Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have put a deposit down a beautiful female GS puppy. She will not be ready to come to her new home for a few more weeks.

My question is as follows: Can/do GSDs coexist with cats? My wife and I have a few cats and she is concerned that the GSD will eat the cats. Does she have a valid concern or is she worried over nothing?

·
Registered
977 Posts
She is worried over nothing. :) The fact that you are getting a puppy eliminates the possibility of disaster because the dog will be raised with the cat. Let them be together all the time at this age and they'll likely be best buds when the dog grows up. Do keep in mind that dogs know their own cats like they do their own people. I have a newish (last couple years) neighbor (house is for sale now) who moved in with two indoor/outdoor cats. Multiple times her cats were climbing over my backyard fence and exploring, and I'd not realize this and let my dogs out. All hell broke loose more than once with cats scrambing and dogs just about flying over the fence after them. The cats learned, fast, and I politely explained to her that although my dogs are ok with my cats - if they catch hers in my yard, I can't guarantee they'll make it out.

Different issue when introducing a high prey drive adult GSD (or really, any breed) with cats.

*Owner of 3 GSD's and 3 cats, who co-exist, whether happily or not. ;) One dog and one particular cat are very bonded, the others have learned to live with eachother. They are not given an option.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I agree with Platz, wholeheartedly. Our female GSD 'Brandy' was raised with our female Russian Blue 'Smokie' and they were the best of friends, once Brandy understood Smokie was in charge. They cared for each other to the extent that whenever either one came home from a vet trip that involved sedation the other one went into maternal mode. The 'sicky' would be cleaned from head to toe and allowed to sleep the meds off while the care giver stood watch. You had to witness to believe eight pounds of cat on stag over a snoring 100 pounds of GSD. It was a truly amazing relationship and one I still marvel over.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I have put a deposit down a beautiful female GS puppy. She will not be ready to come to her new home for a few more weeks.

My question is as follows: Can/do GSDs coexist with cats? My wife and I have a few cats and she is concerned that the GSD will eat the cats. Does she have a valid concern or is she worried over nothing?

I have a male cat that has been here for a lot longer than my GSDs have been.... he wants nothing to do with the 2 GSDs I have now. They might chase him around the house, but they really just like to see him run, if he stays where he is at and hisses, they loose interest.... :rofl:

·
Me fail English? That's unpossible
3,703 Posts
We have two full blooded GSD's and two GSD mixes. We have a cat as well and they all seem to get along together. We oversee the interaction when possible. Mainly they get along together, or at least tolerate one another.

·
:):
10,896 Posts
Your new pup should look at you kitties as just another part of his new family. I had a GSD as a kid. We also had 2 persian kittens that grew up with him and those two could get away with anything. They used him for a scratching post and a jungle gym, his tail was thier own personal chase toy and when they got tired he was thier bed. He also protected them as fiercely as he did any of us. Several dogs in the nieghborhood learned not to chase our cats around!

Unfortunately they were the only cats he would tolerate. He was death on any others that came into his yard.

·
Registered
322 Posts
We have 4 dogs (3 gsd, 1 pbt) and 6 cats. Zero problems, in fact my youngest shepherd, Ruger, has adopted this 10 week old kitten. The kitten lets Ruger clean (taste??) her and they sleep together, they are best buds.

Teach your puppy the " no kitty" command early and you will be fine.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Yes, they get along fine with cats. We have a GSD and two cats (three if you count the stray we've taken in who had kittens), and our dog gets along just fine with the cats.

Sometimes when they walk by each other Nikki our GSD will bump or poke one of them with her nose, kid of like a brother poking his sister as he walks by! LOL.

Nothing dangerous, no growling, snarling, hissing, etc.

Nikki even kept her distance from the stray cat that we were feeding because she was pregnant. The cat would actually walk within a few feet of her as she walked through the back yard.

·
Unreconstructed
10,067 Posts
Another affirmative.

GSDs, when raised as pups, get along just fine with cats. If anything, my cats beat up on my GSD if they feel their space is invaded.

For an adult dog / rescue dog, it's just going to depend on the dog and what their previous socialization -if any- has been. This would be true, however, of any breed, not just GSD.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts