GSG-5 or S&W's M&P-15 22lr

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by bigjohnpackin, Feb 14, 2010.

1. bigjohnpackin

bigjohnpackin

So like many, I've always wanted an AR-15 and/or a H&K MP-5. On a day out at the local gun range and gun shop I stumbled (not literally lol) upon the GSG-5. I've been on youtube and saw many ppl saying that the GSG-5 misfires a lot depending on ammo. Disappointed I started watching my boi Nutnfancy and his S&W both review at the shot show in Vegas where I discovered the M&P-15 22lr. Now I'm torn between the two. The M&P looks more reliable and easier to accessorize. Son now to my fellow glockers, witch "clone" do u advise I add to my arsenal????:dunno:

2. SIERRA SIX

SIERRA SIX

Nutnfancy is the man!

As far as what I would pick...Honestly, the GSG-5. Its smaller, lighter, more portable. can probably fit in a pack. Plus, its got the novelty factor

3. kc lefty

kc lefty

Well I am a little bias here b/c I own a GSG 5 SD. Mine is great. Now a little backstory on that.

When I first bought it and started shooting it, it did have failures early. After about 500 rounds it has really smoothed out and basically no failures for the last 1000 rounds.

The gun like many other auto rims are tested and designed for CCI MM's. I never ran one MM through it. I only run federal bulk and it runs well now.

RUN THE GUN DRY, a little (meaning two drops) of oil goes forever. The techs at ATI told me as much.

I dont think you can go wrong with either. Plenty of mods for both.

Here is a hint, GET BOTH and shoot em.

4. Orange

Orange

Get the M&P.

It acts just like an AR15. By the way I have one.....I love it.:wavey:
    Practically anything you can add to an AR15 you can add to the M&P 15/22.
    The GsG is limited some what to what you can add to it. Sure you can add things just not much.
    It some times costs more when compared to the AR15's glut of stuff that is everywhere.
    Its very light weight.
    The barrel is a full weight barrel.
    The M&P will eat just about any ammo I put in it. Inexpensive Federal bulk packs from Wal-Mart to Remington golden bullet bulk packs (couldn't believe that one myself as that ammo is known to be very spotty in many .22's all over the internet.)

The GsG is a very thin diameter barrel with an aluminum fake/silencer cover.

Bolt holds open on the last shot. Slap the bolt release on a fresh mag and shoot...just like an AR. The hammer and trigger are real AR parts. Many owners have replaced the stock hammer and trigger for high end stuff.

The front site and the rear site are also AR parts.

If you want to practice with .22 ammo without having to buy an overpriced/expensive upper for your AR15, get the Smith and Wesson M&P 15/22.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
  5. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

I've got the GSG-5 rifle and pistol and the S&W M&P 15-2.

If I had to get rid of one it would be the GSG-5.

The Smith handles just like the AR. I've used it to train a couple people on the AR. After running some magazines through the Smith they were completely at home with the AR when they picked it up.

My Smith had paid for itself in just a couple months in .223 ammo savings.

The Smith also has a lot of rails to hang junk on the gun if you want to.

[​IMG]

The SIG 522 is also a good choice but is lacking in rail space and SIG cheap-ed out by not supplying iron sights with the gun.
    [​IMG]

6. GlockPride

GlockPride Glock 23

I have the GSG carbine, which has been fun but not without troubles, and searching for the new M&P with threaded barrel. And also the money to buy it with. :(

7. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

I have not shot either. I was impressed with the S&W .22 AR I held in the gun store. Have you looked into Ruger's new SR22? Based on the 10/22 action which is very reliable.

8. jboost

jboost

bigjohn jump back on youtube and watch the nutnfancy review on the sig 522. It pretty much sold me looks fun and supppper reliable.

9. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

As far as reliability I say the SIG has the edge.
    A couple weeks ago my friends and his kids ran about a thousand rounds through my 522. Much of the shooting was rapid fire at clay pigeons and cans. 2-3 people were steady loading magazines. They were having a ball.:supergrin:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

A couple times the gun jammed with Remington bulk pack. I told them the gun doesn't like Remington but Federal works fine.

