close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

GSSF in New York

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by saber, Feb 19, 2004.

1. saber

saber

I'm looking for information on transporting a handgun in NYS. Since there's a GSSF match in NY, I assume some participants are from out of state. It's my understanding that non-resident handgun possession is a big no-no. Under what circumstances can a non-resident transport a handgun? The FOPA only protects you if possession is legal at both your origin and destination. Also, have any of you flown (non NYC airport) into state and then driven to the match?

In the next month or so I will be flying to northen NY and then driving back to Washington State. I would like to bring a handgun (locked and unloaded, etc of course). Is this even possible or am I out of luck?

Thank you for your help.

2. Comrade Bork

Comrade Bork

....you are allowed to bring a handgun into NY State IF you are attending an organized match there. You might go to "www.packing.org" and look up the section for NY for more details. Flying INTO NY is not much of a problem. Luggage searches are only done at your point of origin; Washington State. I doubt that anyone in WA is going to care that you are flying to NY State with a gun. Flying OUT of NY State is another matter. Since you are required to "declare" your guns to your airline, and since TSA is guaranteed to search your luggage, there is NO way your guns are not going to come to the attention of the local NY authorities. If so, it is questionable whether the "I attended a shooting match" would do any good or not. If it were me, I would chance flying INTO NY with a gun. I would NOT try to fly out with one. The whole time I was traveling in NYS I would have all my guns & accoutrements locked in the truck, with nothing in the passenger compartment (gun magazines, (the reading kind), "Kill them all and let God sort them out" T-shirts, etc.) that says "guns" to anyone, especially a cop who pulls you over for speeding. Keep a low profile and you should be fine.

3. ledavatar

ledavatar

Just don't bring a gun anywhere near NYC. There's a load of restrictions which includes one that says whereas it's legal to step onto a plane in another state w/ one in the luggage, it'll be a felony once you step off the plane in NYC. Also, I don't know if it's a state thing or a city thing, but guns and ammo must be separate when transporting - which means the ammo cannot be in the trunk of the car if your gun is. You can have a range bag in the body of the car with the ammo and the gun locked in a container in the trunk.

4. Glock Dave

Glock Dave

I actually contacted the NY State Police about this one and they told me to have the Gun and Ammo in separate locked containers and both of them in the trunk.

5. saber

saber

Thank you all for your replies. I was hoping to hear from more people who have actually flown into NY with a handgun. Perhaps I was wrong in my assumption that this is common. Or perhaps folks are reluctant to discuss their experience. Obviously I'm trying to stay legal while exploring my options. All things being equal, I should be covered by the 2nd Amendment and the Equal Protection clause in the Constitution. Of course this is not the case.

Anyhow, my plans will keep me far from NYC so those concerns are not a problem. Also since I'll be driving out of NY, I won't be declaring any firearms at the airport. I am mostly concerned with landing at, say, the Syracuse (sp?) airport and having to answer a bunch of questions when I try to retrieve my luggage. I assume the airlines electronically tag my suitcase as containing a declared firearm. Obviously, the gun stays locked and unloaded at all times. BTW I have already read everything I could find on packing.org and the NRA interstate travel page.

Thanks again for your input. I look forward to anyone else sharing their experience.

6. badata2ds

badata2ds

You assume incorrectly. If they tagged your luggage as containing a gun you would never see it again. Actually, they are required to ensure their is not external mark whatsoever. The airlines don't track, once it's on the plane you will have no issue at all claiming it, just like a regular bag.

7. saber

saber

badata2ds,

Thanks for the clarification. I knew that the orange "steal me" tag goes inside the locked case, but I also assumed that the bag was electronically "tagged" as containing a firearm in the airlines computer system.

8. Front Sight

Front Sight Front Sight

Saber
    I live in upstate NY. When I flew to the GSSF match in GA my Glocks were declared at the the counter I showed them that they were unloaded put them back in my hard plastic case then put the case in my hard suit case they put there red ' steal me' tag inside and locked case. When I got to Atlanta I picked up the bag and found the hotel. Did the same coming back. Make sure you have the GSSF schedule with your guns as proof why you need a Glock if asked. Next time I go to GA I may buy ammo down there Wal - mart sells it pretty cheap.
    I may attend both days at Fulton match . If I can pick up factory ammo at Wal Mart for you let me know.

9. saber

saber

Thanks again for your input.

Due to circumstances beyond my control, I won't be travelling to NY as previously planned.

-saber