close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

GSSF Match structure

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by ace007, Aug 17, 2002.

1. ace007

ace007

I've been shooting USPSA for a few months now and will participate in my first GSSF match next weekend in Greeley.

I have some big questions on how the match is run. I found the registration form on the GSSF website and am curious on how the match is organized. It says that you can sign up anytime between 9 and 2 and we'll shoot til dark.

I am used to everybody get signed up before 9 and you are broken up in to squads who then as a group shoot each stage.

How it is run in GSSF matches?

Also since this is a two day match does the one registration run for two days like a major USPSA match would or if you want to shoot both days do you have to sign up for both days.

One more thing. Does anybody know how many stages there will be at this match?

Thanks

Robert

2. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

All GSSF matches feature the same three stages, as defined at www.gssfonline.com

When you show up, you just pick up your score sheets and turn them in to the RO's at the three stages. Then pick the stage you wish to shoot first and wait until your name is called. You may shoot either or both days. You do not have to reserve which day you shoot. On a good day you could be finished in under two hours. Maximum rounds per entry is 107.

Check out last year's Greeley results at the same web site so you know what to expect in the way of competition and number of entries.

3. ace007

ace007

So if I sign up once and shoot all three stages on that day is there any reason to show up the next day. If I want to shoot three stages on both days do I need to sign up twice and pay a double entry fee and be in two different classes.

Also is it a requirement to be a member of GSSF to shoot the match?

Thanks

Rob

4. TJC

TJC "No Compromise" Millennium Member

If you shoot all 3 stages the first day, there is no reason to show up the next day. Unless, you are going to shoot a different class the next day. You can only shoot each class once. You do have to pay for each class you will participate in.

You do need to be a member of GSSF. You can join and register at the match if you wish. Doing so in advance will save you $10 on the registration fees.

If you are a Master or above in IPSC, or Expert in any other major shooting discipline, you may only shoot Stockmeister or Unlimited at the GSSF shoot. I would suggest if you have any questions about which classes you are eligible to shoot, that you read the rules at www.gssfonline.com.

5. another okie

another okie

The major difference in terms of gun handling is that you need to have the slide locked back when you holster up, or have it in a bag. If you have it in a case in your range bag don't take the case out of your range bag until the RO tells you.

There's no drawing from the holster in GSSF, so a bag works fine.

6. ace007

ace007

I must admit that the more I read about GSSF matches the less interesting it sounds compared to the IPSC matches I normally shoot.

I pay an average of $20 per IPSC match where I get to shoot a run and gun match, go through about 150 rounds, and have to come up with a new strategy each stage.

At a GSSF match it's always the same 3 stages, about 100 rounds, no real extensive strategy or reloads involved and it costs almost twice as much. Since I am not a GSSF member and only want to try out a Glock match I'd have to pay $20 to become a member and another $35 to shoot the match. Yeah the prizes or better but the odds are so slim to win one it does not factor much.

Rob

7. MFinch

MFinch Guest

Rob,

I encourage you to give it a try and to understand the COF/format for what it is. I've shot Bianchi and the Steel Challenge a number of times with the same COF each year... with many shooters keep coming back for more the next year. Like GSSF, they stay the same.

You are correct in less focus on strategy than IPSC....more focus on accuracy within some time constraints. If you want to win Master or Unlimited and Bobby, Tony, Dan J., Dale, TJC or Matt show up the heat gets dialed up significantly.

Just a different format, a lot of fun, nice folks, and a chance at some decent prizes.

Regards, Mike F.
    Team Sidearmor
    Leadheads Bullets

8. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

You shoot IPSC matches for 20.00, no membersip fee? If you preregister for GSSF matches it's 25.00 entry fee per category. If it's a lack of challenge with no reloads and strategy you could come out, shoot fast and accurate and show the Masters up. That should provide you with some incentive. No running, no strategy, it's a plus to have a low round count, and accuracy counts. If it's a lack of opportunity to win that bothers you, just remember in Amatuer Civilian there are three guns, the winner and two more through the pack given out per match. Seems like one way or the other your needs would be covered.

9. Boom Vang

Boom Vang

I agree that a squadded format would move shooters through much quicker.

The system in place now is akin to the "European" style match of the Sporting Clays genre - - you register and then move through the fields to your own pace. The result is inevitable waiting to shot while behind the crowds.

I have yet to see the GSSF format work as intended; that is, your sheet (place in line) moving up while you shoot a different stage. It never words right, for various reasons: RO confusion/misunderstanding/incompetence, lack of a consistent central gathering point at each stage to form a waiting list, favoritism, etc etc. In Nashua the system ran very well at one stage, but at a different match venue the system was basically ignored.

To work efficiently, an on-deck squad shoudl get formed anyway, and usually does. So why not just squad up shooters as they arrive and are registered, into groups of 4 or 5? They then shoot the match as a group, in a given order. Therefore, little or no waiting as they are moving into the next stage as the prior squad is moving out. Plus, you shoot with the same people and every pitches in to tape and repair targets.

Every squadded tournament I've been to has been much more efficient, and enjoyable, than the free-for-alls. If you have folks you want to shoot with, then you can wait for them to arrive and shoot together. If you don't care who you shoot with, then you move right into the first available squad. And get done within 2 hours, not 5.

And why not, GSSF?

