a high score by any means (more like 200 or 300 seconds), but placing 8th in C division made me want to come back, practice and get better. It made me want to go and meet people at a match and go on Glocktalk.com and associate the person with the name. Now, while there is some skill to challenge me to keep doing better, they could call it the GSSF lottery. I would donate money and they could draw my name and I could, 1)win money or a gun, 2) save gas, overnight expense, meals 3)wear and tear on the car. The only disadvantage would be not seeing my friends that I talk to here on Glock talk. But, I think the Lewis system does have merit and it is fair. You take whoever shows up and divide it out. You don't have to wonder if there will be x number of people showing up to the match to see who wins prizes or if there will be any prizes other than the winners.

No, it's not a dead horse by any means, and the the GSSF staff does a great job in getting the results out fast and running the matches. Maybe they could just look at the situation more and ponder it, that's all. Just listen to the people and think about it. Pat, I hope to see you at a match and Festus, you are a great teammate, the best!