close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

GSSF match ?'s

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by S&W686, Mar 7, 2003.

1. S&W686

S&W686 Christ follower

What do the GSSF matches consist of? Is there a list with the allowed eqiptment...holster, mag pouches..etc..?
    Thanks......:cool:

2. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

No running, no holster or mag pouches needed. The three stages are the same for each match. Time and penalty points added together provide your score. For full details check out www.gssfonline.com

3. Mark L Miller

Mark L Miller

You bet,
    GSSF matches consist of 3 different stages. One is 4 strings run on a plate rack, 11 maximum rounds, 6-8"plates at 11yards. Total time. Next stage is called 5 to Glock that has 5 targets staggered away from you at 5,10,15,20,25 yards shot with 3 strings-only two shots per string per target. The last stage is Glock M, that has 4 paper targets & 3 pieces of steel. It is shot with 3 strings & each string consists of 2 shots per paper target & your choice of one piece of steel, second string has 2 shots per paper target & a different piece of steel, 3rd string is the same & you shoot the remaining piece of steel. The paper targets are set at 10 & 20yds & the steel is at 15. Accuracy on the stages with paper targets is very critical, perhaps even more than speed. You do not draw from a holster on any stage, only from low ready & you do not reload during a string. You are allowed 11rds in your gun max. so they are even pc. This is the general layout of the matches. Try looking at www.gssfonline.com & also www.sportshooter.com has some info on GSSF matches. You will probably find they are low pressure, fun, user friendly, & still competitive matches. If you have shot for years, these are for you, if you are brand new to competitive shooting, these are for you. Anyone can do it, in other words as long as you have a glock or can borrow one.
    Hope to see you at a match sometime, MLM

4. S&W686

S&W686 Christ follower

Thanks for the info. I have a 34 and am anxious to shoot it more.
    I'm currently shooting IDPA (with a wheelgun) and noticed that there is a GSSF match at Ft. Harmar (OH) in August. I think I just might have to see if I can make it there.

5. Fireglock

Check back, the "Things to bring to a match" thread should be back up soon, check it out. You can shoot with 2 mags but you will be happier and under less pressure if you have 4 or 5 magazines. 10 rounders work fine. Bring 150 rounds of ammo and have a great time. You can look for the Sidearmor team guys at the Ohio match, Don at PC will be there for sure.

6. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

If you shoot your G34, you will have to enter in Competition Category, because of pistol size and type--has noting to do with shooter skills. The only two categories based on shooter skills are Stockmeister and Unlimited. You may also enter it in Unlimited and shoot with the Pro's.

Primary object in GSSF--Safety First.
    Secondary object--have a great time.

The match in Ohio is new, so the RO's may be inexperienced in running GSSF Stages. There may be slight delays, so bring a folding chair, water and plan to spend a half day.

You may carry your unloaded pistol in a holster with the slide locked open, in a gunbag or in a tupperware box. At a stage you do not touch your pistol until the RO tells you to load and make ready. Eslewhere, you may only handle your pistol in a designated safe area.

If you have any questions at the match, ask anyone. We are a friendly bunch of people. Team Sidearmor will have several members present, wearing grey golf shirts with the Sidearmor logo. We are always willing to assist.

7. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

S&W686;

I am looking forward to the new Ohio match. I have relatives who live in Columbus and a little one horse town called Sedalia, which you probably never heard of. My wife and I plan on making the trip to visit with family and to allow me to shoot the match as well. I will be one of the "Team Sidearmor" crew, probably the oldest of the group. Drop me a line if I can be of any help and by all means let any of the Team Sidearmor folks know if we can assist you in any way, we are always glad to assist when possible. You will find GSSF a fun and even challenging competetion. Be sure to check out the info on www.gssfonline.com for rules, match schedule, registration and listing of which Glocks are legal for which categories. I will be shooting AmCiv with a G17, Stockmeister with a G17 and U/L Master with a G17L.

Hope to see you there.

8. S&W686

S&W686 Christ follower

Thanks Don at PC. I'm going to try to make it to the OH match if my summer schedule will permit. Looks and sounds like a good time.
    Going to Blackwater (NC)next week for a IDPA match, can't wait! Looks like an awesome complex.

9. Don At PC

S&W686;

Good luck at Blackwater. I am preparing for a GSSF match at Anderson SC the 29/30 of this month. Can I assume by your screen name that you shoot a 686? I have a 686 Plus sure shoots sweet. I don't shoot it much any more because I almost always shoot my Glocks but it is a fine wheel gun.

10. S&W686

S&W686 Christ follower

You sort of assumed correctly. The 686 is what I started with in IDPA
    and still shoot, however I have a 625 that is finding more time in my hands as of lately. I like the revolvers because everyone looks at ya like your left handed and from another planet. Sure is fun when you beat someone shooting an auto with a revolver. Not saying that I've done it alot but it has happened. I've only been shooting a couple of years and look forward to many more. The 34 will find some time in my hands also. I think a 17 will probably be in the future also. You know can't have enough guns......

11. S&W686

S&W686 Christ follower

Don at PC, I see that you are a retired USAF Chief with 30yrs service. Just let me say a great big THANKS! to you and all of the other military people that gave us the freedom that we love.
    THANKS!!!!:cool:

12. Don At PC

S&W686;

Thanks for the kind words, I do appreciate them.

I think you will find the G17 a great addition to your collection. I like the G22 as well but have come to really enjoy the G17 and G17L. I am also toying with the idea of one of the new S&W1911's. Really don't need it but you know there is always a new one over the horizon.

13. S&W686

S&W686 Christ follower

Regarding the S&W1911, I spoke to a guy that works at a over priced gun store and he said they are being snatched up as soon as they get one in the case. There getting $1000 for theirs. I think that is
    a little higher than the going price, they are high their other guns and supplies also. He said that the trigger in the S&W 1911 is not as good as the trigger in a Kimber. He wasn't impressed with the gun, For what its worth to you. I think it might be a good collectors piece but it as the saying goes, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If everybody like the same guns it would be boring. I would also have to say I probably wouldn't kick the S&W 1911 out of my safe just for taking up space.

14. Don At PC

S&W 686;

Thanks for your input. I found them in the local area for $702 but have heard the same thing about the trigger. However if all else is good the trigger could probably be tuned up pretty easy. All my Glocks have polished and tuned triggers, just can't stand the 5 pound triggers. Even the Stock Glock 3.5 pound trigger is much improved after a little polishing.

15. MFinch

MFinch Guest

There is probably a 50/50 chance I could be relocated to Ohio if the right position comes avail....(or it could be Houston). If so, I hope to see my Florida partner at Ohio the match. I may very well have an opportunity to make a number of new locationsin 2003.;;b

16. Fireglock

Well I'm sure the Texas gang would miss you but we'd be glad to have you around on the East coast! :)

17. Don At PC

Roger that Mike. I would love to see you make the Ohio Match. That would be 3 Sidearmor members for sure because Coach and I are both going to be there, not sure who else. Orse its early yet, there may be more than I know of. We definately would welcome you to the East Coast Team Sidearmor. Of course we still need enough to keep the Texas part of Team Sidearmor together. We have to keep old "Factory Ammo Tony & Donna" straight.;f ;f ;f ;f ;f