close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

GSSF Legal?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by humphreys19, Jun 14, 2012.

1. humphreys19

humphreys19

Simple question-
    All four of my Gen 3 Glocks have had the finger "humps" ground off because their spacing does not fit my fingers. The rules state that "stippling" is illegal, and that grip tape is legal, but makes no mention whatsoever of removing the grip "humps" or any other minor modifications to the grip or frame.
    If I grind off the "humps" and add grip tape to the front strap of my Glock, does it make it illegal for Am/Civ, and only shootable in unlimited? There is no stippling, which is not legal, and there is grip tape, which is legal, the question is the removal of about 1/8 of an ounce of polymer from the grip. What say ye?

Happy Shooting,
    Tom

2. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

That is an illegal GSSF modification, per GSSF. You may only enter a modified frame in Unlimited category.

3. humphreys19

humphreys19

Thanks, Danny
    That's what I thought, though I do think it is a little silly. The bumps don't fit me, they hit right in the middle of my fingers rather than between, so they serve no purpose for me other than to be uncomfortable. My hands are not that big, so I know I am not the only one with this complaint, but if that is the rule, so be it. I will just shoot my Gen 1 G17 for GSSF- ain't got no humps!
    Happy Shooting,
    Tom

4. S.Kargoh

S.Kargoh

I think the rules are pretty clear. I don't have them handy, but I think I remember reading "No permanent frame modifications such as stippling.". Shaving off the humps is permanent frame modification

Anyway, rereead the rules when you get a chance. I wish they would make the new glocks without the bumps too. I shoot a g17 gen 2 with thousands of rds through its life. I am thinking of retiring it from carry duty soon. :( I love the grip.

5. DannyR

Although I shoot my Gen4 G19 as well as my Gen2 G19, I still prefer the Gen2 grip.

To minimize the presence of the finger humps, I use a Pachmayr Tactical grip sleeve.

6. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

I have no problems with the humps, my complaint is just the "girth" of the grip. What some people call block.

I've gotten to shoot a Lone Wolf "Glock" frame a couple of times. I really wish Glock had used a design closer to that. I'm not a small guy, and I think the Glock grip is too big, have to think that smaller folk (and most women) are going to have a problem with it.

Oh well.... it is what it is.

7. HexHead

HexHead

Tried the Gen4 yet? My wife has small hands, and a Gen4 17 was just the ticket for her.

8. DannyR

I'm short on everything except weight, but I've learned to live with it.

In college, the ROTC had to special order my shoes, 5-1/2EEE.

Due to old age and gravity, I now wear an 8-EEEE.:whistling:

9. SARDG

SARDG

That's what I said in another thread - only I called their grip a brick. On my G30 (not SF, and the first Glock I bought), to get my trigger finger where it must be, my thumbs are not where I wish they were. That potential for poor trigger finger position is what makes it easier to push off-target. I really like the XD grips; just seem perfect for me.

10. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

I have, but I'm not a fan of the trigger pull changes. Seems heavier to me.

I bought my G17 before there was a Gen4, and when I got my G34 last year, made the decision to just get the Gen3 again.

Maybe one of these days. The grip size is obviously not a showstopper for me, I own 4 Gen3s and do fairly well in matches with them.

11. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Retired

Pffftttt

12. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

Does this mean that you think Kitty is being wimpy? :crying::rofl::faint::embarassed:

Don

13. SARDG

SARDG

Do not mess with me - I am a warrior! :2gun:

14. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Retired

I think she is confused:tongueout:

15. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

A What???????????? :rofl::rofl::rofl::tongueout: Looks like maybe Bama is the Wimpy one.:faint:

Don

16. unclebob

unclebob DFC, MSM, 13 Air Medals.

CG warrior? :dunno:

17. SARDG

SARDG

You question the Coast Guard's ability to fight? Coasties were coxswains on the Higgins boats during the Normandy landings. Coasties manned many of the patrol boats in the rivers of S. Vietnam and patrolled the coasts of Vietnam in battleship gray cutters. No Bob, we're tough! :yawn:

Besides, I'm former Navy and was stationed in Hawaii fighting those crazy tourists and surfers. :drool:
    :tongueout:

18. unclebob

unclebob DFC, MSM, 13 Air Medals.

But were you?:supergrin:

Being in Hawaii must have been ruff?:whistling: But then I guess someone had to do it. Bet you were kicking and screaming all the way over.:upeyes:

19. SARDG

SARDG

Okay, you got me there... :embarassed:

The only reason I ended up in Hawaii is because I asked for the Mediterranean on my 'Dream Sheet'... :headscratch:

I made do.

20. S.Kargoh

S.Kargoh

My gramps was in the coast guard in WWII. Before he died a few years ago, hewrote a short synopsis of hisadventures. It was an interesting read. they saw some action.