Griz Attack, Kills Calf In Expanding Territory

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by LinuxLover, Oct 13, 2018.

1. LinuxLover

LinuxLover Ba-nan-nah-nuh

Per FOI Act, this is a C/P from MTPR:

“Our grizzly bear populations in the Northern Continental Divide and Greater Yellowstone ecosystems have fully recovered and exceeded the targets set for removal from the Endangered Species list, and as those populations expand, they’re moving out in all directions,”
    said Lemon. “That means there are areas in Montana that bears are now living where they haven’t lived for decades, or even a century or more. The grizzly bear that killed a calf near Two Dot is a good example.”

Lemon said more Montanans are going to have to learn how to live in grizzly bear country.

“Hunters should be prepared to encounter grizzly bears,” he said. “Carry bear spray and be prepared to use it, preferably hunt with a partner, let people know where you’re going, and when you’re out hunting keep an eye out for grizzly bear sign and if you see it, try to avoid those areas.”

Lemon said FWP wants to know when conflicts with grizzly bears occur anywhere in the state.

“For hunters, if they’ve shot an animal and the bear has taken over the animal, we want to know about that,” he said. “If there’s an interaction with the bear, if the bear charges and somebody has to deploy bear spray, we want to know about that, but if people just see bears, we’d just like to know where they’re moving.”

Grizzly bears are still listed as threatened under the Endangered Species Act. As such, killing or harming grizzly bears is illegal except by agency personnel for certain conflict or human-safety situations. However, individuals may legally take a grizzly bear in an act of self-defense or defense of another human if there is an immediate danger of being attacked.’

Me here: about this Bear Spray vs Firepower Debate in Montana.........

I think someone who works in a nice cushy office in Helena has a brother-in-law with a bear spray manufacturing company. Just my opinion. ;p

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
  2. birda40

birda40 Woody

Grizzly Bear Spray ? Spices for the every day bear.... Spray on arm or leg and enjoy meal.... ;-)

3. gatorboy

gatorboy ( . Y . )

We’re the problem.

brtarr, BigBull 301 and glock1097 like this.
  4. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

5. G26-Has-my-6

G26-Has-my-6

Hunters should be prepared to encounter grizzly bears,” he said.Carry bear spray and be prepared to use it, preferably hunt with a partner, let people know where you’re going, and when you’re out hunting keep an eye out for grizzly bear sign and if you see it, try to avoid those areas.”

Just carry bear spray? Ummm, ok, but I wouldn't go in bear country armed with only spray. Spray + 10mm, or spray + 10mm + long gun. But not just bear spray. That's just stupid and irresponsible advice.

NoStress likes this.
  6. LinuxLover

I begin to believe that Grizs aren't that much of a problem. Don't get me wrong...... they are very lethal, but I think the Blacks are moreso since there's more of them and they really like to dine on long pig (humans).

What does a Griz really want?

Besides the occasional SURPRIZE ----You're dead! attacks we hear about... they are motivated to render an intruder dead to remove it's perceived threat.

'Playing dead' seems to have worked numerous times although severe body damage is usually incurred by the human who meets them in the bear's own hood. Youll get a whoopin' but many times survive with lots of sutures and plastic surgery.... maybe.

OTOH....... a Black seriously and consciously will attack you for your protein value.

Browns..... I haven't a clue as to their occupied rung on the food chain ladder yet. I'm sure eventually I'll form an opinion, but so far all I've got is anecdotal non-evidence that varies from Cuddly Teddy-type Bears to Godzilla in Fur.

For my part, I'd rather not see a bear in a teddy.

7. NoStress

NoStress

Having spray on you is good if you have time to use it instead of a firearm. Before a charge. In some situations one might so I carry it. I do always carry a rifle or shotgun in bear country. Most likely there will only be time to use one or the other. They can cover 50 yds in three seconds. For those of you using a pistol as a primary weapon it is ok if you don't practice shooting at distance.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
    HOTHEAD likes this.
  8. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

love that youtube vid where the blackbear runs up a tree to sniff a hunter in a stand. Awesome close up! LOL The guy almost wet his pants

View: https://youtu.be/8jRTrRxamxQ

Dave514 likes this.
  9. Glock Commando

Glock Commando

Tastes like Montreal Steak Seasoning -- YUMMMMM!

