GSSF matches any fun?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by xaircav, May 3, 2007.

1. xaircav

xaircav

I don't want this to sound flip but do you find GSSF matches fun or a chore? Is there a lot of waiting around followed by a little shooting then more waiting? The next event in my area is in Weld County, Colorado in August. It can be blazing hot and bone dry. I gave up Drag Racing because it was hours of waitng between 14 second trips down the track. Your frank input would be appreciated.

2. Justin1911

Justin1911

If you get there early, when the match starts you can generally be finished in an hour to two with minimal waiting around. But it can depend on how many divisions you are shooting in and how many others show up when you do. Being that this is the GSSF forum on glocktalk, I doubt you'll have many folks tell you it is not any fun. Anytime I shoot I have a good time, so GSSF is fun. For me, I enjoy the IPSC, and IDPA game much more than GSSF for many reasons. The chance to win a pistol, and cash is a nice draw that gets me to GSSF matches. But you'll need to practice, as there many on this board who only shoot GSSF and it shows, because they are very good at it.

3. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur CLM Millennium Member

Nope, no fun at all..... ;)

[​IMG]

Usually the matches flow pretty well, but sometimes ya might have to wait a little while. Sunday AM seems to be the best time to shoot.

:patriot:

4. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

Now we see a side of Dwight we've never seen before! :supergrin:

5. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

Looks like "Old Wes and Butch has been picking on the little guy again. :rofl: :banana: :animlol: :laughabove: :tongueout: :wavey: ;)

6. ede

ede

you know a racer named tim larson? as for gssf or any shooting competition if shooting was the only reason i went or competed i'd most likely stay home. to me there's a bigger picture to it than just shooting, visiting with friends i only see at the range or over dinner after the match, or even the trip and seeing differant places and people.

7. FESTUS

FESTUS Guest

Well so far everyone thats posted I know and consider friends I have not met Justin .... yet....I traveled to South Carolina to ....HAVE FUN...if I was trying to make a living, my goal; of weight reduction would be realized in days instead of decades. I had so much FUN the last 6 years I'm planning on shooting in Colorado this August as well and driving....by myself....FUN>>>FUN>>>FUN>>>> :hugs:

8. xaircav

xaircav

Thanks for your replies. I'll give it a try in August at Weld County and take your advice about an early Sunday arrival.

9. glockess56

glockess56 CLM

Yes, they are fun, very fun. Besides improving my shooting skills and satisfying my competition drive, meeting great people is the fringe benefits. I love the friends and people I meet and the renewing old ties. As Ed said, if shooting was the only thing I went for, I could stay home and go to my range for that, but it's not. If it wasn't fun, I sure wouldn't drive by myself to Ft. Benning, GA from Columbus, Ohio (Hey, I went from Columbus to Columbus!)or Conyers, Topton, Lexington, Brighton or Indy. If it wasn't fun, I wouldn't even go to the Marietta match and that's in Ohio! GSSF matches are really neat and highly addictive events. On top of that, you might win something, even if you have an off day shooting. One has to experience these events and places in order to really appreciate them, because they're hard to explain. Even the scenery traveling is a neat experience.

10. Mrs. L.

Mrs. L.

Yes-It IS fun-even if yours scores aren't all that you hoped for; even if you get soaked, scorched, frozen, or "a beautiful day in the neighborhood!":hugs: (You said it right, Glockess)We ladies enjoy it too!

By the way-great to see everyone again- ( yay-Pete!)

:wavey:

Kaye

11. G7

G7 Mostly Metric

Like a lot of things - if you are determined to have fun, you WILL.

If you look for something to moan about, you probably can find it.

So go have fun, meet people, learn new things, help out at the match with pasting targets and painting steel etc. Meet one of the GLOCK reps or gunsmiths, enjoy watching other folks shoot.

On a practical note, reading the rules COMPLETELY, before you go, will eleminate a lot of confusion and possibly, frustration. Keep your attitude positive !!!

(jm3c)

12. Glockerstein

Glockerstein Mabuhay Shalom!

Just be the first in line and waiting no longer be a problem.

I had my first GSSF tournament and was great! Especially, when you hang out with other first timeers.

13. HeGlock

HeGlock flyshooter

GSSF matches are a social event periodically interupted by gunfire.

Waiting? Yep. Sometimes there are long waits. But that allows me to get acquainted with my fellow shooters.

When I remember that I could be in the office, working, puts my life on the range, shooting or waiting, into a perspective I can deal with.

14. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur CLM Millennium Member

Hi Ken! :)

:patriot:

15. HeGlock

HeGlock flyshooter

Howdy Butch...are you guys going to be shooting the Milwaukee match on Saturday or Sunday?

16. GLW

GLW

I've never shot a GSSF match in Colorado but my guess is that it will be just like others that I have attended which means that the folks will be friendly and welcoming to new shooters. Regardless of your skill level, I would suggest that when you check in at the registration desk you ask to be intoduced to a local shooter who is experienced in GSSF competition. They will show you the most efficient way to plan your day and it will be a good opportunity to make a new friend. Regardless, give GSSF a try. You will be glad you did. Don't forget to report back how it went for you.

Hope to see you at a match.

Grady