close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

GSSF Pistol Purchase Program...

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by pterodon, Aug 12, 2012.

1. pterodon

pterodon

...kinda sucks. GSSF membership has many benefits but I'm no longer sure the pistol purchase coupon is one of them.

I've been a GSSF member for about 5 years now. Out of the five coupons I've received I've only managed to use one of them. But not for lack of trying. The only one I've been able to use was redeemed through Ed's Public Safety in Georgia before the goofy 'regional sales only' rule was invoked. Since I live in Colorado I'm no longer able to do business with Ed's (at least not on a blue label gun). Ed's has the best service, the best inventory, helpful, friendly people...and current GSSF rules say I can't purchase from them. OK, so plan B.

The only regional blue label dealer that can sell to purchasers in Colorado has very limited inventory and doesn't seem to have the ability (or maybe the interest) to order directly from Glock. Been trying to run down a Gen4 G20, but my regional dealer tells me they're not in production. Ed's has been selling them for a couple months now. Sigh. OK, so plan C.

Found a GSSF dealer in Kansas who says he can get the model I want from a distributor in Texas. But he can't ship it to me because Colorado isn't in his regional area. OK, so I'll get in the car and drive to Kansas to pick it up in person. He then tells me that he can't sell it to me at all because purchasers can't cross state lines with a blue label gun. Wow.

Can this be any harder? Got a GSSF coupon, got the money in hand, found a dealer that has what I want, I'm even willing to drive 500 miles to get it - and no dice.

Probably not gonna renew my GSSF membership when it expires next time. Some good benefits, but I no longer count the pistol purchase program among them. Rant over - sorry, had to vent. Why did Glock have to go and ruin what was a good thing?

2. DocWills

DocWills

I got a coupon. Looked for a dealer. Closest is over the line and wont sell to me across state lines without going to dealer and paying. I cant carry the gun back so must ship.

Have 3 instate dealers. One doesnt stock, one not answer the phone. Last is nice but no inventory.

Bought it from davidsons, at their sale price.Was withing $50 of gssf with shipping and transfer fees.

3. Cracker7

Cracker7 Team Glock

I'm not having as hard of a time as you but, my closest dealer is 2 hrs. or so. Local shops either don't participate or have no idea what I'm talking about. Wtf. So I'm not sure if its Glock or the dealers.

Cracker 7

4. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Glock did NOT just arbitrarily "ruin a good thing". A few years ago when getting them from Ed's was still allowed... they were selling a LOT of guns that way. I know a lot of Florida people were doing that. Some of Glock's Fla dealers got pissed off and complained to Glock. Maybe even the state (because FLA sales tax wasn't being paid on those guns).

Regardless... the policy was changed for that reason.

1. The purpose of GSSF is to get people involved in shooting competitions.
    2. The pistol purchase program is a *benefit* of being a member, not the sole or even primary purpose of the organization.

Yes, it's difficult in many places to get one, I have the same problem here in Charlotte. I end up paying an extra $30 over the GSSF suggested price through my local gunshop ($15 shipping from Ed's and $15 "Brady Bill Fee"), but that's still cheaper than full retail so I bite my tongue.

But I joined GSSF to shoot the matches, and I've shot 18 in the last 3 years. How many have YOU shot ?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
  5. tampashooters

tampashooters Shellback

Well, I haven't shot as many as you, but as a Floridian I can tell you that the program now sucks for buying anew Glock. Here is Florida there is not a dealer on every corner, there are 4 in the state several hours from me. I wish we could mail order still.... And yes, those selfish dealers did complain, and ruined alot of sales.

I joined to 1. Shoot the matches, AND 2. Buy the gun at a discount.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
  6. SARDG

SARDG

Cole's Gun Shop in Clearwater sells GSSF guns, and for the correct price. Pretty close to Tampa!

7. kaech

kaech

I have a blue label dealer here, the only one local And he charges 460 gen3 485 gen4..... it really sucks.

