gross dove...

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by gunnin_em_down, Jan 2, 2005.

1. gunnin_em_down

gunnin_em_down

i went dove hunting the first time this season. i cooked the tried and true way. i wrapped them in bacon and grilled them. only one problem, it tasted terrible! it tasted almost exactly like liver. is that just how they all taste, or did i clean them/cook them wrong. help me out here.

josh

2. joker1

joker1

I always thought they tasted like liver too. That's why I hunt pheasant.

3. Mild Bill

Mild Bill Millennium Member

Supposedly over cooking makes them taste like that, I dunno...
    I heard that recently...

;c

4. noway

noway

Throw some garlic, onion and salt and pepper on them. I think they taste better baked personally.

5. PDogSniper

PDogSniper

I've eat Woodcock and got the same thing. Not a bad thing for me as I like liver anyways but I did find it strange that with Woodcocks, white and dark meat is reverse from what you would expect of a chicken...;Q

6. gunnin_em_down

gunnin_em_down

ok, so at least i'm not crazy. how long do you cook them. is there an easy way to tell when they're done. i love hunting them, and it would be a shame to make my step dad eat them all.

7. Riverweasel

Riverweasel

I had to go across the state of Michigan to get my dove. I eat what I hunt so I was going to eat these no matter what.

The recipe I saw was:

1. Marinate in Italian dressing for 24hrs. (I think you missed this)
    2. Wrap in bacon.
    3. Cook on grill till done. (don't overcook)

Not much of a recipe but when I did mine they came out great.
    Must be in the marinade.

I shared mine with a friend & his dad, they thought it was great also.

8. noway

noway

I chill mine in a warter+vinegar solution to draw the blood out and skip the marinade. Italian dressing can "over do" the taste. here's what I do;

>take one dove breast ( just in case readers are listening this is the only thing worth eating and you need about 5-8 breats to make a real meal )

>roll the breast in a mixture of fine salt/pepper/garlic-salt

> wrap breast in prosciutto ham then bacon that has more fat than meat, make sure to insert a small wedge or garlic and jalapeno (optional) inside of this

> pin the breat with a sml tooth pick

> heat oven to 325-350 degrees and cook for 30-40 minutes till done

They make great appetizers and such. You can also grill them on kaboob skewers and alternate the dove with meats of marinade pork and chicken and bell peppers.

Bon Appetie.

9. gunnin_em_down

gunnin_em_down

i did marinate them in italian dressing, but only for about 5 hours. for the other recipe, do you leave the meat attached to the breast bone or fillet them? i also have to freeze them. so do i put them in the water/vinegar before or after i freeze them. and how long to i leave them in the water/vinegar?

10. Riverweasel

Riverweasel

noway, that sounds delicious.
    I'm going to try that next time

thanks

11. noway

noway

{i did marinate them in italian dressing, but only for about 5 hours. for the other recipe, do you leave the meat attached to the breast bone or fillet them? i also have to freeze them. so do i put them in the water/vinegar before or after i freeze them. and how long to i leave them in the water/vinegar?}

normally if I get a good day of dove shooting ( over 4 ), the breats are water/vinegar chilled for at least 24-48 hrs immediately when I get home.

I fillet the meat right off the bone. I never freeze it, but it shouldn't be a problem if you do.

using the ham and bacon offset the gamey flavor and gives it some kind of south western flavor. If you bake or grill it, you get this crunching meat with bacon/ham on it. Try it, you will love it.

If I do store them, I end up making a dove stew and complientment it with ground chuck. But that requires upwards to about 50 birds or more.