close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Gripe Time: Airport Hell With Insulin Pump

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by jasonvp, Jan 14, 2010.

1. jasonvp

jasonvp Kantre Member Lifetime Member

*grumble*

Since I started wearing an insulin pump back in '05, I've never once had an issue going through the magnet in the airport. The machines were always set on a low enough level of sensitivity, that the teeny amount of metal in the pump (all of one AAA battery) wouldn't set them off.

Tuesday I flew to Detroit to hit the auto show during the Industry Preview days. My pump set off the alarm. And because of this, I received the wonderful full body pat-down search which is fairly embarrassing.

Hoping that it was just an anomaly, I went to Detroit's airport this morning to fly home, and sure enough, another pat-down.

I travel by plane so infrequently because I just despise it. Now I hate it even more.

jas (the tango)

2. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

They probably ramped it up. {The detection level}

There is a thread about a gun getting through at Denver right now.

Can you get a medical certificate from your doctor, like people with metal implants do? Might streamline things.

EDIT TO ADD: I was wrong. Could have sworn I saw "Denver" in the thread title. It was Bozeman, Montana.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2010

3. jasonvp

I'll ask my Endo about that, thanks for the suggestion. I have a feeling that, given the heightened security level everyone's (supposedly) operating under, even folks with implants may end up getting a pat-down or at least pulled aside and wanded.

jas

4. Ol Timer

Ol Timer ↓ hog hunter ↓ Millennium Member

I get pat down every time I fly. I know so beforehand, know the reason and expect it. I don't find it to be embarrassing at all.

Didn't TSA use discretion?

5. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

I have a friend who has 8 screws in his leg and his job is to fly all over the world to support software. He manages somehow. I did notice that he wears a belt with no buckle and shoes with no laces.

6. Fungunner

Fungunner

I just tell them how I get turned on by blue latex gloves and tell them to pat away. Who's more embarrassed?

7. jasonvp

I guess that's where I respectfully disagree with you. I find it embarrassing for anyone to have their hands on me unless he/she is A)a family member or loved one, or B)a doctor. I don't need a plastic-gloved jockey patting around my crotch or backside.

Such as? They didn't offer to do this in a room, if that's what you're asking. It was out in the open. This of course after I got "quarantined" (haha) in that little plastic room both times.

It's an insulin pump. They know what insulin pumps are. If they want to JUST wand me, that's fine. Wand me, see that the pump is the only thing setting off the magnet alarm, and send me on my way. But instead they have me do a complete "Undo your pants, roll them outwards, etc" bull crap.

No thanks.

jas

8. Carrys

Carrys Inquisitive

I can tell you from personal experience, it doesn't help in the least.

I have an medicine pump under my skin, about the belt line on my right side. Showed them the scar, they felt the pump. Showed them the "official" card I received from the Dr when they put it in, no dice. They thought it may contain explosives. I'm not going to repeat what they did, but it wasn't good. For them or me.

I'll never fly again. Never. Not as long as the passengers are treated in a way they refuse to treat potential terrorists. I'm still angered over the story of the Ex-head of El Al's security. He wrote the TSA a letter, offering to take any airport of their choosing, and see if they could train the people and implement the polices of El Al in searching for terrorists.

The TSA wrote him back and said, go to hell.

They aren't about security. They're about control of the people they want control of, us. They're so afraid some "wrong type" of person will sue them for something, they'll make all of us do silly *hit. And don't forget where the TSA employees first came from, something they don't want or like to talk about.

9. Ol Timer

Ol Timer ↓ hog hunter ↓ Millennium Member

Yes, that is BS. If they require you do undo any article of clothing, even so much as unbuttoning a shirt button, they should ask you if you prefer a private area.

If I was asked to undo my pants in public, I would file a written complaint with TSA, the airline (who may or may not kick it in the proper direction) and the airport.

10. DriBak

DriBak GUNS UP Millennium Member

<- Enjoys the pat downs from the over weight females with their wonderful BO and bad teeth. :)

11. true believer

true believer Super Moderator Moderator

yep i agree..or after i undid them i'd let them fall...did i forget to mention when i fly i fly commando..:whistling:
    :rofl: