GSSF membership and the standard Glock Armorer's Course ?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by user1, Feb 15, 2019.

1. user1

user1 Millennium Member

Just curious....
    For those that have attended a Glock Armorer's course, you know for one thing that Glock owners need to be members in good standing in the GSSF to attend the 'Armorer's Course'.
    Allow me to assume if I may, that you are the owner of a Glock pistol(s), and as an Armorer's Course (AC) graduate, you probably enjoy maintaining, fixing, repairing, and replacing parts to keep "Your Glock" running! You are NOT a "commercial" armorer; someone that makes all or part of his/her annual income by being a firearm armorer. I have never met a private Glock owner and participant in a Glock Armorer's Course that did not learn something new as a result of attending the Armorer's Course; and that includes me.
    Lastly (with the above in mind) how do you feel about having your "Glock Certificate" having a 3-year expiration date ?? Our certificates are *not licenses; to say they are 'Certification' documents is questionable. They are simply an acknowledgement for having been: accepted to, paid for, attended, and *successfully completed the stated course. I don't know what the (AA) Course certificate states, is it more than what is listed for the (AC). What do you think?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
  2. gkim

gkim

You're correct, you don't need the date, or even the certificate to work on your own guns and enjoy it.
    You DO need the training and certificate if you're going to present yourself as a certified Glock Armorer or use the trademarks that entails

DanaH and user1 like this.

3. user1

user1 Millennium Member

......................................................................................

thanks for the Reply Pard !
    It helps to read other's posts, especially when they are factual. The two distinctions you explained in your post above are 'sliced' very cleanly. IMO, you are right in the center of the ten ring.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
  4. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

The certificate needs an expiration date. If you are to continue being a Certified Armorer, you need to re-certify to stay abreast of changes and improvements. Teachers need continuing education. Drivers licences require periodic renewals. Real Estate Sales Agents in Virginia require continuing education. In May 2019 I will take my 9th and final armorer's class. What I was taught in 1997 has very little resemblance to what is taught today. Back then there were only two generations of Glock pistols.

QNman, slamdunc, xTerpx and 7 others like this.
  5. fastbolt

fastbolt

Yep, it's not uncommon for there to be seemingly constant changes and improvements in the manufacturing, materials and design of Glocks (and other major maker guns).

There's also a lot of opportunity for the company to develop and pass along recommended changes in diagnostic, repair and maintenance practices, as well as help armorers determine whether any new changes in parts and assemblies might be appropriate and recommended in older guns, or just applicable to new guns produced after a certain date (serial number, etc).

The usual period for being currently certified which I've seen in most of my assorted armorer training classes has been 3-4 years, depending on the make/model of gun and the manufacturer.

For a while I was recertifying on some S&W model lines and Glock more frequently than was required or recommended by the companies, and I was still learning about changes in parts, materials, procedures and other things since the previous class, and writing some pages of notes.

6. ADK_40GLKr

ADK_40GLKr Adirondacker with a Glock

Regarding the expiration, MINE has expired and I am woefully ignorant about Pocket Glocks and Gen 5, so an update is in order.

sixgun2, ChrisJn and fastbolt like this.
  7. DannyR

Go for it, Jim.

ADK_40GLKr likes this.
  8. Ranger54

Ranger54

I do my best to renew every three years as a GSSF member and owner of several Glocks. The class is fun, informative, covers new models. I sometime expire for a few months just due to finding a sorta local class that is not restricted to LE.

9. mtstream

mtstream

I’ve renewed after 2 years (Advanced) the last couple of times just because I wanted the updated information. I was completely surprised at the class last month when at the start the instructor told the class to step through the function tests and they were different. Things change and I want to be current.

