close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

grip width... glock vs mk9/40

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Banger 19, Apr 17, 2007.

1. Banger 19

Banger 19

is the grip width of a kahr mk9/mk40 the same size as a glock 26?
    I seen a picture of a glock side by side to a mkp w/ wood grips and it looks the same. can some one post a pic from the back looking at the grips of both the g-26 and mk9 w/ stock grips side by side?

2. FreeMe

FreeMe

I do believe (assuming the same widths as the K9 that I have, as measured against a G26), that the stock-gripped MK9 is thinner through the grip than the G26. But the wood grips are thicker and bring the outer dimensions closer. Still - when I measured my wood-gripped K9 against a G26, the G26 was just a little thicker through the grip. I did have to measure it to really know.

3. Banger 19

Banger 19

4. Banger 19

Banger 19

If you put a sraight edge on the picture you can notice the grip is almost the same width as the slide/frame. The picture of the mk9 with wood grips used w/ a straight edge you can clearly see how much the grip sticks out from the width of the frame. Any one elese notice this?

5. ecmills

ecmills I shoot guns.

I've got some pictures of my CW9 next to my G34, and my friend's G19. I'll post 'em when I get home.

6. FreeMe

FreeMe

As a former semi-pro photographer, I know full well that (contrary to popular belief) pictures lie. The only way to really know is to get out your calipers (or someone else's) and measure.

The G26 is reported (I don't have one here to measure)to have a width of 1.18" or 1.25", depending on who you're reading. Since the sources I find don't mention whether they measured across the slide or the grip, I'm inclined to believe that the smaller measurement is for the slide and the larger is for the grip. I do know that the grip is slightly wider than the slide, from examining samples myself.

My personal K9 measures 0.792" across the slide. With rubber grips, the grip measurement is 1.130", and with the wood it is 1.175".

As you can do the math, even the wood grips measure 0.005" thinner than the slimmest Glock measurement (which I am sure is for the slide only). No matter how you slice it, Kahr still beats the Glock in slide thickness by a significant margin.

Now - the MK9 comes stock with hard nylon grips. I personally would leave those grips (which are thinner than the available wood grips) on the pistol for carry. With these grips, the MK9 has an even larger dimensional advantage over any Glock.

7. USDefender

USDefender Lay Them Waste!

I've held & shot both. I own the Kahr (a K40 Covert: 'MK'-size grips, full-length slide) - wouldn't own the Glock.

Why? Ergonomics.

Glock's suck (too thick to allow me to have a proper shooting-grip) while the Kahrs' feel thinner and (at least for me) lend themselves to better concealability.

8. SonnyD

SonnyD

Thank You! That was the very information I was looking for, especially on the difference between the rubber and wood grips.
    Regards Sonny