10. Quijibo

Quijibo King Doofus.

You can tell you're in black bear country because their feces has berry seeds and maybe small animal fur. In grizzly country, their feces has small bells and the remains of pepper spray cans.

Glock Commando likes this.
  11. Lazy R

Lazy R

Had a close call with one on Friday. Lucky my hunting buddy saved me.

[​IMG]

sourdough44 likes this.
  12. sourdough44

sourdough44

598371B8-0EBA-41CB-A747-BAD8B3003C5B.jpeg I’d take my Ruger Redhawk in 45 Colt, maybe some spray too.

13. Smoke Jenson

Smoke Jenson

Ok, guys I'd like to wake this thread back up with this...

First, Full disclosure: I'm looking for an "excuse" (like I really need one, lol!) to buy a Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44 mag.

I don't currently live in grizzly country (although that is up for debate and a topic for another discussion), but let's pretend I do. Along with bear spray, I will indeed be carrying a large caliber gun of some sort. Tim Sundles says that a .44 mag is not enough gun for grizz, see: http://buffalobore.net/Trail&CampGuns.pdf. And he should know!

I say, first of all, I want to carry a handgun instead of, or in addition to, a long gun because what if I find myself being chomped on while I'm in my sleeping bag or some other very close proximity...

With the invent of over 300 grain +P+ ammo, wouldn't I be ok? Keep in mind, this is a defensive situation, not hunting. Also, If I get to acquire the aforementioned handgun, it paves the way for me to then get the Henry Big Boy in the same caliber that I've also always wanted.

What do you think? Go ahead, poke holes in my plan, I'm ready!

14. LinuxLover

I personally like your plan. Who are you trying to fool though? The wife?

I'd go along with you, but I'd go for the Glock 20.4 - which I have - and add a 10mm carbine.

An example of a 10mm carbine is [​IMG]

I think any one would die for a nice Henry - I know I find them beautiful and extremely functional and all with that lever and octagonal barrel and all....... but a semi-auto carbine really does it for me!

PS - I'd buy a black one though.... and I'll be trying to fool my wife too..............

Smoke Jenson likes this.
  15. Smoke Jenson

Smoke Jenson

Yep, you read right through me... lol!

I know... I love 10mm! And the thought of pairing a G20 with that carbine, very cool!

Yeah, I shot a .44 mag Blackhawk when I was a teenager, some 40 years ago, and it tingled my soul. Been wanting one ever since.

Now if I can just convince my wife to stop wasting money on the mortgage and groceries and stuff, and spend it on life saving firearms, I'm in business! :dancing:

IAhunter likes this.
  16. LinuxLover

I'm one log splitter repair away from enough 'secret funds' to buy my carbine from a dealer here in Hamilton.

I say 'secret funds' in that I NEVER put them in my wallet - because I'm married should suffice for an explanation.......

Smoke Jenson likes this.
  17. Smoke Jenson

Smoke Jenson

Well that is just awful and wrong! Not to mention a violation of the sanctity of marri

Ok never mind, sorry about that, wife was in the room...

Oh yeah baby, I know all about "secret funds"!!! Hurry up and get that splitter fixed, I want to see that carbine.

18. F14A

F14A

19. Smoke Jenson

Smoke Jenson

Possibly my favorite movie of all time. Just watched it again night before last. The boys in the office and I quote it all the time. Could get us in trouble one of these days... I work on an Indian Reservation.

F14A likes this.
  20. Dog Soldier

Dog Soldier NRA Benefactor

That movie is a fun fantasy. Mtn Men never stayed in the Mtns during the Winter. Humm, unless they were dead.
    A rifle or carbine will be lost during the first charge of the Grizz. Carrying a 10 MM in a cross chest holster may survive the first attack. :drillsgt: