close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

GSSF plate rack

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by BK94, Aug 16, 2011.

1. BK94

BK94

Is there anyone that sells the racks? Or does anyone have the dimensions for them? The plates are my favorite course and would like to have and practice on one.

2. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011

3. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

4. SCC

SCC just me

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  5. SCC

SCC just me

put this # in a e-bay search and it is a good deal

6. njl

njl

I don't think 1/4" mild steel is going to hold up well to jacketed bullets...and you still have to devise some way to "rack" them. I can say from experience, if you shoot them off a 2x4, bullet splatter will tear up the 2x4 pretty quick and you'll end up with lead slivers sticking into/out of the wood.

7. BK94

BK94

WOW, those are some pricey targets. But the plates seem to be priced right, so I am leaning on building my own rack. Any ideas on diminisons or where to get them?

I will drop GSSF a email to see if they can help and will pass on the info I recieve.

8. Alexd29

Alexd29 Go Bucks!

When I wanted to start shooting more, I made a cheap one from an 8' oak 4"x4" from work and some scrap steel from a local scrap yard. I used door hinges bolted to the plate as the Hinge Mechanism set under some 3"x3" angle iron to protect them. I then used some 3/4 threaded pipe as the reset mechanism. I made the legs out of 2"x4"s.

It is crude but it works, total cost $36 dollars and a 12pack of beer(a buddy cut the square 8" flat stock into 8"octagons for me.) If you look up homemade plate rack on youtube or google there are a lot of variations.

9. ede

ede Bama's Friend

before i built mine i took photos of racks at differant ranges and looked at what i had and built one. it's not perfect but it works. i'd love to make another and take more time on it. might be a bit of a drive from S.W. but if you want to shoot on mine you're welcome to, just have to work out a time with my wife so she isn't sleeping, she works nites. she'd like having someone to shoot with once in a while.

10. DEJ/FL

DEJ/FL Millennium Member

GSSF gets all there steel targets from Sweetwater Engineering, Jack Medows Rd., Douglasville, GA. Contact Dan Medows.:supergrin:

Dan:cool:

11. JWG_34

JWG_34 TeamCarverMount

If you take a good look in the "GLOCK REPORT"
    You will find every dimension of the plate rack you need!
    When I buitl mine that is exactly where i got my dimensions,and BTW I used mild steel, 1/4 inch thick and they have held up pretty well using jacketed bullets.

12. SCC

SCC just me

thats good to know that 1/4 wil work :wavey:

13. BK94

BK94

Could you tell me where you saw the dimensions for the rack at in the Glock report, cant find it. thanks:dunno:

14. G7

G7 Mostly Metric

The plates are 8 inches in diameter, 20 inches Center to Center for a Bianchi rack, which is what GSSf uses at most of the matches I've been to. At Indy this year, the plates were 12 inches C to C. I think it depends on what the host club has.

Height is 48 inches iirc.

GSSF distance for toes to targets is 11 yards.

Spring for AR 400 steel if you can. AR 500 is better yet. Mild steel will start to "pit" from the first shot, and will eventually become cratered enough that you will get splatter coming back at you -- time for new plates.

My first plate rack was the 'hinges under a 2x4' type, set up as swingers so I never had to reset them. The 2x4 rotted, but the plates (AR 500, 3/8" thick) still are fine.

Be safe - Have fun.

15. njl

njl

How well did that work? Hinges under a 2x4, hanging plates sounds like the 2x4 would get shot up or at least chewed up by bullet splatter. I'm still trying to figure out how to rig up a decent practice plate rack since I no longer have access to a real plate rack.

16. G7

G7 Mostly Metric

I forgot to mention the C-channel I screwed to the front face of the 2x4. It kept the 2x4 from sagging, and protected the edge from hits. I had the 2" edge facing the shooter, not the 4" side. The hinges were mounted below the 2x4. and far enough forward that no splatter hit the wood. That part worked very well, as long as I kept the 2x4 painted. (If I fix it, I will use treated wood).

For a base, I made a contraption from wood also. Not such a good idea. The side splatter chewed it up rather quickly. Next time -- steel pipe legs, but with a replacable wooden "splatter catcher" to catch the shards that would go left off of the left plates, or right off of the right plated, then bounce off of the pipe leg toward the shooter.

17. ede

ede Bama's Friend

i keep thinking i want to build another rack with fixed plates and maybe bolt them so I can flip them around, one up then one down, etc. take away the watching them fall. I have it in my head shooting plates is about aquiring the target so making it more difficult to get to the next target would help, but what do I know I'm not much of a shooter.

18. cookselk

cookselk

Follow the link to this past discussion:

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1283200

I included some pics of my bargain practice plate rack in the thread. Since then I have modified the upper part from where the plates hang by using 1/8" 2x2 square tubular steel. Cutting the 10' bar into 3 pieces and using Oak "tenons" to assemble it is quick and easy and it will fit in the trunk of my VW. While this has held up to the occasional errant shot I'm guessing I'll be replacing the bar within a year or two. Especially since I have been inviting some novices along. It dents the heck out of it but doesn't pierce it. My thought is to perhaps protect the bar with a piece of steel welded at a 45 degree downward angle to the front.

I haven't gotten around to it yet but I have an idea to improve on this practice rack. A friend has a water jet cutter and he can cut out the round plates so that they have a tab on one end and an elongated hole. My idea is to cut a square hole in the top of the bar and then insert the tab and secure it with a bolt and spring. If the plate is positioned so that at rest it leans slightly forward a hit from a shot would allow it to stand upright and then fall back forward. This would more closely simulate an actual plate rack by giving the shooter more direct feedback rather that a visual hit or the sound of metal being struck.

I just got some more AR plate from work that they were sending to the scrap yard so I can experiment a bit. My buddy is cutting out some practice poppers for me also. They are going to be just the circle and the upper part, I'll bolt them to a 2x4 and insert them into the stands that I already use for the plate rack. I figure I should only be looking at the upper part of the popper anyway.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2011
  19. Norske

Norske Millennium Member

"Back in the day" when I was learning this style of shooting, the hot game was bowling pins with 1911's. Bowling pins at 25 feet.

I had a .22 Colt conversion kit for my parts-built 1911, "Frankenstein". I once counted parts from 12 different manufacturers in that gun. But I digress.....

The club I was in had a shotgun field where the trash cans were always full of empty 12ga hulls.

I would set up a sawhorse with an 8' top bar at the standard 25', space 5 shotgun hulls along it, and have at it with the .22, using a timer.

If you could hit 3 out of 5 with 8 rounds, that was pretty good, cheap practice. The goal was to try to get all 8 rounds off in under 5 seconds, or if you hit the fifth hull, whichever came first. I very seldom got all 5 with 8 rounds, but sometimes......

It was also nice because this was in snow country. No having to recover .45 brass out of the snow.

When I would hit the next pin match, those pins looked as big as Titan Missiles and it was "how can you possibly miss?"

The skills I learned from this have stuck with me to this day. It is the rare plate run I do these days that is over 4 seconds, and sometimes I get into the 3's.

I recommend similar .22 practice with Advantage Arms/Glock conversion kits, and whatever improvised setup you can manage with the materials available to you.

:supergrin:

Last edited: Aug 25, 2011