close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

GSSF Caliber

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by jantydog, Jan 5, 2006.

1. jantydog

jantydog

I have a G23. I have never shot competition but someday may like to shoot GSSF. The G23 is a nice carry choice and can do well at the range.

Of course, I want another Glock, primarily for a potentially better "target gun" for range competition. Since the carry aspect is covered by the G23, would you recommend that I go with a G17 or would you recommend a G22 or G35 for GSSF fun competition?

Does using the G35 (or any other Glock) put you in a different (higher) competition category?

Any difference between G selection for indoor outdoor GSSF?

Thanks for any advice.

2. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

Probably the best all round Glock for outdoor GSSF matches is the G17. The G34/35 would put you in competition and is not legal in Amature Civilian or Amature Guardian. If you like the .40 cal. then the G22 would is legal in the same classes as the 17. More info can be found at www.gssfonline.com and look at the Glock Report, it will have all the rules for all categories.

3. Rusty Phillips

Rusty Phillips Moderator Millennium Member

G19?

some people (me) shoot the G19 better than the G17

4. Rikki

Rikki Pathetic Loser

I would investigate buying a 9mm replacement barrel and a couple of 9mm mags for your G-23.
    That will set you back about 200$ but allow you to shoot the less costly WWB ammo. The .40->.9mm gives you a thicker barrel and you can get it in conventional rifling if the chance of shooting lead bullets
    appeals to you.

5. Don At PC

If you go the replacement barrel route you may? have to also change out the ejector. This is not always needed but on some guns it is to be reliable. Also IF you go the replacement barrel and want to shoot GSSF outdoor matches it MUST be a Glock Manufactured replacement barrel to be allowed in any of the Amature Categories. If you use a KKM, Barsto, Jarvis or any of the others then it is only allowed in Unlimited Masters. You asked about GSSF this is why I point this out.

6. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Glock does not make a 9mm conversion barrel. Use of an aftermarket barrel would require you to shoot only in Masters/Unlimited Category. Stock means Stock.

7. Don At PC

Yep; you are absolutely correct saying that Glock does not make a conversion barrel. My mistake. My main point was to be sure jantydog understood that if he used an after market barrel that was not a Glock barrel would throw him in the Deep End (Unlimited Masters). Didn't want to see him waste his money on something that would eliminate him from the Amature Categories.

By the way --------- Are you taking care of that Hand??????? Good to hear from you.;)

8. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

Great point - the 19 is also a wonderful stock gun. If you're accustomed to the G23, the G19 might be the ticket. Frankly, judging by what's sitting in my local shop, if you wanted you could find or look for a cop-trade 19 for $350-375, and put some fresh target sights on it of your choice. If you prefer finger-grooves, put a Hogue on it. With 4 mags total you're in business. :)

9. Rikki

Rikki Pathetic Loser

Well, GSSF is such an easy sport to figure out the rules in..
    Of course an aftermkt bbl is perfectly legal in Indoor GSSF- at least where I shoot.
    And "STOCK MEANS STOCK", unless you're wanting to talk about putting an aftermkt set of fiber optics on...
    Might as well buy a '17...'Cause a 34 or 35 does put him out of Am---.
    and a 17L is just as much trouble.
    I'd slap a BarSto in it, buy 2 mags and shoot all the Gssf Indoors that a 2hr drive of Columbus OH. would put me in. 3 places= 9 days of shooting over a 3 mo period.

10. Don At PC

However the outdoor matches are 100 times more fun, offer many more opportunities to win more money, more Glocks and meet hundreds more new friends. Indoor matches are better than not shooting at all but totally no comparision to an outdoor GSSF Match.

I would still highly recommend getting a stock G17 or 19, put a good set of aftermarket sights on it, do some serious practice and try a couple matches.

11. Pharaoh

Pharaoh

I will second what DonatPC said the GSSF matches are way big whoots. Number one is Fun Fun Fun. Yes it is nice to win but the fun level is way more at the top. You have more chances to win something than at indoor matches. I am using a G17 and a G17L/G34 and was shooting G22 and G35 but 40 S&W ammo get expensive don't ya no. When you get to travel to 10 to 12 matches each year with a great bunch of friends it gets even better.

Pharaoh

12. Front Sight

Front Sight Front Sight

Have you considered the G27? You can then shoot in the compact class. Also you will only need one caliber of ammo.

13. Pharaoh

Pharaoh

There you go another great choise.

Pharaoh

14. jantydog

jantydog

Thanks for the great feedback! Now, what to do? I may just go ahead and add a G17 to give the G23 some company.