Grocery Store Pet Peeve

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by GeorgiaGlocker, Sep 30, 2020.

1. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

I got no problem bagging my stuff. I unload the cart in a way where frozen stuff, meats and such stay together, likewise with canned goods, bread and produce.

Gives me a chance to chat with the lady running the register. The place I go is still old fashioned and most of the staff are nice and after 30 plus years they know me.

2. Colt M-4

Colt M-4 AK-74 Silver Member

It was fun when a young gal came in and you said want these Nuts in a sack mame. as you grabbed a bag of cashews or almonds.

And they walked away giggling. It took them a minute to catch on.. 2150123731_d6824ac460.jpg

Jack Ryan likes this.

3. DrewBone

DrewBone

I also place perishable/frozen items first and like items together after that on the conveyer belt; the cashier has an easier time of loading these items in their approriate bags (blue for perishables at my local Food Lion, white for everything else) and not mix up my cold cuts with laundry pods. As mentioned the cashiers do the bagging and they tend to have a nicer attitude when they get help from the customers :)

FullClip likes this.
  4. mmcbeat

mmcbeat

The Kroger I go to seems to have about one sacker for every three checkers. If I don’t get a sacker and the checker is nice, I sack my own groceries, if not I let the checker bag everything and put it in the cart. Everyone there is usually pretty nice and helpful. I am giving them a lot of slack during this chicom virus thing. I would not want to be working in a grocery store right now.

Inyo Tim and rotorhead1026 like this.
  5. e150gt

e150gt

I was once a bagger. If I remember we had one bagger every two registers or so. We would bounce back and forth.

6. G30SF/F-250

G30SF/F-250 Pinky Out Platinum Member

PA to LA to NY to FL to IL to VA to GA to OH to FL
    I can’t wait until I have absolutely nothing else going on in my life that something as trivial as having to be bothered to bag my own groceries ruins my day and causes me to come to the interweb and vent my frustrations of how my rights were infringed.

But for now, I had a very busy day at work, took time to make some parts for a chick at work to help keep her new puppy from digging out of the fence, came home and cooked, cleaned, and relaxed with a beer.

Life is great and not much really bothers me. :cheers:

7. jhc37013

jhc37013

Now days it's not just the young kids, I often see middle aged cashier managers standing around talking to the young kid employee about the awful neighbor or whatever it is they stand around and talk about while ignoring customers.

Often when I walk up to Walmart customer service I feel like I'm breaking up their little party and it gets a little uncomfortable for a moment as they briefly just glare at me. They have 5 workers behind the customer service registers and one customer needing help while at the same time they have only two checkout lanes/registers open and lines to the back of the store.

Oh well bigger issues now days but I really don't like when two or three employees are standing around BS'ing while the grandma working the register is also trying to pack all my groceries and of course I stop her and do it myself, bless her.

8. napp32

napp32

You would really enjoy shopping in Germany. Not only do they not have baggers....they don't even have bags. You are expected to bring your own containers for whatever you purchase.

cougar_ml likes this.
  9. rotorhead1026

rotorhead1026

Here too, except they’re usually teenagers. The kids bust their butts. It’s good to see.

10. rotorhead1026

rotorhead1026

Remember when Wal-Marts were well-run? It’s been awhile.

railfancwb likes this.
  11. as400guy1

as400guy1

Around here, it's usually one bagger per two lanes.

12. RetailNinjitsu

RetailNinjitsu

lol listen guy you’re living a life of luxury. Plastic grocery bags are actually illegal in NYS and most stores don’t provide paper either. I’ve had to bring my own bags and bag my own for quite a while now.

also, wtf is a “buggy”?

13. Simi_gun_guy

Simi_gun_guy

It could’ve been worse. I’ve worked with Brits, they call anything with 4 wheels that’s not a vehicle a trolley.

:duel:

Ed

RetailNinjitsu likes this.
  14. shadow_dog

shadow_dog Hilljack

We usually go thru the self checkouts. If we do go thru the "regular" checkout line I prefer to bag our stuff. Like posted earlier I can't stand it when the baggers mix up non-like items. Nothing like detergents in with vegetables or can goods laying on bread.

15. SleeperSS

SleeperSS

Have you tried...Excuse me....works every time.

Boundertom and Jack Ryan like this.
  16. pittpa

pittpa What did I come in here for?

Fortress of Solitude on 11th floor - SW PA 'burbs
    First time I heard "paper or plastic" at the checkout, I was visiting Cali and thought they wanted to know cash or credit.

RetailNinjitsu and FullClip like this.
  17. rangerhgm

rangerhgm NRA Member

No bagger at my lane, I just bag my own.....no big deal.

GlockPolock, LV3 and FullClip like this.
  18. oldmick

oldmick

I reserve the term “lazy” for the kids who don’t work at all. Baggers in grocery stores are taking the first step in their work life. Learn to show up on time, do what you are told.

Once you master that, move on to jobs where you start to make larger decisions and your employer begins to depend on you.

I suspect baggers just go where they are told.

19. oldmick

oldmick

I reserve the term “lazy” for the kids who don’t work at all. Baggers in grocery stores are taking the first step in their work life. Learn to show up on time, do what you are told.

Once you master that, move on to jobs where you start to make larger decisions and your employer begins to depend on you.

I suspect baggers just go where they are told.

20. Budqweiser

Budqweiser

I guy I know from WV called them buggies. He also called a stocking cap a toboggan.