close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

GSSF is now limiting the indoor league to one Match a year at each location

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by KYgundoc, Jul 9, 2006.

1. KYgundoc

KYgundoc

GSSF just sent the indoor range I work at a letter saying that they will be limiting us to one Indoor match per year. We were having 3 per year and some ranges were having 4 each year but at the request of our customers. I did have Scott tell me at Indy that the indoor League was now being run By GSSF staff where before it was the sales staff that was running the indoor league. I also understand they will be telling us when we will be able to have our matches. Anyone but me hear about this?

2. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

to stop your range from holding it's own GSSF style matches.

3. ede

ede Bama's Friend

ok stupid question time, why would GSSF want to limit it's self by only have one series per range. i know the ranges i shoot at ahve another series lined up to start after this series is over. not sure about next year.

4. KYgundoc

KYgundoc

We have talked about this and plan on having GSSF style indoor matches with Cash as prizes.

I have no Idea why. That is why I am posting it here to try to find out. Ask the ranges that you shoot at if they have seem this letter. Maybe we are the only range to get one. I would like to know the reason behind this myself. I know that the GSSF staff lurks here so maybe it will come out why.

5. cpolk

cpolk

Is it all states, or just Kentucky and Ohio as I read in the letter? Either way it seems to contradict their stated intentions of these matches. I have had nejoyed each match, meeting new people and learning more about matches in general over the last year.

6. q3custom

q3custom GSSF MASTER

If true this is a very stupid mistake on glocks part.The ranges that have been doing yeoman's service on glocks behalf can simply continue with gssf style matches,open to other types of firearms.

7. TJC

TJC "No Compromise" Millennium Member

Wouldn't be the first time something stupid was done by the people down there.;)

8. Rikki

Rikki Pathetic Loser

I too read "the letter".
    I do not know exactly what led to this decision by "the powers that be",but I can come pretty close to summarizing the reason that was stated in the letter:
    (this is a loose but pretty accurate paraphrase of the letter)
    14 clubs are hosting ID GSSF matches in KY and OH...
    Going to limit you to 1 a year because everyone can't go to all the matches...
    Something about a 100 mile radius...
    "Co-operation" and willingness to be "nice" will be appreciated in this matter.
    That's about it...
    I can't comment on the Ohio situation-don't shoot there-only thing I know about that place is heresay, and that don't count.
    AFAIK there are only 2 clubs in KY that do ID GSSF...
    Sportshooters- have held matches maybe 4-5 times-
    and ___________(somebody help me with the name) that has held one ID GSSF match...
    I can tell you that I am disappointed with this decision.
    I have shot in every ID GSSF match that has been held at Sportshooters-only have missed one month, and that was to RO OD GSSF in Indy.
    I will attend __________ in Lv- if GSSF will advertise it and tell me where/when it is-the only reason I didn't shoot there was because I didn't know about it.

This decision by "whoever" does not provide any competitor with an opportunity to shoot MORE; and do that shooting CLOSER TO HOME.
    This decision may in fact be due to "ranges" whining about schedule overlaps and ranges competing for the same shooters.
    The whiner's need to realize that the "Big Hogs at the Trough"(ie Full Stocking Glock Dealers) are now gonna get the 1st pick of dates...
    Somewhere, someone has said,"Stock more Glock product and I'll get some shooters in here for you by shutting down some of those other guy's matches"

9. ede

ede Bama's Friend

rikki that's about the stupidest thing i've heard in a while. like you i only know what goes on here and not in the bluegrass state. i shoot at 3 ranges ,there is no over lap of match dates. there are 2 other ranges i don't shoot at and i know there is no over lap of dates for cincy, not sure about the new one in dayton area, i wasn't planning on shooting it. even if there were an overlap of dates there is a group of shooters that will travel to shot and another group that will only shot closer to home. i think the bottom line in making any sort of decision like this is "how will this benifit the shooter and supporters of the indoor GSSF league". near as i can tell it only hurts me by limiting my indoor shooting to 9 matches a year instead of 27, not counting the other 2 ranges i don't shoot at.

10. KYgundoc

KYgundoc

I think Rikki hit the nail on the head. This not about any benifit to the shooter this is about selling more Glocks. GSSF was never started for the shooters it was started to sell Glocks to more people and if we keep this point in mind we can umderstand why they do the things they do. I still want to shoot GSSF as much as ever but with fewer local matches and Gas over $3.00 a gallon I will just have to start shooting USPSA and other local club matches over 100 mile plus drives to GSSF matches. I still do not know if the Ohio ranges have this letter or not. ede why not find out and let us know.

11. domzilla9

domzilla9 Phone Flinger

I haven't read the letter myself. But I'm not really that surprised to hear about it. I had reports (not necessarily accurate reports) of some bad blood between the Ohio ranges over overlapping schedules and competition for choice dates.

This news begs a lot of questions.

So, limiting the number of indoor matches to once per year is supposed to somehow increase attendance? How is that?