When I cleaned the gun it was super dirty and bone dry of lube. If ever there was an excuse for a gun to malfunction that was it but except for the Remington ammo the gun just kept blasting.:supergrin:

10. KalashniKEV

KalashniKEV

My recommendation is to stay away from the new "toy" .22s and get a Spike's. The same goes for pistols... get something serious and your kids that enjoy it today will pass it down to their kids.

These new Zinc and Plastic license built .22s will be chopped up and in the recycling bin in a few years of use.

11. briansp82593

briansp82593

Definitely not.

12. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

"toy 22s"?

What "real guns" do you suggest?

13. KalashniKEV

KalashniKEV

Why I'm glad you asked!

Assuming that everyone owns an AR (yes, I'm making that assumption) you can buy a Spike's .22 upper for $559 and have something serious, or you can spend $442 on the M&P .22.

For the extra ~$100, the Spike's is constructed of all real components and won't be fit for the junkpile in <10 years. They're also a good bit more reliable w/ all types of ammo from range reports.

Another solid option is the Ruger 10/22 (Yes, we all know this). No, it doesn't make folks all horny because it's been around a while and you have to start hanging aftermarket junk off of it before you can feel all pimpy and impress your friends. It's very tough to beat in terms of accuracy, reliability, and durability (what else is there?). Current price is at $209.

Ask me about .22 pistols next! ;)

14. SunsetMan

SunsetMan Deplorable Lifetime Member

I bought a GSG-5 a little more than a year ago when it was the only military looking .22 out there. The GSG-5 seems to be cheaply made using potmetal and I do not like the way it takes down. Are the M&P-15 and Sig better made and designed?

15. Faulkner

Faulkner Patriot Millennium Member

Your assumption would be inaccurate. I use as evidence that there is a lot of traffic about the M&P 15-22 on the S&W forums and a very high percentage (dare I suggest most) of the owners don't seem to own AR's.

I freely admit I no nothing about the Spike's upper, but I would doubt it is more reliable than my 15-22 which has run flawlessly with all sorts of .22 fodder.

I have all three, GSG-5, 15-22, and 10-22. I agree that the GSG-5 is somewhat toyish, but again, mine has been plenty accurate and operates trouble free. On the other hand, I do not find the 15-22 the least bit toyish. Is it lighter than a standard AR, why yes. It's a purpose built rimfire with a polymer lower so it don't need all the bulk of a AR shooting centerfire ammo. Otherwise, I find mine to be very accurate and reliable and we'll have to see how they work out in the long run.

As for the 10-22, I agree it is a very solid choice. Mine is over 25 years old, has had a zillion rounds through it and works as well as it did the day I bought it. You can modify, accessorize, or dress it up just about any way you want.

[​IMG]

16. GlockPride

GlockPride Glock 23

I have the 10/22 and the GSG. Still really wanting to acquire the 15-22. Had the threaded barrel/flashider in my hands yesterday, but could not pull the trigger. So much for me being off work for five months last year and the wife for six weeks.
    I have more supplies and cash to put back but maybe one day...

17. Glocks&Ducs

Glocks&Ducs

I have both. Both have proven to be extremely reliable, even with ammo that I am having problems with in other firearms. Between the two, I would be most likely to purchase the M&P15-22 again. The main reason is that I am more familiar with the AR platform, but the sights are also better on the 15-22 and the magazines are much cheaper too.

18. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

I agree the GSG is a pain to take down and clean. (and I hate to clean guns)
    The M&P takes down exactly like the AR but is a LOT EASIER to clean.

The SIG is also a snap to take down and clean.

It looks like someone put a lot of thought in both guns.

19. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

I know nothing about a Spikes upper. Although I have several 22 conversion kits the 22 AR upper doesn't interest me,
    but how many years have you had it and how many rounds do you think you have put through it?

20. bcmclane

bcmclane

Come on man, are you serious?! Modern polymers have come a long way and will no doubt surpass steel in the near future in regards to strength. Based on your statement of poly .22's heading to the junkyard in 10 years, how do you explain guns such as Glocks, that endure MUCH more stress than any .22 rifle lasting? I've owned the MP .22, several 10/22's, and a Spikes upper mounted on a TTI lower. The Spikes is no better than the MP. My new favorite is an OD Sig 522 with an Eotech 512 and YHM Mite. It is by far superior to any of the previously mentioned .22's IMNSHO. I've shot a GSG, but do not own one. The 522 blows that away as well.

OP: Check into the 522, it's quite nice.