Griz Euthanized in Shelby, MT Area

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by LinuxLover, Jun 23, 2020.

1. LinuxLover

LinuxLover Ba-nan-nah-nuh

[​IMG]
    Grizzly bear euthanized west of Shelby

Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks captured and euthanized a subadult male grizzly bear about five miles west of Shelby on June 19. The bear had been involved in multiple conflicts between Ethridge and Ledger this spring, and attempts to prevent incidents were unsuccessful. In consultation with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, the decision was made not to relocate the bear because its undesirable behavior appeared engrained and posed a human safety risk.

The young male bear was conditioned to non-natural foods and habituated to the presence of people, meaning it had lost its fear of humans. The bear had obtained food rewards, such as spilled grain, livestock carrion, and BBQ grills near homes, which led the bear to seek out residences for more food. Further, the bear had grown accustomed to people and had looked into two home windows and approached a person on a porch

2. Tvov

Tvov

It is a shame when it comes to that. In Connecticut, we try very hard to teach people to NOT feed the black bears, but far too many people think it is "cute" to have black bears playing in their yard.

Also, when I first saw the thread title, I thought it said "GIRL euthanized...." and I was like "WHAT???"....

rotorhead1026 and B C like this.

3. HalfHazzard

HalfHazzard Señor Member

Don't feed the animals.

Doc Holliday likes this.
  4. sourdough44

sourdough44

CA averages 98 mountain lions killed each year on ‘depredation permits’. With that number they could have a controlled & targeted legal hunting season($$). I realize that won’t happen though.

In States that allow hunts with a lower population density the units & numbers are keenly controlled. One may have to call in each evening to check if a unit closed. The ‘harvest’ is controlled by sex(M/F) and numbers. By having a hunt the species is more likely to want to avoid human activity. BC044901-6531-442E-AA6A-5A354E328EE5.png

5. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday CLM

Thank a no-makeup Liberal Hippy Chick for feeding the bears and 'caring for all of Nature's animals'...SHE got it killed.

Griz gonna griz...let it do it's thing, it's been doing fine without us for a million+ years. Stupid to think we need to somehow 'help it' survive.

rotorhead1026 likes this.