close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

GSSF Plates

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by GrayFox, Jul 22, 2002.

1. GrayFox

GrayFox

Me and a friend of mine that participate in GSSF decided to build our own set of plates. When all was said and done we had 12 hours each invested and $90.00. We finished up Sat. and decided to shoot them. We were worried about richocets at first. We saw the bullets falling to the ground right in front of the plates. We went to see what they looked like, well , they looked more like quarters than bullets. I mean these things flattened right out and lost every bit of velocity when they struck the plates. The only problem we had is that the hinges we used weren't heavy enough and started bending a little. It was well worth the effort. I should be in fine shape for Statesville.

2. Glockrunner

Glockrunner HOOYA DEEPSEA

That being a good idea for practice one might think to look at some of the target buolders sites to see just what material these are made of. Rockwell hardness of 90 I believe, or better. A good deflector might help to protect the hinges too.
    Not cheap. My range has a set that are getting a good workout too. Mostly the stopping blocks that the plates rest on are coming off causing the plates to lean too far forward now.

I was thinking of repairs but don't know if these require special welding skills.

3. Glock M Ole

Glock M Ole

I too had problems with hinges, so I suspended my plates using a few chain links. There is no problem determining when they've been hit and you don't have to go stand them up!

4. njl

njl

How'd you manage to build plate racks for $180? Mostly free materials?

I still wouldn't recommend shooting them from <11 yards, and anyone anywhere near them when they're being shot should have proper eye protection. I've done alot of plate shooting, and though a proper plate rack will send most bullets to the floor flattened, you will occasionally get ones that fragment and/or bounce back. I've found flattened bullet fragments 20yds back from the plates (towards the firing line) and about as far off to the sides.

5. Lobo

Lobo Who farted??

My Dad, a friend of ours and myself built a plate rack with .5" thick plates and we put the assembly on a 42" tall six foot long sawhorse. We used a 4"x4"x.25"thick by six foot long piece of angle iron to protect the top of the sawhorse. The plates rest upon a piece the same size as the mentioned piece but it is 1/8" thick. It works GREAT!! We don't have but $40.00 and a promise to take our friend(HE HELPED WITH THE WELDING) hunting with us in the price of the rack.