close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

GSSF Match in Westland, MI (The Firing Line)

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by DBLTAP, Jan 23, 2003.

1. DBLTAP

DBLTAP Millennium Member

Anybody going? Is there any difference between an outdoor match and an indoor match?

Thanks,
    DblTap

2. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

There is quite a bit of diffrence. The indoor matches are a series of three matches similar to PPC, only a 50 round count.

The outdoor matches are a three-stage 84 to 107 round count match drawing an average of 325 entries, and giving away about 10 new Glocks and 50 cash prizes.

Descriptions of both are at www.gssfonline.com

3. trapfan

trapfan Got Glock?

Will be at the GSSF shoot on Saturday with a buddy. This one is a lot nearer to me than Bay City where I normaly go to shoot this match. :)

4. gunpilot

gunpilot

I went to this today, it was well organized and went fast.
    Thanks to the team running it!
    Look forward to next months

5. DBLTAP

DBLTAP Millennium Member

Shot on Saturday morning. Got there just after 10:00 AM and was on the second squad into the range.

Very nice facility, professional backstop and shooting positions.

Range officers knew their stuff and I was out the door at 11:30 AM.

Congrats to the staff at The Firing Line. Looking forward to the next two matches and hoping to improve my score.

DblTap

6. Alogusz

Alogusz

Hey Dbltap, what was your score, if you don't mind me asking?

I got 471. I aimed too low at 25 yards. All I could see at that range was the white background of the target.

7. DBLTAP

DBLTAP Millennium Member

Alogusz,

I am only ahead of you by two points, 473. Same problem at 25 yards. The ones that were out of the 10 ring were low and right. With night sights, there is a smaller front post image, the white circle around the tritium bottle, so I can't blame it on the sights. At 25 the time is 30 seconds and everybody was still shooting like it was a 15 second stage.

I think I'm going to try and slow down to get as good a sight picture as possible. It's a total different game when you can see your hits and make an adjustment rather than flinging them downrange. I'm also looking at doing some practice on the NRA target at 25 yards.

Did anybody associated with Glock or the range look at the guns on the line? Was there supposed to be different classes like separate ones for the mini-Glocks? I heard one of the guys in my squad ask if the "Hi-Vis" sights with the fiber optic, light gathering colored front sight were legal and the reply from the RO was "yes".

I didn't think that fiber optic sights were legal for Glock matches, but then again, this was my first time shooting in a Glock match.

What model and load were you using? I'm using my G21, .45 ACP with 185 Winchester White box. Leaves a nice gray coating on the muzzle end of the slide and front rails. Had to wipe off the front sight between strings!!!

How did everyone else do????? Post your numbers and we'll see who can improve in February and March!!!

DblTap

8. John45ACP

John45ACP

This was my first GSSF match as well as my wifes. In fact I bought my Glock 34 the day before. I'm a member of the Firing Line an my wife and I both shoot their fun league. It is a great place to shoot.

The turnout was 104 shooters which I understand is a record for an indoor match. It was well run and a lot of fun. I'm looking forward to the other two sections of the match. I shot 438 which isn't too bad considering a new gun. Top score was 497.

9. DBLTAP

DBLTAP Millennium Member

497 out of a possible 500. Well there goes my thoughts of winning....

Now it's up to the Lewis system to help out.....

DblTap

10. trapfan

trapfan Got Glock?

Match went real good took a new G17 and had them put Mepro night sights on then shot match with it. Got out with a 478 out of 500. That will teach me to shoot a new weapon and new sights for score. Store I thought was top notch and am looking foward to the next shoot.

11. ZIPGRAVER

ZIPGRAVER Glock Engraver

I also was at the Firing Line Friday and Saturday and I thought I would at least have a chance to watch some of the action and learn and maybe compete in an upcoming match. YEAH RIGHT! I set up my engraver and all I can say is there are a lot of newly engraved Glocks in the Detroit area. Lot of people came in on Friday to get there pieces scratched up and a lot came on Saturday either before they shot or after. What a marvelous event at a marvelous place. Well run and jammed packed. Congrats to the Firing Line and all of you that competed there.:)

12. John45ACP

John45ACP

DBLTAP,

What lane were you shooting in? I was on the second squad shooting from lane 6.

13. DannyR

The indoor matches only have one class--stock Glocks. Fiber optic sights are not legal (but just about usless indoors). Pistol award is not based on winning, but on the luck of the draw for indoor matches. Winning the match allows you bragging rights.

The Lewis system is used in the regular, outdoor GSSF matches. Perhaps, someday, it will apply to the indoor matches as well.

TIP: If you can dim the lane light over the shooter's table, you may find you have a much better sight picture.

14. DBLTAP

DBLTAP Millennium Member

John45ACP,
    I was in lane 6, not too sure about the squad though. Was wearing a black Red Wings Stanley Cup hat, black turtleneck (to stay warm) under a Corvette 50th Anniversary polo. I watched through the window by ZipGraver and was on the squad after Dave and Matt, the two guys that were wearing the dark blue "Michigan Highpower Rifle Team" sweatshirts.

DannyR,
    So what determines the awards?? Luck of the draw? If so, I'm not doing very well. <grin> Purchased $50 worth of stuff from The Firing Line, which put my name in the white entry drawings. I filled out both the blue entry and the sign-up yellow entry. Did they hold the drawings on Saturday? If so, since I have not received a phone call, looks like they didn't pull my name. Oh well. No big deal as I have enough firearms related "stuff" and unless it's a gun, I'd have to think pretty hard about lugging something that I already have back home. With over 100 participants in the match and entering three drawings, it's still only a 1% chance in each. I went to compete, to set a starting point to measure improvement and check out a new place to shoot. Those goals were met, so basically I'm a happy camper.

From what I understand from the GSSF website, they are going to take the best two of the three scores (or the two that are available) and average them together to get a final score. Do they use X count to break ties, as in Highpower scoring?

Being new to the game, have to ask for further explanation of the rules.

DblTap

15. DannyR

You have to shoot 2 of the three matches to be eligible for the pistol drawing, which is after the 3rd match has been completed. There is only 1 pistol for the 3 matches.

16. Alogusz

Alogusz

I was shooting my G19 w/ Heinie night sights. I shut my light off for after the first 10 shots, it really makes a difference.

It was neat watching Zipgraver's set up. Will the metal that's exposed rust, or does Glock's tenifer treatment go that deep?

Overall, I really enjoyed the match, nice and quick.

I also shoot in the FL's sunday night league, which is usually around 100 rounds, but different targets, courses of fire etc.

See you guys at the next match.

17. DBLTAP

DBLTAP Millennium Member

Thanks for that tip. I'll try it in February.

DblTap

18. John45ACP

John45ACP

Great!! Give the opposition tips to improve their scores. ;f ;f

19. DBLTAP

DBLTAP Millennium Member

John45ACP,

By your handle, I'll guess you shoot one of the Big Dawgs? If you shot one at the match, did the range staff have problems finding all your hits during the scoring?

Why I ask is on my first target (the close one), there was one BIG ragged hole where the X used to be.

;f

DblTap

20. John45ACP

John45ACP

Well, 45ACP is my preferred cartridge but I shot a Glock 34 that I bought the day before - my first Glock. My wife has one and I liked it and thought I would get one to shoot production in USPSA matches.