close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Grip Work

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by The Goose, May 1, 2006.

1. The Goose

The Goose

On my road back to overall physical fitness I have revived my interest in strengthening my grip. I have always found this to be a relatively fun aspect of training. I can do it at off times or in between workouts without too much overall strain on my system.

My mainstay are the Ironmind grippers. I have the full set from trainer to #4, but have never gotten past #2. I keep these with me every day and use them during a break or sitting in the car when early for an appt. etc. My goal is to be able to close the #3 (someday). I also do thick grip dumbbell work, weighted finger curls, wristrolling, and a half dozen other grip exercises on various arcane devices.

Another favorite is the Rolling Thunder. It is a 2" or 2.5" thick one handed deadlift handle that is smooth and revolves so that you really have to grip it, a claw or hook won't work, to lift. It has a vertical tube to stack weights on that hooks to the handle with a carabiner. Very challenging.

Anyone else work their grip specifically and what type of exercises do you do?

2. Slotback

Slotback Glock 35 Millennium Member

Do you perform fingertip pushups?

3. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

Don't do it so frequently. Train the gripping muscles like any other. You don't bench or squat several times each day, so why train grip like that?

4. BCR

BCR BIGASS!!!!

Ever try pinch gripping 2 45lb plates?

Smooth sides out is fun...and painful!

5. The Goose

The Goose

I gave the wrong impression. I only work my grip 2 - 3 times per week,usually on Cardio days, but keep the grippers with me to make sure that I always find time. I train from 5:00 AM to 6:00 AM, once the day starts life seems to get crazy and grip work is just one of those fun things that I can squeeze in at odd times. I learned long ago about overtraining in general. These days when I lift it is a few "big" movements with intensity in a relatively short amount of time. At 55 I am focussing a lot more on cardio vascular health then getting stronger, but I always enjoyed grip training.

BCR, I sometimes pinch grip plates. Painful yes, fun (no)! LOL