close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

GSSF membership &Taxable States

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by B4OPEC, Nov 16, 2006.

1. B4OPEC

B4OPEC

I'm planning to submit my GSSF application and also order one of the guns through the member discount progam. However, I notice that my state is one of the "taxable states". The online form states that the applicable percentage/ rate is on the back of the form..of course, the back of the form is not viewable. Aaaaaarrrrrrrgh!

Does anyone have the percentage for Texas? Otherwise, I guess I'll apply my local rate. Geez, with the sales tax and transfer fee I'm barely coming out ahead by going this route.

2. Turak

Turak

3. ede

ede Bama's Friend

google is your friend, type in your county or city and sales tax and you'll find the answer.

4. texduramax

texduramax Shooter

I'm sorry. Maybe I'm making this more difficult than it needs to be. I just want my order to go smoothly so I want to cover all the bases. The order form says **State And Local Sales Tax. I know for a fact that the local sales tax in Dallas County is 8.25%. The link above ( http://www.taxadmin.org/fta/rate/sales.html )takes you to a form from GSSF that says state sales tax in Texas is 6.25%. Do you pay both of these, one of these, what?

5. RenegadeGlocker

RenegadeGlocker

Your facts are wrong.

Texas State Sales tax is 6.25%. Cities can add up to 2 points to that. Dallas adds its 2 points, so the total State Sales Tax (6.25%) + Local City Sales Tax (2.00%) results in a total State Tax + City Tax of 8.25%.

6. texduramax

texduramax Shooter

I get it now. You are not paying a county-based tax but solely a state tax on the gun. I did not know that about the county adding there 2% on top of the states portion. I thought each county regulated the sales tax for that area. Thanks Renegade for clearing it up for me.

Not to drag this out any longer, and I think I know the answer to this before I even ask, but how is it they can charge sales tax on this purchase? I do not live in Georgia. Is it because it's a firearm so in turn Glock turns around and pays Texas the tax I gave them? Please forgive me if this is elementary questioning, I'm just curious. When you purchase something over the Internet, you do not pay sales tax unless you happen to live in the state where the web based company is located. What makes this any different?

7. RenegadeGlocker

RenegadeGlocker

I have no idea why they charge sales tax. As far as I know they have no business presence in Texas which is the requirement under Texas law. They are supposed to send the tax collected to Texas, but who knows.

8. Archangel Mike

Archangel Mike

All it takes is for them to have an employee residing in a particular Tax State.

They have over two dozen District and Regional Managers and Trainers nationwide so the chances of a particular state having a Glock employee is pretty good.

:angel:

9. Turak

Turak

whether an internet retailer or any business collects a 'sales tax' depends on a few things. Probably the most common are;

1. Where your home or business (i.e. the purchaser) is located compared to where the business (i.e. the seller) is located.

The major point here that comes into play is; If you ( the purchaser) are located in the same state as the seller, then you must pay a state/local sales tax.

2. If a business has a storefront (i.e. permanent structure) located in a state, then they must collect the state/local taxes that are applicable to that state.

Now in Glock's case, they don't 'technically' have storefronts...but they do have 'Authorized Glock Dealers' as opposed to any old gunshop that just happens to have some Glocks for sale. The 'Authorized Glock Dealer' is treated as an 'implied' store front as is supposed to charge the local state'local sales tax, recorded separately from the pistol price.

3. Then there is always the ambiguous, all encompassing 'Fair Use Tax' or 'Remote Sales Tax', sometimes referred to as the 'Internet Tax'. Many states have enacted laws to reach into the 'loop holes' of internet purchases and business technically not having storefronts, etc.

Here is one for the state that I live in...Michigan.

http://www.michigan.gov/treasury/0,1607,7-121-1748_1904_1989-5781--,00.html

Fair use....hmmm not sure about the 'fair' part. Simply looks like another way for the government to get thier percentage of any transaction that takes place.

There are many other factors regarding whether a business collects a sales tax, but the ones listed above are probably the most common.

10. RenegadeGlocker

RenegadeGlocker

Nah, I have a Texas Sales and Use Permit and having employees in the state is irrelevant.