close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

GSSF newbie questions

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by AggieMax, Apr 5, 2003.

1. AggieMax

AggieMax DFW sheepdog

I am going to register for the event here in Carrollton, Texas on May 3rd. I was reading all of the information on Sportshooter.com but I still had a few questions:

1. When they describe the three events, all of the descriptions end with the statement that the gun must be secured in an approved manner, but I never could find what this is.

2. If I choose to reload my magazine between strings, am I given a reasonable time to do so?

3. I sent my GSSF registration in on March 16th, I obviously won't get my id card before the match at the beginning of May. What would you guys recommend I do to avoid trouble with trying to send in my registration for the match and avoid having to double pay my GSSF fee?

I'll post more questions as I think of them :)

Thanks.

2. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

Welcome to GSSF and the forum. First check out www.gssfonline.com and I think you'll find much more information that you'll need.

1. Securing your pistol is either in a bag, holster or carry case, your factory case will work, with the slide locked back.

2. I don't know what your definition of reasonable is but I never seen anybody rushed. Frequently the RO will help you. If you have 4 mags you'll find the entire experience more enjoyable.

3. Just fill out the form and send it in without your member number. Indicate you are a member, they'll take care of the rest.

Enjoy the match. Look for the Sidearmor gang in their grey polo shirts, they are a wealth of information.

3. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

FireGlock has provided good advise. The www.gssfonline.com has all the rules since that is the official GSSF site. They are updateing everything so if you cannot reach everything on the site right away don't worry it will all be there soon.

As for reloading you mag between strings: If you show up with only 1 or 2 mags you will find yourself hindering your shooting, slowing down the entire match and not having much fun. You shoot 3 strings of fire for both the 5 to Glock and Glock "M" and 4 strings of fire on the plates. Since you are allowed to have 11 rounds loaded in the Glock "M" and Plates it is very helpful to have a spare mag as a stripper mag. So the ideal way is to have 5 mags which will give you the 4 mags you need for the plates plus a stripper mag. This way you only have to reload mags after each stage instead of during a stage. It also allows you to concentrate completely on your shooting of each stage and is much more enjoyable.

The primary objective is to (1) Be safe and (2) Have maximum fun.

4. AggieMax

AggieMax DFW sheepdog

Thanks Don and Fireglock for the information. I guess I just caught GSSF at a bad time with doing the updates to their site. Looks like one thing I have to do is buy a couple of magazines to use as extras.

5. twiztid

twiztid

I'm new at this site so I hope all works well. I was wondering if I could get some input on GSSF events, I'm thinking about attending a match soon (my first) but I'm unsure about my gun. I have a G19 with pretty much every internal part either upgraded or replaced, some of them include: 3.5 connector, aluminum trigger assembly, striker, etc. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if this is "legal" for a match or what catagory I would have to list under. Any info would be much appriciated, Thanks in advance.

6. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Twiz,

As is, you could only enter Unlimited Category. AM/Civ, L.E., Subcompact, Major Sub, Competition and Stockmeister are for stock Glocks, meaning all factory parts, no aftermarked parts (except for approved sights).

7. AggieMax

AggieMax DFW sheepdog

Danny, I have a slug plug in my 19, do I need to take this out to be considered "stock". There is no performance enhancement in this competition. Maybe in one where I have to change magazines such as IDPA. What do you think?

8. twiztid

twiztid

Thanks Danny, I appriciate your response.

9. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Aggie,

The plug in itself is no big deal, but it could conceal weight in the grip.

10. AggieMax

AggieMax DFW sheepdog

I guess I should probably take it out, then there is no question.

11. texasblueline

texasblueline

12. Mark L Miller

Mark L Miller

Texasblueline, Is it a factory extended or aftermarket? If it is factory, you can leave it on the gun, at least on most models. If it is aftermarket, you need to replace it. The armorers tend to get pretty busy but if you don't know how to do it, or don't mind waiting in line, I think he will do that for you. Of course then you will have to wait in line again to get it put back on & they really don't like putting aftermarket pieces on a glock. It is really a very simple process to replace it. There are instructions floating around & it takes no special tools & only about 15 seconds. Good luck, MLM

13. GLOCKhp

GLOCKhp Proud American

Texas Blue,
    As long as it's a Glock factory part, it shouldn't be a problem. Since GSSF has no timed/speed reloads, it gives you no unfair competitive advantage.

Come on out and have a BLAST!!;f

14. texasblueline

texasblueline