close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

GSSF .40 bullet preferences

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by FESTUS, Jun 16, 2002.

Tags:
  1. FESTUS

FESTUS Horse Whisperer

OK..OK...OK...in the words of Joe Pesce I know this question has been asked and redundantly answered but let me ask it again a little more specifically...Shooting Amateur Civilian GSSF only...and ( not yet jumping to the 9mm...for TJC) shooting reloads in a .40 S&W what bullet weight would you recommend and what Manufacturer...I have been using Rainiers' now and in my second year...I have noticed weight deviations .....can anyone give me a reason to try another Manufacturer, and some specifics on the reasoning ;f

2. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

For stock I suggest 180-gr FMJ over 4.0-gr WST, Federal Primers. Berrys, Raniers, West Coast, Montand Gold are all fine. When you reach unlimited, then stick with Montana Gold, Remington and Sierra.

OAL of 1.135 inches.

3. TJC

TJC "No Compromise" Millennium Member

Festus,

I gotta love the 9MM, it worked.;)

That said, when I was shooting a lot of IPSC, all the way to Master Class, I was shooting Winchester 180's out of a Glock 22 (there was no 35 back then). You used to be able to buy them in large bulk packs through Midway USA.
    I would look at these bullets as they were always good shooters, very little deviation in bullet weight and when loaded with AA5 they hit the target. Well, you might have to give them a bit of help but they do work well.

Oh yea, Winchester brass with Federal primers complete the load. Sorry I can't remember right now what I used to use for a powder charge, but as I do remember it was a midrange load from the AA Manual.

4. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

FESTUS;
    I agree with all the inputs from DannyR and TJC but I do have a preferrence. In .40's I have shot 155's, 165's and 180's and after a short while I decided to stay with the 180's. Of course I reload my own. I feel the 180's are more accurate because of a couple factors: (1) I reload them very lite (slow moving freight train). (2) They have a longer bearing surface and therefore I feel they stabilize better and are more true to aim. I have also shot Winchester, Remington, Ranier, Berry, West Coast and Hornady. They all did pretty well but some stood out above the rest. Between Winchester and Remington 180grTC bullets I had better luck with Remington. The Hornady 180grHP were good but very pricey. Ranier and West Coast 180grFP did very good. Berry's I did not really care for because they showed me the most deviation in weight between bullets. Of all the .40's I have tested I use stricly West Coast 180grRNFP, loaded with 3.8gr WST, oal 1.135, Winchester or Remington Brass and Federal Primers. For the price, consistancy and accuracy I like them best.

This is strictly my opinion but my son-in-law (DEJ/FL) shoots the same load and it has treated him well.

Hope this helps.

5. DEJ/FL

DEJ/FL Millennium Member

Like "Don at PC" stated the 180 gr WestCoast behind the WST has worked for me!! Three "A" wins at GSSF events!!
    Dan:cool:

6. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

Well I might as well hit it one more time. If you're going to stick with the .40 you'll be happy with the Westcoast 180 or the Zero 180 FMJ over the 3.8 WST load. Smooth, accurate, and light recoil. You would really like the 9 though! ;f

7. FESTUS

FESTUS Horse Whisperer

Thanks Guys I'll stick with the 180's and try some West Coast after St.Paul;f

8. Don At PC

Hey Guys; is old FESTUS setting us up to kick our butts soon????;P ;P ;P ;f ;f ;f ;e ;e ;e Just joking FESTUS glad to help any time.;) ;) ;)

9. FESTUS

FESTUS Horse Whisperer

Don....I hope humbly one day I will be worthy to be in the same room with you all;f :cool: ;f

10. Don At PC

No problem with my room, I am still one of the so called" Master Class want to be's" but I wont mention who said that. I stay pretty well in "A" class but shoot U/L for the enjoyment and to learn. It takes a lot more work to learn new tricks at 60+ than it does for the younger ones but I don't think anyone has more fun. You going to get a chance to hit any matches closer south ( Lexington, Statesville, Anderson,Shreveport,Conyers, Jacksonville, Dallas or San Antonio)? Would like to say "Hi" in person. Remember what old Mike said about having a few glasses of "Aiming Fluid" the night before the match with good friends.;c ;c ;c ;c ;c

11. FESTUS

FESTUS Horse Whisperer

I was at Lexington last year and intend to this year... I game for the night before getting together and discussing other trainning tips;c ;c ;c ;f

12. Don At PC

Sounds great. Dan and I can get with you closer to the match and set our plans. We had a great time there last year which was our first time there. It was a tough trip for me because we traveled from the Florida Panhandle to Lexington had diner with a few friends all on Fri. shot first thing Sat. morning and traveled back to Florida Sat. night so I could work on Sunday since I didn't work on Friday. This year will be much more relaxed since I closed my business and am now completely retired we can travel Fri, shoot Sat. have diner with friends both Fri/Sat evening and travel home on Sunday after a good nights rest.

Dan and I have our e-mail addresses on our profiles, feel free to e-mail us any time.

13. Fireglock

It's about time! ;Q

14. Don At PC

Now Jerry;
    Have you let old ND out again?;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

15. Fireglock

Nah, he's still in the box. I was merely commenting on the appropriateness of you finally spending some time with your buds instead of cleaning ungrateful civil servants offices. ;Q

16. Don At PC

Boy Jerry; You sure said a mouthfull that time. I have really enjoyed not having to clean up after a bunch of glorified County barfbags that think their mothers work there and cleans up after them. Its sure great knowing now I can go to a match and take time to spend with good friends. Thats what its about. My blood pressure has even improved.;c ;c ;c ;c ;c