close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

GSSF newbie, gun selection advice

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by bofe954, Mar 2, 2003.

1. bofe954

bofe954

I would like to try the GSSF this year. My only Glock at this time is a 21. I am debating picking up something else to shoot. My first thought was 17, now I am thinking 26 because of less competition. Would it be extremely difficult and frustrating to shoot a subcompact for a newbie? I hear Big Dawgs rave about the 36's accuracy. Would the 26 be the best choice of subcompacts for GSSF? Would the 17 be the best full size? I am thinking 9mm because of the logic in the FAQ about smaller caliber less recoil and also because of ammunition cost.

2. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

The G17 is about the most popular pistol in GSSF competition. I suggest entering Amateur/Civilian category where you have a shot at 30 prizes as compared to only 3 in sub-compact. The G36 may only compete in "Major Subcompact, which does not award a pistol prize for firts place. The G26 is most popular in Subcompact Category.

If you shoot your G21 well, you may use it in Am/Civ, but remember, you do not have to be the best in Am/Civ to win a pistol due to the Lewis Scoring System used in that category. For example, if there are 150 shooting in that class, 1st, 51st and 101st win a pistol.;)

Your goal in your first GSSF match should be accuracy, not speed.

3. MFinch

MFinch Guest

If you shoot the 21 well, I'd recommend shooting it in GSSF. If you really want to purchase another Glock, the 17 would be hard to beat. Very accurate, mild recoil and inexpensive ammo. I have a 36 also, and while reasonably accurate, I would still recommend the 17 over it for GSSF.

4. don't tread on me

don't tread on me

I shoot both the 21 and 17 in the GSSF matches. I've shot my best times with the 17. But I love shooting the 21.
    Try the 21 with some soft loads, and you'll be fine!Good luck!

5. Front Sight

Front Sight Front Sight

bofe954
    I'll suggest that you use your G21 for your first GSSF match, Only because you stand a good chance of winning a new Glock if you take your time . Then you can think about which Glock will work the best.

6. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

I don't want to sound negative but I wouldn't wait till I won a certificate if I wanted another Glock for GSSF. The 17 has been very good to me and I would think if you seriously want to shoot in the top 10, it's an excellent choice. If you want to shoot, have a good time and have no serious ambition to be at or near the top then why not shoot your 21 and see where you end up. It's possible you can get where you want with your 21. It is tough to beat a 17 though. ;f

7. mcginnes

mcginnes Safety Officer Millennium Member

I'll add my two cents. My advice is to stick with the 21 at least until you make A-class, or preferably the middle of A-class. The single best thing you can buy for GSSF is practice ammo. If you have $500 or so burning a hole in your pocket, get a Dillon '650 and start cranking out ammo -- you'll need it.

8. TJC

TJC "No Compromise" Millennium Member

Of course you are all assuming that this person can't shoot his 21 really well. I would say that there are people out there that can shoot a 20, 21, or other Glock as well as some shoot their 17's. Maybe even better. ;e

9. Fireglock

Could be TJC, maybe we'll see that happen this year. ;) Of course you were the one that told me 9MM was where it was at in GSSF.

10. TJC

TJC "No Compromise" Millennium Member

Did I? Must have been another lifetime.;)
    I still think it is the way to go but you never know who is asking what and what they are capable of. :)
    But then again, I thought reloads were the way to go too, but what do I know.

11. FotoTomas

FotoTomas Pure Polymer

My two cents worth.

First since you own the G21 and shoot it often (You do shoot it often right? :) ) That is the pistol you will be most comfortable with.

Second the G21 makes a bigger hole. This fact cost me a total of 6 seconds added time twice at my last match. On two separate runs I had a "D" hit that would have cut the "C" line with ANY larger caliber. ARGH!

Third, the GSSF is fun and addicting. It is not however the best choice for many. Shoot your first match at the Am/Civ level and decide if you want to invest more time and energy into GSSF. At that point I am sure you will be able to locate a good G34 and Bobby or Fireglock can set you up with a CARVER mount and then you can add...

12. bofe954

bofe954

Thanks for the help so far. I shoot my 21 a fair amount and would say I am OK with it, not good. I don't think I would suffer in accuracy much for switching to a 17 because I am not THAT good with my 21. I haven't been shooting much lately so I don't think the switch would hurt me. The cost is an issue but I would also recoup some of the cost of the 17 purchase by buying 9mm ammo instead of .45.

Reloading is something I am interested in but I need to wait on since I am currently apartment bound and I can't really set up shop here.

This will be my first competive shoot- I am not really concerned with winning. I would be hoping to get lucky and be 50th or 100th and just have a good time. I don't think the 17 vs the 21 will mean the difference between 1st or 2nd for me or anything. I just don't want to be 210th out of 210 or DNF, but I guess someone has to be. It is also a good excuse to pick up another pistol. The only thing that holds me back is that I probably would not pick up a 17 if I wasn't considering GSSF. There are a lot of other pistols I would like to have.

13. Shred

Shred Millennium Member

I managed to make Master shooting a G23, G29 and G20, so it can be done without a G17 :) :) :)

Apartment reloading is also possible (and advisable if you're going to be shooting a lot of anything besides 9mm). That G23 was fed ammo from a Dillon SDB clamped to my kitchen counter...

- Roy

14. Fireglock

MFinch and DEJ also made it using something other than 9MM. But then again it's all in how good you are, how good you want to be and how long you're willing to wait to get there. ;f And as the owner of a new 21 there are more differences than recoil to be considered. Brass for one, if you reload leaving that high dollar stuff hurts compared to a 9. ;)

15. FotoTomas

FotoTomas Pure Polymer

Fireglock,

When I shot my G36 back when you could win a pistol in Major Sub I took Blazer aluminum ammo for that very reason. I hated leaving big .45 brass lying around. :)

16. S&W686

S&W686 Christ follower

What are the awards and how are they awarded at a GSSF match? I have a 34, so I guess I have to shoot in the competition category.

17. Fireglock

Competition pays 1st Pistol, 2nd 100.00 and 3rd 50.00. AmCiv pays 1 through 10 and splits the field in thirds with the same payout in each group. Finish first in the last third of the field and you could still win a Glock.