8. pterodon

pterodon

Gee, thanks for the lecture. I acknowledged (twice) the benefits of membership, but that's really beside the point. GSSF promotes the pistol purchase program as a benefit of GSSF membership but neglects to tell you that the coupon is only redeemable in your "regional area". And that you can't 'cross state lines' with a blue label gun. Show me where any of this is written down or otherwise made clear. They made a rule change out of the blue and without clarifying their intent or the reasons for the change. Talk about arbitrary...

I really don't care about some whiny dealers in Florida who don't like the fact that Ed's sells a lot of guns. Instead of complaining maybe they should try to match Ed's business model. And that's the major reason I hate what they've done with these new rules: it puts all dealers on a level playing field by bringing everyone down to the lowest common denominator. Can't match your competition? No problem - we'll punish the folks who do it right and effectively reward the ones who would rather complain than compete.

If, as you say, GSSF is all about the shooting competitions, then why were the pistol purchase program rules changed with dealers in mind rather than shooters?

Congratulations on your 18 matches in 3 years.

9. elijah58

elijah58

if you join the gssf for 5 years do you get a Glock coupon every year?

10. BuzznRose

BuzznRose

11. stolenphot0

stolenphot0 RTF2 Addict

yes.

If you join for only 1 year then you get the coupon at the end of the first year. the longer memberships give you the coupon when you get your welcome packet.

If you join, either fax or mail the application. My website/email app never got there. They told me it happens sometimes. No biggie. My local match was still months away.

12. davsco

davsco

i agree that glock could make their pistol purchase program a bit easier. i'm in va and had to drive over 5 hours round trip as that was my closest dealer. i combined it with another place i wanted to visit so it wasn't a huge deal, but still...

good news is they had a bunch of blue label in stock so i got the g32 gen 4 that i wanted without having to order or wait. and no mark up or arbitrary fees.

glock/gssf does sell the purchase program, along with the fun matches, in soliciting their annual dues, so they should make both programs easy for their members.

i'd email customer service at gssf/glock and explain your dilemma and hopefully they will provide you actual customer service and get you hooked up!

13. SARDG

SARDG

Try ATF websight. It's a federal law.

Q: From whom may an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA?
    A person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee’s premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]
    Q: May an unlicensed person obtain a firearm from an out-of-State source if the person arranges to obtain the firearm through a licensed dealer in the purchaser’s own State?
    A person not licensed under the GCA and not prohibited from acquiring firearms may purchase a firearm from an out-of-State source and obtain the firearm if an arrangement is made with a licensed dealer in the purchaser’s State of residence for the purchaser to obtain the firearm from the dealer.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and 922(b)(3)]

www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html

14. pterodon

pterodon

Yep, that's it. GT Distributors (Texas) will sell to Kansas but Kansas can't sell to Colorado. :dunno:

This hurts my head. Not interested in politics - just wanna use my coupon.

15. Giggity-Giggity

Giggity-Giggity Giggity-Goo!!!

That sucks man. Usually GSSF will bend over backwards to their customers/members.

I would contact Donna at GSSF and see what she can do.

16. pterodon

pterodon

Thanks. Was not aware of this. I've transferred many handguns across state borders through the mail using licensed dealers as described in the second part of your post. Did not know this was the only legal means of doing so.

So this one's not on Glock or the GSSF - my mistake. Thanks again for the clarification. Glad I know this now.

17. Para_bellum17

Para_bellum17

I'm told that the Blue Label price is set by Glock and I'm only paying $440 in Georgia. I know of one store that lost their ability to offer Blue Label after jacking up the prices for them.

18. SARDG

SARDG

I used to (and still do) drive the I-75 corridor fairly frequently and no trip was ever complete without a stop at Ed's - which nearly always resulted in a gun purchase. Just burned me that I couldn't take the gun with me on my way back to FL, but...

Now... it's a moot point.