close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Grub Loading Please Wait.....error 17 (Linux)

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Tanman, Jan 16, 2006.

1. Tanman

Tanman

I will start out by saying I know nothing about Linux, I picked up a DVD (Suse 10.0) from a magizine at Barnes and Noble. I have installed it on one old windows machine fine but when I went to my home computer it gets all the way through the install and when it reboots I get the error message in the title. From what I did read it is something to do with the BIOS but I have no idea what it is in the BIOS. Any help would be great. Any help would be great, thanks.

2. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

It may need you to enter(type) a "cheat code" when booting the DVD.It sounds like your BIOS is set alright if you getting the grub message.Let me see whet I can find about Suse.What hardware do you have?What sort of PC is it exactly?

3. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

Okay I think I found it.in Windows play the DVD,search the DVD for a file called "boot.iso"(it's 65MB) burn it to a CD as an "image" not a normal data CD.Then boot your PC to the boot iso CD.It should give you a choice to install from internet or CD/DVD.There is also a 65MB called "root.iso" I think.I don't think that's it.If you can't find the boot.iso on the DVD you can download it from here,

http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/SL-10.0-OSS/inst-source/boot/boot.iso

4. Tanman

Tanman

I know it is a Soyo board (about 3 years old, I'll get exact when I get home.) AMD (non-64 bit) CPU, a 20 gb and a 250 gb HD. I load the OS onto the hard drive and then it restarts and gives me the error. I get specifics when I get home.

5. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

Oh there was a certain Soyo board I think used to have problems with Linux.I think it was only one board but I think it was a popular one.May still be able to sort it out.

6. Tanman

Tanman

Figures, I'm sure it will be mine.

7. aspartz

aspartz

Have you changed or removed any drives (including CD) after the install? The boot loader is apparently loading, but is failing trying to load stage 2 (or 1.5). I've had this happened when linux got confused about what hda1, hda2 and so forth really are. The boot sector is hard coded to look on a specific drive and it you move it, bad things can happen.

Boot the DVD again and use the rescue function to see if the install is really intact. In RedHat/Fedora you type "linux rescue" at the boot prompt. Once it finds the linux install you can usually reinstall grub and make things happy again.

ARS

8. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

Oh I read your post wrong.You have it installed just a problem booting the system.I thought it was the DVD not booting.I had this happen after a recent update.

9. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

Make sure you didn't install the boot loader on the second hard drive or on the root partition.The boot loader must be installed on the master boot record MBR of the master hard drive.

10. Tanman

Tanman

For now I disconnected the other drives so that only the main HD is hooked up to the IDE and I am getting the same error.

I also went into the Rescue and everything is green and it asks for a login and password.