GlockTalk Forum banner

61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
2.5 carriers isn't going to be much of a challenge to 43 carriers.
China:

a) Thinks in the long run.. gotta start somewhere to train a deep blue see navy. So they start now. Countries near China have no real navy (even India's is no where near as large.) And China now contest who owns the seas near their border. That can start wars.
b) With over a billion people to feed (and being communist) have a very fragile system that can fail. And if it fails there will be MUCH internal trouble. Thus need for external distractions. That can start wars.
c) China just made their leader, Xi, in 2018, abolished 'term limits' thus he is de-facto RULER FOR LIFE. I.E. dictator. Dictators can start wars easily.
d) China is an enemy of India (also over a billion people) and have constant small border wars... these wars can escalate (and the USA is allied with India.) Another way a war can start.
e) China has massive environmental problems. If it gets out of hand... wars can start.
f) China needs more exports lease there become massive unemployment. Due to China's one child policy they now have millions of more males than females. This can disrupt the social fabric.... and wars start that way to.

These and more reasons can bring about an unexpected war. Like most wars the leaders 'think' they can win. Sometimes they do, but most times they really don't.

Reactions: Inyo Tim

·
Anti-Federalist
18,947 Posts
China:

a) Thinks in the long run.. gotta start somewhere to train a deep blue see navy. So they start now. Countries near China have no real navy (even India's is no where near as large.) And China now contest who owns the seas near their border. That can start wars.
b) With over a billion people to feed (and being communist) have a very fragile system that can fail. And if it fails there will be MUCH internal trouble. Thus need for external distractions. That can start wars.
c) China just made their leader, Xi, in 2018, abolished 'term limits' thus he is de-facto RULER FOR LIFE. I.E. dictator. Dictators can start wars easily.
d) China is an enemy of India (also over a billion people) and have constant small border wars... these wars can escalate (and the USA is allied with India.) Another way a war can start.
e) China has massive environmental problems. If it gets out of hand... wars can start.
f) China needs more exports lease there become massive unemployment. Due to China's one child policy they now have millions of more males than females. This can disrupt the social fabric.... and wars start that way to.

These and more reasons can bring about an unexpected war. Like most wars the leaders 'think' they can win. Sometimes they do, but most times they really don't.

China has no competent Navy that can even begin to approach ours. Your statement was dismissed out of hand because it truly has no merit.

They have aspirations of 4 carriers.

Color me unimpressed with your assessment.

Oh and the one child policy is no longer a thing.

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
China has no competent Navy that can even begin to approach ours. Your statement was dismissed out of hand because it truly has no merit.

They have aspirations of 4 carriers.

Color me unimpressed with your assessment.
a) Naval wars are not all fought with carriers. There are other ways to fight such wars.

b) We have Biden (in all likelihood.)

c) You also think countries behave rationally at all times.

I did not say they would win, only we may very well have a war with them (just as we did in Korea.)

Reactions: larry_minn

·
Anti-Federalist
18,947 Posts
a) Naval wars are not all fought with carriers. There are other ways to fight such wars.

b) We have Biden (in all likelihood.)

c) You also think countries behave rationally at all times.

I did not say they would win, only we may very well have a war with them (just as we did in Korea.)
I don't think you have as good of a grasp on the topic that you are debating as you think you do..

For instance the one child policy was relaxed nearly seven years ago, and you clearly had no idea of their Naval capability.

Are they an economic threat? Sure. To an extent.

All I'm saying is you may want to preface your debate on reality and current events.

·
NRA Life Member
64,095 Posts
What do aircraft carriers have to do with the APFT/ACFT being unfair to females.

Maybe somebody can link aircraft carriers to how many pushups Soldiers in the ARMY can do??

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
Suspect enemy troops of whatever political or religious beliefs look forward to capturing American troops who have the physical characteristics of women.

Reactions: Inyo Tim

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Standards have been lowered in many fields to allow women to compete with men . At one time a 5-10 " was a requirement for a firemen . Just a safety issue out the window.

·
On the day of your birth death began stalking you
9,477 Posts
Women like to say they can do anything a man can do....so, do it. Plus it wasn't that long ago women were so proud of women "completing" ranger school. Plus now they wanna go to SF units? Do the test and make it or don't and go home. How bad you wanna be in the Army?

·
Premium Member
25,277 Posts
China will attack America. It’s like the fox and the scorpion. We have a dozen carriers? I WAS NEVER IN THE MILITARY. Much less Navy. Used to read some stuff, had some relatives in Navy...
How many are out of port? At one time? 8?
There are anti ship missiles that could really mess up a carrier if launched at less then 5 miles. When a carrier is in port, going thru a choke point. (Currently their weapons I'm sure are very tightly held) in the seconds to respond. The person in charge won’t have time to release close in defensive weapons. (Every round could injure others in port)
Submerged torpedo “mines” are very hard to detect.(my understanding) They can be passive, recognize the signature of the screws. So Basically impossible to detect. Cost is little compared to cost of a single Fighter jet.
So it’s reasonable they could get 4 carriers before we realized there was a danger. Maybe more.
Then there is the idea of massive swarm of anti-ship missiles. As good as close defense Systems are. A few hundred cheap missiles, with a few dozen really advanced anti ship missiles mixed in... its possible we might lose a few more.
Never mind sabotage, other issues.

I suspect China will preposition a few thousand troops. They control enough ports.

·
Registered
31,019 Posts
Women like to say they can do anything a man can do....so, do it. Plus it wasn't that long ago women were so proud of women "completing" ranger school. Plus now they wanna go to SF units? Do the test and make it or don't and go home. How bad you wanna be in the Army?
The higher end units will likely only have women in the officer ranks. They will pass through to desk jobs fast. Its what officers do. The enlisted will overwhelmingly be male because they have to do it for 20+ years.

Like I said I probably could have made the cut at 18, not at 28. I would have to think of a Plan B pretty quick.

·
First throwing ax bullseye.
2,393 Posts
Same thing happened in police and fire departments.
I can verify this at least in my department. When I joined in 1981 the physical agility test consisted of a hose drag, lifting a smoke ejector and hanging it from a hanger. Doing a make-and-break (basically assembling some hoses and fittings that were laid out) and a couple other things. All something you would encounter on a fireground. A couple years later the test was changed. It had been challenged, by someone that failed it, and it was decided that there were no 'realistic fireground activities in it?? The test was revamped and there was very little stuff in it anymore that you might actually encounter at a fire. Near the end of my service agility tests had changed so much that you wouldn't even know that they were fire related.

61 - 75 of 75 Posts