GSSF becomming more volunteer oriented

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by murph2127, May 11, 2005.

1. murph2127

murph2127

Hello,

I have been reading the messages about the changes in GSSF on this forum and others.

Apparently, right or wrong, good or bad, Glock Inc seems to want to sharpen their pencil where GSSF is concerned.

Been reading over the many discussions of the costs of a match and such, and do realize most the posters have made some valid points.

It would seem the major costs of the match are the prizes, and labor for the GSSF staff at the matches. I suspect Glock is more concerned with the fixed cost of the staff, (armorer, match director, travel, meals, lodging) than the actual prizes, as they are variable depending on the attendence.

IDPA and USPSA do a very good job of running their matches with little or no infrastructure or staffing from the governing body. GSSF is of course, its own animal and as such it is difficult to compare it with these sports, but there are some similarities.

To wit, I think that perhaps it is time to investigate and discuss how GSSF matches could be run in a way that would make it easier on clubs to run the match in a more profitible manner and make GSSF run leaner.

Here is what I was thinking. I could be wrong and it certainly is not the complete answer, but I'd like to discuss it anyway.

First of all, GSSF develops a training program for match directors. Local club officials wanting to run a GSSF match will attend the training and get certified. This local contact will be responsible for traning local range help and will be responsible for the overall match adminstration and range master duties.

Second of all, GSSF communicates with Glock Inc, with an armorers class. Certified match directors are permitted to send one or two local GSSF members to a local armorers class, with the students or local club paying the fee. These people get the training with the promise that they must work the local GSSF match for the weekend, else they loose their Certification. Glock sends out a kit of parts for the match, which is returned after the match with a report of what parts are used and on what gun.

Third of all, local clubs provide their own equipment and targets, soup to nuts.

Lastly, the stats are returned to paper and are done locally on Glock software with local stats personnel.

Glock then works out a different financial arraingement with the clubs whereby the clubs keep a larger piece of the match fee for their troubles and costs, but Glock still gets enough to pay for the prize table and their adminstration costs- enough to make the division look good to Glock Inc.

Glock no longer has the costs associated with sending people all over the country but in its place, creates a system where it will be easier and more cost effective for clubs to start doing GSSF matches or to decide to return to the fold.

It would be slightly more work for the local club but the benefits are there and I do not think the Officiation would suffer as the stages themselves are pretty simple to judge on.

What do you all think?

Ted Murphy
    GSSF Member

2. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

It's very nice that you're thinking about how GSSF could be better.

The biggest hurdle I see is Glock is loathe to give up any control over anything associated with it's name.

At least you have positive thoughts! :)

3. Rusty Phillips

Rusty Phillips Moderator Millennium Member

this is not a rant per se, but -

IMO, if GSSF is squeezing so hard on the clubs that host the matches that they are dropping out, perhaps more of the burden needs to be passed on to the competitors.

if the $$$$ dont work out,
    dont give out so much in prizes,
    or increase the entry fees.

how much does a typical IDPA state match cost to enter?
    what are you likely to win?

4. Fireglock

Too late, they already did that. :)

5. Rusty Phillips

I dont want to get into a shoving match with you as your arms are bigger around than my legs,

but raising the membership fee from $25 to 35 was a drop in the bucket

maybe GSSF's $25 entry fee (for each class at each match) should be more like $50

heck the IDPA state matches are all $75

compare the prizes given out!

6. Fireglock

Rusty, I wasn't shoving, just poking. ;f Since I can't go to matches I thought I'd have some fun with you. :)

7. sniper1moore

sniper1moore

Rusty,

I shoot quite a bit of major IDPA matches and with that $75.00 match fee you usually get at least 10 challenging stages a match shirt and dinner and a drawing for prizes in addition to a trophy if you win or come in high enough to place with a enough shooters in your division and class.I would be glad to pay more per match if they set up a few more courses of fire in addition to the three that they have now.I think GSSF is a great sport especially for people new to guns(Glocks)but it could be improved.Ken

www.shooterslobby.com

8. GoGlock

GoGlock

The $25/$35 entry fee is enough for me - with fuel costs, hotels, ammo and meals I'm just making ends meet now. Everything else around me is too far. Last year(?) I was somewhat planning on getting out to the NJ match. After I found out about the ridiculous and idiotic law about the hi-caps I deleted them from my list of possibilities forever.

Mark

9. Melissa Ann

Melissa Ann

We have several 10 round mags left over from the bad old days when we wouldn't use $85.00 mags for competition. We use them for jersey or shooting in the mud.

The hi cap ban is the least of New Jersey's sins against the second amendment.

Melissa :)

10. Rusty Phillips

looks like you will be shooting before you know it

I heard a rumor that a group of retired fella's with a trailer full of a hundred thousand dollars worth of steel targets are gonna run their own GSSF style match at Jacksonville in July, and another match in Orlando in Jan/Feb 2006

it's going to be called the FSSF,

apparently they said "well, if Jax and Orlando are gone, we should have our own match, and that was it.

you think I should wait before getting my hotel reservation?

11. Fireglock

Yep, they've got no liability insurance. You might want to hold off a few month/years on those reservations.

12. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

And a little Bird told me that "Rusty" was definately a Liability.;f ;f ;f

13. Carlitos

Carlitos

Though its a simple request compared to the suggestions above, I would like to see competitors volunteer to help paste targets and set steel between strings. Maybe not right when you are up, but just before & just after, or while you are waiting. It will help your turn come up faster if you help out, BTW.

I have shot GSSF in SC, VA, MD, PA and OH and at every State, there were signs posted asking competitors to help paste & set steel. In every State, competitor help was rare. Sure, there are those of you reading this that help out the volunteer ROs by pasting & setting steel. I help out too. But most shooter? Pasting is, frankly, rare.

For those reading this who don't bother helping out, think about it next time and pitch in. Regards,

D.C. Johnson
    www.shootersparadise.com
    Team Shooters Paradise GSSF

14. murph2127

murph2127

That is a pretty simple thing to ask, helping paste.

When I RO GSSF matches my lazy self usually asks for the plate racks, which is devoid of such issues. But RO's should not have to paste during a match. They do enough as it is.

Ted