10. Boom Vang

Boom Vang

The real beauty of GSSF is that ARE NO reloads, strategies, athletic contests, and fake phoney fraud "combat" pretensions. It's just shooting. See who is the most accurate the quickest. That is the real element of "combat" shooting.

IPSC is great entertainment, but winning has nothing to do with defensive shooting. Handle a real gunfight like you play to win IPSC and you may very well end up killed.

IDPA is much better, but it has it's own rules games that wind up restricting how you can handle a problem.

The prizes are better in GSSF anyway! And the course of fire is a real leveler of shooting ability, and not a measure of gamesmanship or equipment.

11. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

Squadded shooting might make you go faster through the match but I'd rather shoot the match in the order I choose, with the folks I choose, at the pace we choose. I'd rather shoot in a manner that complements my efforts to win rather than speeds me through the match. After 4 to 14 hours drive to get to matches I want to enjoy my time with my buds and friends. Just my thoughts.

12. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Ace007,

I've shot GSSF matches, IPSC matches and IDPA matches. The local IDPA matches are squaded and it's an all day affair just to shoot 42 shooters, 7 per squad, through 6 stages. I'll take the GSSF format any and every time. If you wish to show up at a GSSF match at 9:00am, fine. If you wish to show up at 2:00pm, fine. It's your choice in GSSF. If you wish to shoot with friends as a group, just turn your score sheets in together. If you wish to take a lunch break and then resume shooting, fine. If you wish to enter four different categories, fine. If you wish to shoot some categories on Saturday and some on Sunday, fine.

Many IPSC shooters do not like GSSF because the emphasis is on accuracy and not speed. If GSSF courses sound simple, it's because they are. If the GSSF match sounds easy to win, WRONG. You have to have your act together. Prize distribution? Am/Civ normally offers 1 pistol and 9 cash prizes per 50 entries, plus special, additional $75.00 awards to high senior, high junior male, high junior female, high female, high challanged.

GSSF matches probably average 325 entries per match this year. Don't knock it until you try it. I've tried IPSC and do not like shooting while running forward--that is not defensive shooting. I often shoot IDPA, but do not like being told when I should reload. I often pick up procedural errors for neutralizing the first threat I see instead of the closest threat.

Last year at Greeley there were 68 am/civ entries. GSSF awarded 3 pistols and 27 regular cash awards, plus 4 of the $75.00 special awards in that Category alone. Chances of winning at least $25.00 were 50%. The odds are in your favor at Greeley.

Your criticizm of GSSF will be welcome here after you shoot a GSSF match.

13. TJC

TJC "No Compromise" Millennium Member

Ace,

I shot IPSC for right around 20 years. I shot nothing but Limited guns. Most of those years there were nothing but Limited and Open guns. I got my M card with a Limited gun back in about '94. I quit shooting IPSC before getting my GM card as I just wasn't having fun anymore. It was fun for a while, but was nothing more than a game.

GSSF is nothing more than a game. Especially for the nonexperienced shooter/competitor. Not a lot of pressure in most of the classes.

But, if you shoot in the UL class as you say you see it, about 100 rds., you can count on not finishing near the top. That would be about 18-19 rds. too many. ;)

14. ace007

ace007

DannyR: You are correct that maybe I should not say too much until I actually attend a GSSF match. I think I will go up there to at least take a look I'll sign up and spent $55 to shoot the 3 stages and give it a shot.

I do disagree with you that accuracy is not a primary goal of IPSC. Remember the IPSC motto, Speed, Power, and Accuracy. Even more so in the Production devision I shoot in where everything is scored Minor power so accuracy is extremely important.

Do I feel out matched sometimes by the guys with Open and heavily modified guns. Sure, but I'm at least glad that I have the Production division so I'm shooting against people with similar skills.

I won't argue the pros and cons between GSSF, IPSC, IDPA since they are all a little different and each meet different shooters goals. I do think that GSSF needs to do a much better job explaining what their matches are like, so I don't have to seek out a message board to find out (the website is not very good), and not require that a shooter become a member if they just want to try out one match. Neither IDPA or IPSC require this.

Rob

15. 21 shooter

21 shooter

GSSF is meant to be fun and introduce more people to shooting. Plus, you have excellent Armorer's at the match. But mostly, FUN. It is as competitive or laid back as you make it. The top guys in UL take a back seat to no one if you want a challenge. I have met some really fantastic folks there and made a lot of new friends. Go watch a match. That won't cost anything. Be forewarned. It is addictive.;f

16. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

ACE007;
    www.gssfonline.com and www.sportshooter.com contain nearly all info a person needs to shoot gssf. www.gssfonline .com has all the rules and www.sportshooter.com even has short film clips of each stage being shot. Pretty clear info in my opinion. I too have been shooting IPSC and IDPA but preferr GSSF over all of them. If its not enough of a challenge for you then shoot whatever venue provides you the challenge you are looking for.

17. DEJ/FL

DEJ/FL Millennium Member

Don't forget Mike Finch! You best be SHARP if Mike's in the match and he's had his "aiming fluid" the night before, Right Mike!!!
    Dan:cool:

18. MFinch

MFinch Guest

GSSF Entries in UL and Stockmeister $50.00
    Ammo $30.00
    Consuming aiming fluid with my friends from Florida.....priceless

19. DEJ/FL

DEJ/FL Millennium Member

And with friends from Texas also!!;f ;a ;f
    Dan:cool: