close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

grouse season starts in the morning

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by rfb45colt, Sep 12, 2003.

1. rfb45colt

rfb45colt safe-cracker

Yippee! One of the days I wait for all year, is finally here. :) Tomorrow morning, the ruffed grouse season starts here in WI. We're on the bottom of the population cycle, but I love to hunt, so I'll be out in the woods at sunrise regardless of the predictions of a "so-so" season. I've got a good dog, and on our walks through the woods lately, we've found plenty of birds in certain spots. I'll be using my new Remington 1100 for the first time.

And for the first time, doves will also be legal game here. In my neck of the woods (just that, all dense wooded terrain), traditional methods of dove hunting don't work. There's doves around, but there's no definitive flyways near agricultural fields to hunt by (because there are almost NO agricultural fields, just trees). But in past years, I've encountered a few flocks of doves near open meadows in the national forest, so I'll be ready for them tomorrow.

Archery deer season opens tomorrow as well, but I rarely bow hunt before late October. Not enough free time to hunt birds and bow-hunt for deer too, and bird hunting comes first. In a few weeks, pursuing ducks and geese will take up most of my free time, but until then, it's grouse hunting exclusively for me. Happy days are here again...;f

2. vaulter

vaulter

I went out grouse hunting for the first time in about 12 years. I flushed 4 grouse had 2 shots and had 2 grouse in my pack within the first hour. I've got the bug again and have something fun to hunt 'til deer season rolls around. I used my Harrington & Richardson single shot .410 2 1/2". I have a couple nice 12 guages but the .410 just seems to be the perfect grouse gun......really nice and light.

3. waterwolves

waterwolves

Been out ever weekend seen opening, bumping more woodies than grouse though. Can't wait til' pheasants open though... Just getting the dog warmed up for now.

4. Gunlawyer

Gunlawyer

Man, I miss hunting grouse and woodcock! The zillions of deer down here help me deal with the longing, but there is nothing like crisp, clear Northern U.S. Fall air, beautiful woods and orchards filled with thundering grouse and twittering woodcock. You guys are lucky! This ex-Vemonter is jealous!