The first question that came to my mind when the OP asked if we shouldn’t have to renew if just taking care of our own guns was “do you never intend to buy a new model?”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

user1 likes this.
  10. cadillacguns

cadillacguns Millennium Member

Plus you get Bar-B-Que.

sixgun2 likes this.
  11. user1

user1 Millennium Member

DANNY: Hello,
    Your statement in Post #4 includes a statement as follows: "If you are to continue being a Certified Armorer, you need to re-certify to stay abreast of changes and improvements" is *absolutely correct.
    The key to the original thread and to your post is your word; 'CERTIFIED'.
    Now The Policy statement on the back of my certificate addresses the Glock Policy for a Glock *Certified Armorer... Everyone with a Glock "Armorer's Certificate(s) should read it...
    As a side note, on the front side of the certificate the word 'Professional' refers to the name "GLOCK" and not to the person receiving the certificate. The Policy, referred to on the back of a Certificate, is "the GLOCK Certified Armorer Policy on Professionalism". I pretty sure it means what it says.
    Definition - Cer-tif-i-cate:
    1. an official document attesting a certain fact.
    2. to provide with or attest in an official document.
    Definition -
    Certification - the action or process of providing someone or something with an *official document attesting to a status or level of achievement. an official document attesting to a status or level of achievement.
    ex: "graduates who want to gain industry-recognized certifications"
    PEACE
    ps. does an Glock Advanced Course (AC) certificate certify successful completion of the course and grant Certification to the holder of the certificate?

12. user1

user1 Millennium Member

as folks who have taken Glock Armorer's classes (basic and advanced) you all probably en-joy working on Glock firarms; yours and for some of you the Glocks owned by others. I agree with most of 'Danny's' comments as he has been around since day one and has logged more hours online than most of us. I am unsure about the word CERTIFICATION . The Question is; What does a Glock Armorer Certificate certify? I read my certificate both front and back! The Certificate does *not award me with any kind of "Certification". Think about it! If you want to be a responsible adult, you need to accept the fact that words matter.
    I agree with gkim in Post #2. His distinctions say it better that I tried to do. I also gave a thoughtful read to the back side of my Armorer's Course (basic) certificate, which I addressed in post #11. PEACE.

13. ADK_40GLKr

ADK_40GLKr Adirondacker with a Glock

I am certainly NOT a "for-Profit Armorer", but since I want to learn how to properly inspect and function-and-safety-check all of my dozen or so Glocks, I'm gonna have to re-take the Basic Course before I do the Advanced one, as the prerequisite for Advanced is a CURRENT Basic Armorer Cert which I no longer possess.

14. xTerpx

xTerpx Preferred Pronouns: (It, Ya'll, Bruh)

Is re-certification still every three years?

EDIT:

Disregard...it is. :)

3 year Certification upon successful completion for all GLOCK model pistols, excluding the G18 Select Fire models.

15. user1

user1 Millennium Member

thanks.... Pretty good money maker for Glock. Not in-expensive, and required to renew the certificate every three years to keep the certificate current which, as you indicated, is required to move on to the next level! I am glad I keep my manual from the Armorer's basic course. There are things about those 38 parts that I forget.

16. user1

user1 Millennium Member

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
  17. QNman

QNman Old timer

Having just finished the basic class today (after taking it first in 2007), there are certainly more coverage today than 12 years ago, since the one in 2007 was all Gen3. The basic is three years.

Tomorrow and Thursday, I take the advanced course for the first time. I think if wish to “prove” to an a player or any specific entity that you have the necessary qualificatoins to work on Glock pistols, a certificate is necessary.

The advanced is for those who want to actually troubleshoot real firearm issues, not just work on your own Glocks. The advanced certificate lasts five years.

In almost every profession nowadays, continuing education is required to “keep up”. Since there are no known continuing educations courses, the certificates expire so that anyone proclaiming to be an expert in Glock firearms remains proficient and up to date with the newest Glock technology.

xTerpx likes this.
  18. FillYerHands

FillYerHands you son of a

Okay, just dusted off my 2009 certificate, and convinced myself to take it again this summer. So let's pick a month. Anyone else?

19. naughtymoose

naughtymoose

What does it cost for Gssf members.

20. DannyR

I believe the current cost is $250.00