GSSF open gun

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by TimWarner, Jul 25, 2005.

1. TimWarner

TimWarner Resident Goth

I'd like to put together a reasonable open gun for my next GSSF match, whenever that may be.

Currently I have a 19 that I shot in AC, and a 34 that I shot in CD, I also have a 17c that stayed home.

My debate is whether to use the 34 or the 17c for the open gun.

I want to put a carver mount/c-more on it, but I'm not sure if the angle on the carver mount will be enough to keep the sight safe with the porting.

I'd like to keep the 34 for CD, with the longer sight radius I think I'll be better off. Eventually I could find a stripped 34 upper on the for sale boards if I want more length on the unlimited gun. They seem to sell pretty regularly.

Also, I could put factory glock c-style porting on my 34 barrel, if I ended up getting a 34 upper for the unlimited gun.

Any input would be great.

2. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

I would highly recommend that you make your G34 the U/L gun. It will serve you far better. The Carver Mount is the best choice on the market. You might want to contact Bobby Carver at http://www.bb-enterprise.biz/ and get his input and see what he has to offer. Besides being one of the best shooters in the country you will find him to be a first class gentleman to help you with any questions you might have pertaining to shooting.

You could always buy a stock Glock Non-compensated G17 barrel and put in in your 17C slide and would be perfectly legal for stock classes in GSSF.

3. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

+1 ^c
    especially on using the 34. Next time we all get together down at Six Flags over Minnesota to practice you're welcome to come down & try my "shooter not ready for prime-time" UL 34 with a Carver/CMore combo on it. At this point in its evolution it's mostly stock (other than a few coils out of the spring) but may spawn some ideas. They're lots of fun and Bobby can set you up.

4. TimWarner

TimWarner Resident Goth

is the general consensus that it's better to go with light manageable loads, instead of a compensator?

I've really only seen pictures of a few glocks with briley(?) compensators, other than looking nice I'm not sure how well they work.

I also noticed they were very expensive ($400 range).

is there anyone else who makes a comp for glocks?

5. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

A light manageable load is far better for GSSF than a compensator. In order for a comp to work properly you have to load a fairly hot load otherwise you defeat it purpose. Your G34 with a Carver Mount, a good red dot and a few other tricks and a nice 147gr. Remington match bullet on top of 3.7gr of Vithvouri N330 will serve you well in GSSF.

I tried a G24 with a KKM threaded barrel and a T.H.E. comp and was not happy for GSSF because my light loads wouldn't allow the comp to do it's job and then if I loaded to the point the comp was working properly I lost my soft loads.

6. TimWarner

TimWarner Resident Goth

My usual handloads are 124 gold dots on 4.0gr unique for just under 1000 fps out of my HK P7, which is all I've fired handloads out of so far, only had less than 1000 through all 3 of my glocks combined.

Would there be an advantage of going up to 147's?

I'm not that familiar with heavier 9mm's for handloading.

7. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

GothGlocker, try them, you'll like them. ;)

8. TimWarner

TimWarner Resident Goth

On another train of thought... is the C-more really THE answer for optics on a pistol? I really like the low mounting option with the carver.

I have an ATN digital sight, but the dot option is really small, maybe 3 moa. It looks like the dot would be hard to track for follow up shots.

Also, not that another mount is really an option, given the help I've gotten from team carver lately, but I haven't really seen any others that looked like sturdy quality mounts... did I miss some? I found aimtech, mako, glockmeister ( and 1 or two others that looked like the exact same mount with another name on it)

9. Fireglock

I have a couple of PDP5CMPs with the adjustable dot, I like them, but they're heavy and they mount too far forward. The C-more with a 8MOA dot seems like the ticket. It's lighter, can be set further back on the pistol moving the weight over your hand.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These let you see some of the difference.

10. cmzneb

cmzneb

I like the G34 alot more than the G17 myself. There is a gentleman from Nebraska here that wins many of those GSSF matches shooting a G17c, so I wouldn't rule it out. His gun is totally stock (except for a Dr. Optic red dot sight), no polishing, no fancy springs, just a stock 5.5# trigger, etc....
    He can shoot it just as well with the junky Glock factory sights on it.

What I learned... It's all about the shooter, don't let the equipment rat race get you too consumed.

11. Pharaoh

Pharaoh

There Fireglock goes again showing off big blue!!! Done any shooting as of late???

Pharaoh;)

12. Fireglock

Practiced with Bobby weekend before last, shot a club match Saturday. :) How about you?

13. TimWarner

TimWarner Resident Goth

so, I guess my next question is...

Do I really need to lower the ejection port by .100" as the carver site suggests, or is that really just a suggestion?

I'd hate to have to take a mill to my slide and have to have it refinished.

14. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

Tim, next time we practice in RST come down and hopefully we can get dp177 out of bed and you can see the very nice job he did on his ejection port - very doable and looks like it was supposed to be that way. (Of course, given that he doesn't use powder in his handloads he probably needs it...) :joker:

Bobby will probably tell you that lowering the port is more of an issue with the lowest mount ("slide ride"). I've got the regular Weaver mount (not the higher Hunter model) and it's no issue. What I have found is that lowering the spring weight to get a bit more slide speed is helpful - all things that make an UL gun fun. ;f

As to whether the Carver is "it" - I looked at several options before leaving all that Christmas lit around for my lovely wife to find and the Carver is simply a beautiful piece of engineering - sturdy, functional, quality and very versatile. I also looked at alot of dot sights including some I could've gotten at pretty good prices thru my shop but the Carver/CMore combo was, for me, hands-down the way to go. Just tell Bobby what you want and he'll set it up, including making sure it's got the right size dot in it. ^c

Thanks for asking the comp question; I was wondering about that myself, about using one with factory ammo. I'm loath to get into handloading pistol (rifle & everything else intrudes) simply from a time perspective but might go in with someone who's loading 9's and scrape together a few for a match to try out. :)

15. Fireglock

It's the best way to go. AND you don't have to do it, you can send it to Dale Rhea and he'll do a bang up job for you at a reasonable rate. It looks factory.

[​IMG]

16. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

That is sweet! Does one contact Dale thru Bobby's site, or...?
    :)

17. Fireglock

Just PM me and I'll provide his contact info. :)

18. Pharaoh

Pharaoh

Fireglock

Tuesday this week I shot a bout 200 at an indoor range. By the way nice photo very nice of the port.

Pharaoh

19. TimWarner

TimWarner Resident Goth

Well, ordered up a carver mount, should be here on my birthday next wednesday, also found a c-more railway for under 200, so I picked that up, figure I can just remove the weaver attachment.

5 days and counting.

I'm working on loading up a bunch of ammo to try it, but I noticed my weights were running heavy, probably because of humidity.

Anyone know if this has any affect on ammo performance?

20. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

Tim, PM sent w/my email address.

As to heavier charges, I've not run into that issue 'cause I keep my powder in pretty even temp conditions. What I have noticed is that when it's very humid or major weather fronts are moving thru I need to pay real close attention (when actually throwin' powder) to making sure my scale maintains its zero and check it more often to insure consistency.
    :)