Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As promised (see thread on Robar closing here) https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/robar-gunsmithing-closed-my-experience.1787964/

Quick recap- commissioned a full custom build at Robar a few months before they closed down. Was done right by everyone involved. No complaints- stand-up treatment all around. Thanks, Col. Blish and Tyler Jones (now @Havok_Customs).

Jim Gritus and Marty Enloe (Gritus Precision and @enloemarty) took the Caspian 9mm slide and LW frame that I had ordered through Robar at the beginning and built a BADASS little Officer.

Jim and Marty were absolutely amazing to work with- I could not have asked for a better experience with my first full custom build. Especially since it started out with what could have been every customer's worst nightmare. I actually had a lot of fun emailing and talking to them over the course of this build, and I'll definitely call them when I get some money saved up.... I already have plans for a .38Super upper for this gun!

It's exactly what I wanted. A "Retro-style" carry gun. Classic lines, everything fit for me. So if you're not into the style, cool. I absolutely love it!

Caspian frame and slide, Bar-Sto barrel and bushing, Wilson Combat BP parts, including Concealment BT safety and hammer, W/C ignition, 10-8 sights, front gold bead, Grieder trigger, W/C flush magazines, all finished off in Nickel Teflon, with a set of Cherokee Hills Exotic Organic Stippled slim Ironwood grips (Thanks, Bob @Gripwright!)

The only part I sent in was an old Hogue aluminum Arched MSH, and that's because I'd ground it to fit my hand and to make it point just right for me. Jim and Marty cleaned it up and stippled it to match the front strap.

Without further ado...
Firearm Gun Trigger Starting pistol Gun accessory
Firearm Gun Trigger Revolver Gun accessory

I'll have a range report up as soon as I can... I love my kids SOOO much, but this Covid Homeschooling is a [email protected]!

I fully expect it to run like an industrial sewing machine. Fit is excellent, no play in anything, and lockup is glass-smooth and rock-solid. Besides, I know Jim and Marty shot the hell out of it already.

Thanks, guys!

·
Super Moderator
4,055 Posts
Looks really nice, clean and classy. Do you have a photo of the other side?

Reactions: FullClip

·
Native Mainiac
26,329 Posts
It ain't even Saint Patrick's Day, but I'm turning green with envy!!

Nice looking pistol there @unclecharlie . Hope you have fun with it and looking forward to the range report when you get to try it out.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hand Finger Recreation Plant Revolver

Afterw two weeks, I finally got to shoot my new Gritus Precision LW Officer 9. Sorta embarrassing how long it took, considering I started carrying it on day 1.

Well, got some nice weather and a chance to sneak over to my "secret" shooting spot yesterday.... Damn. DAMN!

Turns out, my little Officer is a BLAST to shoot. So fun- and just ate EVERYTHING I stuffed in it!

Very soft-shooting and easy to keep on target... 9mm is such a joy in a 1911. Even a lightweight. Returns to target so fast, like it just WANTS to.
Most importantly, in the 200 rounds I had time to shoot, I had ZERO hitches, snags, failures, hang-ups, or any issues of any kind. Reliability was my first concern, and Jim and Marty delivered. Frankly, I expected it, as Jim and Marty kept me posted throughout the build, and I know how much testing and tweaking they did. But it's one thing to expect it to run well, and another thing entirely to FEEL the gun cycling so smoothly on my first run.

I only got to shoot a couple hundred rounds through it (kids were hanging out by the truck wearing ears and watching Dad empty magazines), but I fed it every type of ammo I had in the truck stash:
100 rounds Federal FMJ 115grain,
50 rounds of maybe UMC FMJ?
and another 50 rounds of mixed defensive ammo- Fiocchi Extrema, Gold Dot +P, Hornady Critical-something (with the plastic dot in the nose), and some Federal +P Hydra-Shoks (with the big-ol' cavity up front).

I ran the hollowpoints at the end, when it was dirty. Didn't matter. It cycled as smooth at the end as it did when it was clean. Actually, I sorta felt like it got SMOOTHER. It was weird, but definitely noticeable. Assuming it was the Nickel Teflon finish, maybe? Didn't lube it, either.

Extraction and ejection was like a sewing machine, no matter what I put in it. The brass landed about 4-5, maybe 6 feet away, depending on what ammo I was shooting. I feel like if I'd been shooting one type of ammo and staying still, I could put most of it in a 5-gallon bucket beside and a little behind me.

As you can see from the picture, the gun grouped tighter than I could standing, shooting fast, and without a rest. Might try it off a sandbag next time to see what it can really do. I LOVE the front sight- the gold bead is awesome in any reasonable amount of light. It picks up SO fast in sunlight or shadow.

I suppose it sounds like I'm raving pretty hard on it right now. I guess that's true.
All told, though, I am EXTREMELY happy with it so far- it's set up just right, built better than any of my production guns, and performs exactly as I was hoping. It just RUNS, and feels like it wants to run more as you shoot it. It's SOOOO much fun. I have NO hesitation about carrying it. And Bob's grips, of course, are stunning.

Thanks, guys. I'm a happy little dude.

Attachments

·
Registered
781 Posts
Sweet build, love the front strap stippling (got any pics of the stippling on the MSH?). Those grips are unique and beautiful as well.

Dan

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I busted my phone screen on a rock on Sunday. But hopefully I'll have a replacement phone (with a MUCH better camera) this week. Will try to get some decent pictures to post when I get it.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
The more you shoot it, the better it will shoot and the better you will shoot it. Funny how that works and how it really works great with something you can be proud of and something really fun to shoot.

·
1911 lover
10,174 Posts
Nice looking.. To be honest I have never owned a 9mm 1911. I own a pile of 10mm and 45acp. I bought a commander sized 10mm 1911 and love it. Maybe a full custom CCO or Comander 10mm some day. I know sig I think has a 357 sig 1911.. that might also be fun. You have a beautiful looking custom gun. I hope you put a zillion rounds thru it and love every one.

·
Registered
127,176 Posts
Nice looking.. To be honest I have never owned a 9mm 1911. I own a pile of 10mm and 45acp. I bought a commander sized 10mm 1911 and love it. Maybe a full custom CCO or Comander 10mm some day. I know sig I think has a 357 sig 1911.. that might also be fun. You have a beautiful looking custom gun. I hope you put a zillion rounds thru it and love every one.
I never owned one either.

Closest I got was a Star Model B

1 - 18 of 18 Posts