You want people to pay $35 a year for a membership that will allow them to compete in one indoor match per year in their local area? Shooting in a single match annually will cost a participant $35 for membership plus $25 for two gun entries, for a grand total of $85 to shoot 100 rounds of ammunition at 4 paper targets.

What is the purpose of the indoor league? I had throught, perhaps incorrectly, that its purpose was to introduce new shooters to sport shooting. It certainly served that purpose for me. How does limiting a range to one match per year serve this purpose or any business or promotional purpose?

I certainly don't understand a lot of the business decisions that Glock makes. As much as I like Glock firearms I certainly don't get a warm fuzzy from Glock as a customer, or a consumer. Obviously, they've made a lot of decisions that have made them a dominant player in the market, but I still think that GSSF, both indoor and outdoor, doesn't draw more players because it is so poorly marketed and underfunded. It's not because of Gas prices. It's because there are a lot of other things to do that also cost money and competition for those discretionary fun dollars (gallons of gas) is a little tougher. I have never seen a print advertisement for a Glock indoor or outdoor match. Why wouldn't Glock pay for co-opted advertisment with ranges that reach certain turnout goals? Bleah, I'm tired.

12. glockess56

glockess56 CLM

With GSSF Indoor League Matches, I shoot regularly in the BlackwingSC (Delaware), NASR (New Albany)and recently the Lauhorner (Springfield) Ohio matches. I have even shot at the Targetworld (Cincinnati)matches in the past. I assure you they don't overlap and each match is more than 90 from Kentucky, Indiana, West Virginia or Pennsylvania, so we don't hurt those folks. They are shot on alternate Saturdays each of the months they are scheduled. So, what's the problem?

People sign up for GSSF memberships at these matches and, possibly look at new Glocks. Why would they mess with these matches at all, as they are getting publicity and memberdship fees.

I wonder if we would write to GSSF if it would do any good? Would they at least listen? I haven't seen or heard of the letter in Ohio. I already sent in my survey that was in the Glock Report (we got three months late. What did it overlap?. Does anyone else think we should write them? Maybe if they get enough emails and letters, they might just look at the situation before they act. Maybe? I sure would like to look at that letter to see how it's worded and what GSSFs intentions are for the coming months!:frown:

13. BabyG

BabyG

I also received a letter but, that's not what mine says. Because of the number of ranges in OH & KY, we are being asked to be more considerate. GSSF wants to spread the matches around to include new ranges. The letter states that if we don't play nicely we will be limited to one match a year. Play nicely and you can have more than one a year.

14. shadow_dog

shadow_dog Hilljack

I shoot Cinci, Springfield and just started New Albany. When Vandalia first posted their first match on GSSF it was an overlap with Springfield, IIRC. Now they have their matches posted for Sundays, not Saturdays. I figured it wouldn't be too long before someone started complaining about not getting a match without some sort of overlap. IMO, this new rule from GSSF stinks.

15. KYgundoc

KYgundoc

I read the Letter a little closer tonight and saw that it threatens to only give us one match a year if we did not play nice. How do we not play fair when they are approving the match dates. I still find it hard to belive that they want to restrict us AND make us pay for the prizes. (Personal rant and not the opinion of the range owner)

16. Berretta9

Berretta9

I think it has probably more to do with the guys right across town ( in Louisville at least ) as their match did slightly overlap with the one we shoot at. If I had to guess I'd say they are probably the source of the complaint. I can't see how Louisville competes with the match held in Cinnciatti. We drove up and shot that match and it was so bizzar I won't go back again. I doubt they are complaining about Sportshooters matches. I now own 4 Glocks and after seeing this maybe I don't need to support them anymore. It's really petty on their part

17. marca

marca

Sorry to hear this. I joined GSSF just this year to improve my shooting (and boy do I need to improve!). The more matches I can participate in the better. To me, one advantage of so many matches in Ohio has been, I can’t always count on my schedule being consistent. If I can’t make it to one match then I attend another. It seems to me I see mostly of the same people at all of the ranges/GSSF matches, so I can’t imagine anyone is loosing business. If I’m limited to once a year then I see little benefit to membership. Maybe I should apply my $35.00 GSSF renewal fee to a few boxes of ammo. Bummer.

18. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

BUT if your Glock needs work. A REAL Glock match provides an armorer

to do it for free, parts included.

In Va. an indoor match was scheduled on the same day as the states outdoor match.

Now we have NEITHER!

Be careful what you wish for.

19. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

"In Va. an indoor match was scheduled on the same day as the states outdoor match.

Now we have NEITHER!"

Lethal; you are so right. A small group of us used to drive up from Florida every year for the outdoor match and enjoyed it very much. Folks must consider the very small number of folks who run GSSF and their budget is dictated from higher up the food chain. Not saying that GSSF hasn't made some mistakes along the way but they get the blame many times for things they have no control over. Remember Mr. Gaston is THE Boss, it's his company and GSSF get their directives from his wishes.

20. domzilla9

domzilla9 Phone Flinger

The way I see it, Gaston owes me a big hug and an apology.